Arrow inserts pulling out.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Hello,

I recently got some arrows from a well known company and when I shot them this evening, every insert pulled out and got stuck inside my 3d target on the first shot.

Is this normal? I figured it would happen eventually but every single one, on the first shot…has this ever happened to anybody?

I emailed the customer service, I’ll see what they say.

I should also add: I was not burying these things in the target, I was using my wife’s 25lb bow from about 20 yards away.

Rob5589

WKR
Did they even look to have glue on them? I always purchase shafts only now but recently bought fletched arrows and the inserts were loose for at home install.

Sounds like they weren’t glued in. Possibly bad glue and bad adhesion or the inside of the arrow was dirty when they were glued in making the adhesion bad.

oldgoat

WKR
I absolutely don't trust the glue jobs done by archery shops! I also only use the Black Colored Super Glue, used a couple different brands and it always holds, but I also never keep a bottle for more than a couple months and replace it. Preparation preparation preparation, shops generally don't have time to do it all right it seems!

BBob

WKR
I also only use the Black Colored Super Glue

Same here, Loctite Black Max. It’s rubberized and made for high impacts and vibration. I’ve used it for uni-bushings and inserts for 25 years or more. A little expensive but so easy to use. Keep it in the refrigerator to greatly extend its shelf life.

Rob5589

WKR
From my experience.......yes, if they used hotmelt.

I only use 2-part 24-hour epoxy on all my inserts. I don't want them coming out or even breaking loose when hitting hard stuff.
I've been using the low temp Bohning on some carbons for my recurve while tuning and have yet to lose a point/insert even in my 18-1. It's pliable when cured unlike the usual stuff that hardens.

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider
I use a copper gun cleaning brush and wire the insides, then acetone, then hot melt. I put the hot melt on the insert, then reheat the insert with the glue until I see it start to form small bubbles then put it in while twisting until it's seated. Then a quick dip in cool water and clean off the extra.

Haven't lost one yet. Plus I can switch inserts if I ever need to.

I'd be surprised if they used hot melt unless you specifically requested it. In my experience, arrow builders default to permanent adhesive and most don't even advertise hot melt as an option for carbon shafts. Even if they did use hot melt, you shouldn't be regularly losing inserts in a target if it was applied properly. I use hot melt exclusively and have had very few inserts pull out, maybe 3 or 4 over thousands of shots. Those that did pull out were either in an especially tight target or in something I didn't intend to hit (tree, lumber backstop, etc).

I would guess that the arrow builder dry fit your inserts to check the fit then forgot or got distracted and failed to pull the inserts back out and apply adhesive.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I'd be surprised if they used hot melt unless you specifically requested it. In my experience, arrow builders default to permanent adhesive and most don't even advertise hot melt as an option for carbon shafts. Even if they did use hot melt, you shouldn't be regularly losing inserts in a target if it was applied properly. I use hot melt exclusively and have had very few inserts pull out, maybe 3 or 4 over thousands of shots. Those that did pull out were either in an especially tight target or in something I didn't intend to hit (tree, lumber backstop, etc).

I would guess that the arrow builder dry fit your inserts to check the fit then forgot or got distracted and failed to pull the inserts back out and apply adhesive.
It really sucks because now I dont have arrows to shoot because I don't have any inserts and a bunch of nice field points are inside my targets.

The company still has not responded.

It really sucks because now I dont have arrows to shoot because I don't have any inserts and a bunch of nice field points are inside my targets.

The company still has not responded.
Hopefully they will make it right with a refund or replacement. You could consider buying your own inserts and gluing them in yourself if they won't.

GLB

WKR
Depends how deep the inserts are in the target, but I have pulled them out with needle nosed pliers.

I have good luck using the low heat hot melt for my inserts. Makes it easy to change components.

oldgoat

WKR
I use a copper gun cleaning brush and wire the insides, then acetone, then hot melt. I put the hot melt on the insert, then reheat the insert with the glue until I see it start to form small bubbles then put it in while twisting until it's seated. Then a quick dip in cool water and clean off the extra.

Haven't lost one yet. Plus I can switch inserts if I ever need to.
I have done exact same for years, then I bought Victory VAPS and also Black Eagle Instincts and had horrible luck with Hot Melt! Kind of think maybe something to do with smaller diameter giving less grip area, I don't know, but now I use the Black Super Glue on them, others I still use Hot Melt with good success!

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
The company asked for pics today so I sent some. It dosent even seem like there’s any adhesive at all.

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider
I have done exact same for years, then I bought Victory VAPS and also Black Eagle Instincts and had horrible luck with Hot Melt! Kind of think maybe something to do with smaller diameter giving less grip area, I don't know, but now I use the Black Super Glue on them, others I still use Hot Melt with good success!

Thats odd. I'm running victory micros in one of my setups and haven't lost one. Maybe I've just been lucky. But like Dad used to say, if it ain't broke don't try and fix it.