Arrows and bows....

So I have come terms with the fact that despite the type of arrows I like (Easton Axis) my bow (Hoyt GM II) like Gold Tips. I have tried my best to get the relationship to work, but it just didn't quite work out. They stayed friends, but never got intimate. However, with the GT's, my bow seems to have an immediate connection and I can shoot lights out with them. It really makes me wonder. So I did a bit of experimenting and it seems that going over 125gr up front makes a huge difference and it's much more difficult to get the Axis to go up, unlike the process on the GT's. Right now the GT's I am using have 145gr up front and they shoot extremely well. It also seems that they take up a bit of my inconsistency and really help guide the arrow better. It seems like a lighter arrow and heavy tip is a better combo for consistency and accuracy vs. a heavy arrow and light tip. This is just my observation, and I've only been testing this out over the last couple of weeks. Ryan got me all spun up with his tuning videos. I've never used a broadhead at this weight, but I am going to start.

So, has anyone else had a similar issue with their bow?

I had similar issues. But once I watched Ryan's videos on arrow tuning it helped out a lot. Also check out Stu's Calculator. It will get you in the ball park with spine and point weight. Ryan is one of the best guys I have meet and always willing to help.

I know you mentioned that you're shooting off of a elevated rest. Are you also using a plunger? When I shot ilf, metal riser bows, I used a "shorty plunger" and it was one of the best "tuning tools". I started the tuning process with a "stiff plunger" (replacing spring with a match stick of equal length) and setting the arrow slightly off center. Then I would tune the arrow (arrow length, tip weight). Once I was in the ball park, I used the different springs and tension to get extreme forgiveness. This really helped me when I wanted to switch between arrow brands.

Other things that I've noticed:

Although only slightly different, the arrow diameters are different, so nock height may need to be adjusted and the larger diameter will sit a hair further away from the strike plate (an easy fix with a plunger). Also, if you're using a double nock, you may need to adjust the difference between your nocks depending on arrow nock size.

Although arrows advertise spine, let's say .400, they are not all spined the same. Sometimes not even within the same brand/model/dozen.

I prefer a higher foc but it's not necessary. I've tuned arrows with as much as 450grs upfront. This past year, I hunted with 375grs upfront. It was a unique set up but it worked. When tuning for my everyday hunting rig, I usually end up between 175-225 upfront. In the past, I had a really good set up with a 145gr tip and standard insert, but I've noticed that with a little higher foc out of my rig, it tends to "buck the wind" a little more, penetrate better and seems to be more "forgiving" in terms of tuning and shooting. These are just personal observations though...

I've been really fortunate in being able to shoot different arrows out of my bow, but it didn't come without added work. I would still have to adjust nock point and play around with either tip weight or arrow length. I could build out my string plate too, but because I shoot off of the shelf, I like to leave my strike plate alone. (this is where the plunger comes in handy as mentioned above)

At times, I could take two different brand arrows with the same spine, keep everything the same and it shot well, but that was rare for me.

Hope some of this insight helps...

OP
justinspicher
I just got back from the range. I tested out some theories and I am happy with the outcome. The GT's with 145gr tips and standard inserts fly like darts, and I can consistently hit out to 40yds. I am very happy with this, and I will stick with this from here on out.

I am shooting a NAP flipper rest, with 28" GT XT hunter arrows. They have four 4" vanes, standard insert and 145gr up front.

I just got back from the range. I tested out some theories and I am happy with the outcome. The GT's with 145gr tips and standard inserts fly like darts, and I can consistently hit out to 40yds. I am very happy with this, and I will stick with this from here on out.

I am shooting a NAP flipper rest, with 28" GT XT hunter arrows. They have four 4" vanes, standard insert and 145gr up front.

Awesome news!!!

Glad you found something that works for you!!!

The deer are in trouble!!!!

I had similar issues. But once I watched Ryan's videos on arrow tuning it helped out a lot. Also check out Stu's Calculator. It will get you in the ball park with spine and point weight. Ryan is one of the best guys I have meet and always willing to help.

Thank you for the kind words BlackWidowTackle!

btw... your check is in the mail. lol! ; )

OP
justinspicher
I will do some more shooting tomorrow, to confirm that it wasn't just a good day of shooting. Then I'll have to order some broadheads......