Are you ready? got all the knowledge you need when all hell breaks loose.

Broomd

WKR
If ‘it’ does happen, I feel sorry for anyone living in the lower 48. Most of you are doomed. Virtually every one of you, even survivors and those well prepared will definitively be subject to much brutality around you.
I suspect remote areas with some natural resources including fish and game could get a fella by for a few months till the chaos died down a bit.

Irony...
I'd be more worried about yourself and those who have to deal with -50* and 4' of snow, 7-8 months of Winter. We did it for many years. The misery factor is off the charts.
Honestly, I'll take my chances in the lower 48.
The best chance at survival is with a very closely knit road / neighborhood / community. Many sq. miles of nearby woods are an obvious perk.
It's about essentials: water, food, shelter/warmth, meds, safety and protection of your supplies.

Will_m

WKR
I find this bug out concept endlessly entertaining. I especially love the whole bug out bag thing. It’s absolutely hilarious to think of a guy frantically abandoning his house full of food, water, ammo and general security to run into the woods with some sort of magical backpack. It’s like guys who feel like they need to have a handgun in the shower. It never gets old. Keep me coming...
Yeah but think how much more tacticool it is to have a bug out bag.

CorbLand

WKR
Irony...
I'd be more worried about yourself and those who have to deal with -50* and 4' of snow, 7-8 months of Winter. We did it for many years. The misery factor is off the charts.
The best chance at survival is with a very closely knit road / neighborhood / community. Many sq. miles of nearby woods are an obvious perk.
It's about essentials: water, food, shelter/warmth, meds, safety and protection of your supplies.
I was thinking the same thing. How much of the ability to live places is simply because of modern conveniences? Arizona without AC or Alaska without heat would be brutally hard. Not impossible but damn.

I have said it once in this thread. Part of what makes life nice is the conveniences we have. Everyone thinks it will be super fun to live like they do in the TV shows or movies but honestly, I think it would be great for a month but much longer than that, nope. Going camping is fun but its nice to come back to a shower.

cod007

Lil-Rokslider
Irony...
I’m FROM Minnesota originally. Much warmer here where I’m at. Rains often in Dec here. Sometimes even Jan.
Never seen even close to 50 below here. Coldest about -25. Rare tho.
Wood stove heat. River below. Fresh spring water year round. 5 minutes from ocean. Yearly salmon runs. Migratory waterfowl. Berries, mushrooms, greens.
I’m not leaving home unless just to hide in the bushes for a few minutes.
Don’t have to feel sorry for too many up here. Some of us may make it. I would expect the world to start to regroup in a years time or so.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Books for reference are great, but if you don't have a solid handle on the topic before hand spinning up will probably take too long. Building foraging skills takes years, just like no one reads a book and then has hunting down.

"Hotwiring" a car is for criminals in a world that works. Look at the Colonial Pipeline incident, there will be no gas to run them long before there is enough justification to steal. There are some rare scenarios that would be exceptions, but I can think of a lot of other skills that would be more valuable. That includes in gorilla war/resistance, which is where the skill would have the most value. For example, "hotwiring" modern cars looks more like network penetration, and learning that would be significantly more valuable.

I’m FROM Minnesota originally. Much warmer here where I’m at. Rains often in Dec here. Sometimes even Jan.
Never seen even close to 50 below here. Coldest about -25. Rare tho.
Wood stove heat. River below. Fresh spring water year round. 5 minutes from ocean. Yearly salmon runs. Migratory waterfowl. Berries, mushrooms, greens.
I’m not leaving home unless just to hide in the bushes for a few minutes.
Don’t have to feel sorry for too many up here. Some of us may make it. I would expect the world to start to regroup in a years time or so.

Stop inviting Rambo zombies.

HuntingIndian

Lil-Rokslider
speaking of SHTF, are there any mechanical/automatic [no batteries], watch with compass and may be thermometer and doesnt cost a ton

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
speaking of SHTF, are there any mechanical/automatic [no batteries], watch with compass and may be thermometer and doesnt cost a ton

Not that I'm aware of, even on the expensive stuff. The most effective kit would be to separate them all out anyway.

Of course, you could put one of the cheap little compasses on the band.

A Casio Protrek tough solar would get you by for 10 years or so. They will run 6 months without sunlight and just wearing it get it enough sun to stay fully charged. Gives compass, baro, and thermometer.

