Are Caribou Game Bags really worth the hype?

Lytro

WKR
I've used a set of Caribou's for a few seasons, and they're still holding up. I vac seal them, put them in my kit in the bottom of my pack, use, wash, repeat. They're what you should expect for a reusable game bag, but I don't see how they're really any better than similar brands. I think a guy could potentially save some money, and get the same results, by finding the right size/fabric pillowcases from a thrift store and add a drawstring to them.

PA Hunter

WKR
my bud has tag bags and i have caribou bags that are more than 11 years old. cant tell the difference in them and mine have packed out elk, bou, deer and moose. you might find a nick or two in mine because they have been used often. snagged on bone or branches etc. i cant speak for his since he dont use them much and i haven't seen them recently.
Caribou copied off tag bags.

Kelleyss

FNG
After all the replies I'm wondering if I got a bad batch...I say this because I hauled out a deer last year, one elk this year them and 3 of the bags got holes in them after the elk haul.

After all the replies I'm wondering if I got a bad batch...I say this because I hauled out a deer last year, one elk this year them and 3 of the bags got holes in them after the elk haul.
Yea seems weird. I’ve used the same bags for years and they have held up great. Multiple animals and washings and they are great

I'm a tag bag guy. I've had people come up to hunt and leave caribou bags and kuiu bags at my house. I've used them a few times now. Usually at the same time as I'm using tag bags. I like the tag bags personally. I feel like they breathe orders of magnitude better. And there is something in me that likes to support the original for anything that's made.

Me and a hunting partner literally threw bags full of mtn goat meat 2000 feet down a mtn double bagged in tag bags during a February goat hunt where we had to get down quick. I could've got away using a single bag just fine. The outside bags are still in use today.

Clarktar

WKR
Same as William, the only bags I use and I enjoy supporting the company who brought them about. Pristine Ventures has the best customer support, hands down.

@william schmaltz sent you a PM. I'd like to hear that goat story.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Caribou Gear did copy TAG Bags back in 2002/03 but they are good bags. Because someone mentioned holes in their bags....here's a quick vid to show how to repair without a fuss.