ASAT Camo still relevant?

Interesting post. I was looking at the ASAT camo for some new gear I want to purchase and thought to myself “how would that translate to a tree stand?” But nothing better than some real life experiences. Thanks for sharing definitely going to strongly consider it now

The best proof, even though I'd used it for what seems like forever, was when I was first stationed in Wyoming and hunting on the ground for elk. I wasn't hiding behind a thing, and had an elk walk straight to me to 15 yards.

I'm not saying that the ASAT made me invisible, but I was able to nock an arrow, draw my bow, and shoot without any sort of cover.

Before Wyoming, I hunted tree stands regularly for whitetail and also never had any noticeable issues.

swampokie

WKR
If it aint ASAT it aint camo...PERIOD ASAT has a cult following and first lite lost a lot of business when they pulled it.

Last edited:

swampokie

WKR
Just an opinion and im one I guess. If ur asking how much buisiness I for one will never buy a piece of fusion or cipher and solids wow give me a break? Give me a break if that's the best they can do. In my opinion none of the big three have a pattern worth a piss. Woodland green and brown in one of the big three would blow the top off the industry. KOOL KID KAMO would never be the same. I think that most of the best camo patterns were spawned long before the kool kamo era took off. I honestly think skre may have the best patterns available in high end Chinese made hunting gear. If it was good enuff for Fred Bear who r u to question its effectiveness?

Reactions: BCD

ridgefire

WKR
I wish Sitka still made their camo in ASAT. I still have the 90% jacket and pants and the mountain shirt, hat and vest in ASAT. I wish i would have bought more at the time. The stuff is still going strong after 15 years 12 years or whatever it's been.

Love the pattern. Seriously bummed when FL dropped the pattern. I have a full set. Very impressed with the pattern. Echo what others have said. Animals seem to look right through it and they certainly don't seem spooked,

LandYacht

WKR
Just an opinion and im one I guess. If ur asking how much buisiness I for one will never buy a piece of fusion or cipher and solids wow give me a break? Give me a break if that's the best they can do. In my opinion none of the big three have a pattern worth a piss. Woodland green and brown in one of the big three would blow the top off the industry. KOOL KID KAMO would never be the same. I think that most of the best camo patterns were spawned long before the kool kamo era took off. I honestly think skre may have the best patterns available in high end Chinese made hunting gear. If it was good enuff for Fred Bear who r u to question its effectiveness?

Gotcha, thought maybe you had some inside scoop. I was equally as disappointed when they dropped the pattern. However, ASAT itself has really stepped up their own clothing line.

Would have loved to keep buying FL, but I’ve moved on too. Sad really, a little nostalgic when I look at some of my FL clothes that were from that first year of the company. I know I’ll get flamed by the “I don’t wear anything that my grandpa didn’t knit because he said animals can’t see plaid” crowd, but there’s something special about being a fanboy from the start.

Though, I guess being an ASAT cultist was stronger than FL fan boy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always thought it was ugly and silly looking (What do I know?), but, this year I hunted with a fellow who used it and we were 15 yards apart on an open dry grassy hillside punctuated with fallen limbs and a few small sparse patches of brush. He was behind me calling on a bull, I looked back to see where he was and until he moved I could not focus on him.

I am convinced now, it plays serious tricks on your eyes... I am assuming on animals too.

FLAK

WKR
My most successful years of deer hunting was while wearing woodland camo, plaid and hunting from the ground.

Love these threads....get it? Wanna know the best camo to wear? Go to bass pro during an weekend event and check out the camo catwalk! Lol, grown men strutting around in there kuiu or asat or whatever their proud of! Even the "I got my camo at Walmart guys will be there strutting! Just to make a point that you don't need a 1000 bucks worth of sitka to make it! Wanna know my fashion? It's Kryptek but not because it works better on animals because anything works if you stay still. It's because if I need it to Kryptek will work on you! You as in Humans.

samhelmer

FNG
I wear solids now, but if I were to go back to camo, I would use ASAT. That stuff is about the only camo pattern I believe does much.

I think ASAT is one of the best patterns of all time, the other being predator camo gray or brown and both will continue to be. I've kind of moved back to non camo patterns, plaids, solids etc just for traditional nostalgic reasons but if buying a camo pattern, ASAT would be the first.

pk_

WKR
Me three

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Me 4

I don’t really care about camo until I am run and gun for turkeys. The 3D leafy is magic, it’s almost cheating. Just this Saturday I got caught with my gun on the ground, no front cover, 3 gobblers and a hen slipped in to 20 yards, nothing between us. I was able to slowly pick the gun up and shoot one and all they did was turn their heads a little sideways while I was lifting the gun and positioning to shoot. If you don’t think that’s magic you don’t hunt public land turkeys (especially in the south) and we are halfway thru our season these birds are well educated.
0AE8864F-3800-4555-9CDF-04C33DD7C48A.jpeg
This is where I was sitting not a twig of cover in front of me.
433B3F9F-58BB-4ADD-9B84-7DA1FF0F1342.jpeg
It also works great for run and gun whitetail bow hunting in case you get stuck in a naked tree. I don’t think it is nearly as important for whitetails but if you have multiple deer close and one catches you move many times if you were moving slowly then freeze they will relax and go back to what they were doing.

If I ever make it out west to bow hunt elk you can bet I will be wearing the 3D leafy jacket and staying behind cover for a shot will not be on my mind.

I am not a fan boy for any clothing lines or camo but I simply BELIEVE in ASAT for those situations where good camo makes a difference.