20210908_113859.jpg

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
Not that I'm aware of, even on the expensive stuff. The most effective kit would be to separate them all out anyway.

A Casio Protrek tough solar would get you by for 10 years or so. They will run 6 months without sunlight and just wearing it get it enough sun to stay fully charged. Gives compass, baro, and thermometer.

View attachment 324589
Thanks for this post Marbles.

Never heard of this watch, but I'll sure will be looking into one.

There are at least 20 different models from a quick search so picking the right one might take some time. Pun, pun, pun.

Lastly, from a guy who has not worn a watch for at least 15 years thanks to cell phones, that looks like a wristclock to me. :D

Eddie

View attachment 324589
Do they wirelessly connect though Bluetooth or WiFi, anything?

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Do they wirelessly connect though Bluetooth or WiFi, anything?

No. Which is much of the reason the battery lasts on just solar. However, the cost is as much as some smart watches while having significantly less functionality. I live with my watch on though, and don't have an interest in needing to take it off and charge it at night. Nor do I want to deal with the update and replacement cycle that comes with something like a Garmin Fenix, though as a gear head I keep drooling over them.

No. Which is much of the reason the battery lasts on just solar. However, the cost is as much as some smart watches while having significantly less functionality. I live with my watch on though, and don't have an interest in needing to take it off and charge it at night. Nor do I want to deal with the update and replacement cycle that comes with something like a Garmin Fenix, though as a gear head I keep drooling over them.
That's the answer I wanted, personally.

HuntingIndian

Lil-Rokslider

View attachment 324589

IWC Porsche Design Compass Watch - https://www.iwc.com/us/en/articles/journal/iwc-porsche-design-compass-watch.html

Too rich for my blood.

there are some vintage stuff and not so decent looking.

After reading all the comments I am saddened by the lack of solid survival info from members of Rokslide, and now realize we all could have gleaned so much wisdom from the ALONE GUY. It is unfortunate that the staff went Lord of the Flies on him when he had all those run on paragraphs of mysterious knowledge he tried to share with us. Half cryptologist and half survivalist, ALONE GUY would have had all the answers to our questions and more. Perhaps before the fall of mankind, ALONE GUY will return to save us all….

Last edited:
After reading all the comments I am saddened by the lack of solid survival info from members of Rokslide, and now realize we all could have gleaned so much wisdom from the ALONE GUY. It is unfortunate that the staff went Lord of the Flies on him when he had all those run on paragraphs of mysterious knowledge he tried to share with us. Half cryptologist and half survivalist, ALONE GUY would have had all the answers to our questions and more. Perhaps before the fall of mankind, ALONE GUY will return to save us all….

A modern messiah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nphunter

WKR
Some of these comments crack me up. Common sense will go a long way if SHTF.

I already spend over a month each year in a tent so the no showering part or eating sparse meals wouldn't bother me at all. I live out of city limits, 2 miles from NF and 5 miles from a massive wilderness. My pond has fish, my freezer is full of elk and deer and I have a dozen deer each day in my lawn.

I have plenty of arrows to hunt and plenty of bullets to stop anyone who tries to take what is mine, if it gets bad enough I can be to the wilderness boundary in about 15 minutes where I could disappear for eternity, honestly I've thought a lot about doing just that over the past couple of years.

Lelder

Lil-Rokslider
My wife and I are, I think sensible about being prepared. We have a supply of food, supplies and water that we feel comfortable with to “weather a storm” for approx 3 months. I live in the city and last year during the MOSTLY PEACEFUL (lol) protests my neighbor asked to borrow ammo cause he had none. Then during the lockdown I gave him some food essentials. Him and his wife have a new SUV, hot tub, and Amazon deliveries all the time. But no 12ga shells or eggs???!!!! Got me wondering if my house is surrounded by people like that.

*zap*

WKR
^Lelder I think you would be surprised at how many people in urban areas have no food/supplies put up but have a years worth of tp. Personally, I have been buying freeze dried meals as I can afford them, even 50,000 calories of light weight food may be handy to have if I need to disappear into the hinterland for a bit while everyone else fights for food. I need to set up my dehydrator and a processing station and get another 50,000 in dehydrated foods...pemmican looks like it lasts forever if you make it right.