ASAT Camo still relevant?

I’m sure this is beat to death but looking to get some new Camo for next year and I still see people talking about ASAT. I saw firstlite dropped the pattern, did this stuff ever really work? It looks like a mess, wondering how it would work out here on the east coast in the leafy green early season.

Last edited:
I’m sure this is best to death but looking to get some new Camo for next year and I still see people talking about ASAT. I saw firstlite dropped the pattern, did this stuff ever really work? It looks like a mess, wondering how it would work out here on the east coast in the leafy green early season.

Your topic title sounds a little rediculous, but your message makes more sense.

First off, don't subscribe to camo as fasion.

My reccemendation, look at First Lite Fusion if you like First Lite gear. Great stuff.

As for ASAT, it's a killer pattern, probably the best out there for breaking up your sillouete. Even better with the ASAT leafy suit.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

OP
Shakeandbake
Your topic title sounds a little rediculous, but your message makes more sense.

First off, don't subscribe to camo as fasion.

My reccemendation, look at First Lite Fusion if you like First Lite gear. Great stuff.

As for ASAT, it's a killer pattern, probably the best out there for breaking up your sillouete. Even better with the ASAT leafy suit.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
I didn’t mean for the topic to sound ridiculous. I was trying to ask if the pattern is outdated. Trying to find out if it ever really worked from some people who had experience with it. From some of the pictures of guys wearing it, they look like they disappear.

ASAT will never be outdated and it likely does the best job at breaking up your outline compared to any other camo out there, although they all work fine. Just don't wear blue or yellow and limit movement and nothing else will matter, other than wind of course.

MattB

WKR
One of the best patterns. Camo can help on the margin, but as stated above it generally isn't needed.

I've used ASAT since I was a kid, and the pattern has worked for me.

I like the idea of not trying to look like a tree. Wolves and mountain lions seem to do fine without having to imitate surrounding foliage.

I didn’t mean for the topic to sound ridiculous. I was trying to ask if the pattern is outdated. Trying to find out if it ever really worked from some people who had experience with it. From some of the pictures of guys wearing it, they look like they disappear.

What other pattern has been out unchanged for 30 years? That should tell you something about the pattern and if it works.

It’s designed to break up your outline not catch your eye like the Realtree/Mossy Oak photo realistic patterns that all blob out at any distance.

That being said the company is small and has survived by licensing but companies have all for the most part gone to proprietary patterns to save money or gone to the two brands I mentioned because of the marketing dollars promoting those brands.

I am looking to add it to my kit since Cabelas is no longer making quality clothing since Bass Pro took over and I need to replace a bunch of stuff that is starting to wear out. I have an email in to ASAT asking about what they would recommend to do double duty for September archery elk and Whitetails on the east coast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rokwiia

WKR
Some newfangled camo looks fashionable to wear when not in the woods. ASAT is meant to work in the outdoors and it has been a success for decades. I'd put their leafy 3D against anything in out there for effectiveness.

People understand "military camo" patterns or even a high-tech digital camo pattern. Only a hunter or outdoorsman understands ASAT as others don't know what to make of it.

That shows me it confuses those uninitiated with the outdoors as much as it confuses wildlife. That's two for the price of one!

it's as effective as the day it was created. I don't put a whole lot of thought into camo patterns, they all work fine as long as you don't move or they smell you.... conversely, none work if you are moving or they smell you.

if the high end camo companies offered woodland, I would wear it, and pick it over most patterns they do offer. I think asat is one of the better patterns out there.

right now my favorite camo pattern is first lite cipher, but that's more than likely just my brain liking it.... like I said, they all seem to work, and i'm as mismatched in the woods as anyone. I like the ASAT knar pants, they are like the original sitka ascents.

I wear kuiu, first lite and sitka, and a couple things from asat, and I don't like paying retail, so if something I want goes on sale, regardless of what pattern it is, i'll buy it. I also buy solid colored pants, probably half the time, and every time if they are 10 bucks cheaper.

I don't put much stock in camo patterns, and I have never had a problem getting close to critters. I have never noticed one pattern being more or less effective at concealing me. I have my favorites, but it has little to do with relative effectiveness.

I used to love predator, especially spring green here on the coast. it probably matters some times, but I would think more with turkey, and maybe predators, but even then....

EJFS

Lil-Rokslider
I like ASAT a lot and wish more companies used it. Being still and using terrain and cover to your advantage will always be more important than a camo pattern though!

I’m sure this is beat to death but looking to get some new Camo for next year and I still see people talking about ASAT. I saw firstlite dropped the pattern, did this stuff ever really work? It looks like a mess, wondering how it would work out here on the east coast in the leafy green early season.
First Lite just didn't want to pay a licensing fee. Seems to me it sold just fine while they had it in their lineup.

rougarou

FNG
As others have mentioned, it's probably the best pattern out there for breaking up your silhouette. It's a shame First Lite dropped it. I have a couple pieces of FL gear in ASAT and love it for treestand hunting in the southeast