What Fish Would You And The Kids Want To Catch?

strousek

Lil-Rokslider
My wife is a director for a non-profit in northern Colorado where they teach everything outdoors to mostly youth and young adults. They have a total of 12 ponds on their property that have not been stocked in a decade or better. A couple of the ponds have some real trophy bass in them however most of the ponds have severely stunted bass and seem to be very overpopulated. There are healthy bluegill and shad populations throughout and one pond has some decent crappie fishing. Most all the ponds have common carp that are simply taking up biomass in my opinion and need to get out.

This year they were awarded a grant to stock the ponds with some fish of choice, and enough money to stock a large population of fish. Given the thriving largemouth populations throughout I feel as if there are no options to try and establish any form of long term new species in these ponds. The naturally reproducing bass will eat and out compete any newly introduced species I feel. Since these grants are use it or lose it they need to find fish this spring to stock whether it be for sport or possibly even to feed larger bass.

I figured I would go on here to see what the Rokslide people would prefer if you had this opportunity to stock a bass pond of your own. Again mostly kids using fly and spin fishing gear to catch these fish for sport and not for keeping.

A few ideas have been to stock tiger musky to help reduce the bass population in a couple ponds are help get some more trophy size largemouth. Trout are always a fun option for the kids to catch but I doubt they last through the hot summer months. Smallmouth and Walleye sound fun to me however they can be a little more difficult for a novice youth angler to catch. These are spring fed ponds so no moving water and average about 15-20 feet deep is all. Open to any ideas you have. Picture is of my son with your average bass out there you can catch by the dozens.

Attachments

• 20220703_200106 (002).jpg
    20220703_200106 (002).jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 67
Sounds like they already have what they need to let people have fun. It wont get much more fun than catching Bass on lures. You said its all catch and release so good eating fish wouldn't have a purpose. That said, if you had to add fish I would just go with some panfish for the kids to catch on worms.

OP
strousek

strousek

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like they already have what they need to let people have fun. It wont get much more fun than catching Bass on lures. You said its all catch and release so good eating fish wouldn't have a purpose. That said, if you had to add fish I would just go with some panfish for the kids to catch on worms.
That is the stupid thing is they don't need to stock a single fish in these ponds. Got to love the good old government grants of use it or lose it... and if you don't use it we wont let you apply for other grants in the future. I am pushing to find a way to get the grant used for crayfish to feed everything.

sram9102

WKR
Can you use it for supplemental feeding? Or stocking several pounds of fathead minnows or whatever baitfish is recommended locally?

cnelk

WKR
Edit - if it’s all C&R maybe as well stock crap fish

Last edited:

ptarmigan

FNG
Kids want to catch whatever they can catch a lot of. That's one of the reasons why my boys enjoy going back to Maine in the summer to visit. Get into schools of white perch and catch fish all day. Much more fun for them then backtrolling for Kings for hours.

WCB

WKR
Learn how to catch carp. One of the best fighting fish out there. But I agree Bass fishing is for beginners.

Rich M

WKR
It sounds like the ponds are fine as is.

If those are the stunted bass, you are doing something amazing.

Crappie are great eating.

Laramie

WKR
I would focus on panfish species as they will increase the food supply to grow larger bass. I would break up what is stocked between the ponds. For instance, sunfish in ponds 1-3. Blue gill in ponds 4-6, Yellow Perch in ponds 7-9, and something else in 10-12. I would also stock channel catfish but only in 2-3 of the ponds.

All of that said, I would talk to biologists from the state to get their input. I'm guessing you could get some great free help.

fatlander

WKR
Teach the kids to catch, clean, cook, and eat bass.

Seriously though, stocking more feed and taking out bass is the best option. Putting more predators in an already predator heavy environment is a bad idea.

Contact your local field office of Colorado’s Fish and Wildlife. Ask to speak with the fisheries biologist for your area. Explain what you’re non profit is, and what you’re going to do with the grant. Ask them to come to an electro fishing survey and demonstration for the kids.

I used to work in fisheries management for our state game and fish, and as a part of our outreach, we would come out and shock ponds for these types of situations. We’d usually do a 3 pass depletion to make a good population estimate then make suggestions from there. If it was incredibly predator heavy we wouldn’t put a certain number of bass back that day.

This would be a great time to get the kids out and let them see an electro fishing demo while having the biologists and staff there to to explain sound fisheries management.

Whatever you do, DO NOT PUT CRAPPIE IN YOUR PONDS. If you think you’ve got stunted bass now, you have no clue what crappie will do to a small fishery with limited forage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Teach the kids to catch, clean, cook, and eat bass.

Seriously though, stocking more feed and taking out bass is the best option. Putting more predators in an already predator heavy environment is a bad idea.

Contact your local field office of Colorado’s Fish and Wildlife. Ask to speak with the fisheries biologist for your area. Explain what you’re non profit is, and what you’re going to do with the grant. Ask them to come to an electro fishing survey and demonstration for the kids.

I used to work in fisheries management for our state game and fish, and as a part of our outreach, we would come out and shock ponds for these types of situations. We’d usually do a 3 pass depletion to make a good population estimate then make suggestions from there. If it was incredibly predator heavy we wouldn’t put a certain number of bass back that day.

This would be a great time to get the kids out and let them see an electro fishing demo while having the biologists and staff there to to explain sound fisheries management.

Whatever you do, DO NOT PUT CRAPPIE IN YOUR PONDS. If you think you’ve got stunted bass now, you have no clue what crappie will do to a small fishery with limited forage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree with almost everything. If forage is short a guy can get fathead minnows to supplement. They will also reproduce and never get more than a few inches long. You can get like 1,200 of them to add forage to a pond around here for like $60.

Stock trout in a smaller pond as soon as temps get cool. Let the kids keep them, teach them to catch, clean, cook, etc. You may have some holdovers, or you may just be feeding bigger bass, but neither is really a bad thing. Otherwise I agree with Bluegill, perch, and bass.

Another vote here for Wipers or striped bass. Guessing sandy bottom and not much structure.

Pelicans will have a hay day with panfish!

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk