Automated Annealing Machine

mcr-85

WKR
I decided to take on a project and try to build an automated induction annealer. I have a torch set up annealer similar to a Benchsource that I built but it wasn't great. It worked ok and I've annealed quite of brass with it but it was a pain to set up. Lately I have been using a salt bath setup but I don't like that much. A small pot of scorching hot salt makes me nervous with my kids around. My kids love to hang out with me when I'm reloading and I don't feel like the hot salt is safe with them around.

I am probably 3/4 the way through with getting this thing assembled. I am hoping it works. The videos I have seen of these style annealers look pretty slick. There are a few threads of these on accurateshooter and on snipershide I believe.

I bought the Arduino based board from mgnz-makes and the 3d printed parts from him as well. I've been buying parts for this for a little over a year and have sourced some from Amazon, Ebay and AliExpress. I finally found a solenoid for the case drop that I think will work ok. I am housing this in a computer case that has a glass side panel. It will look pretty cool to see the guts of the machine.

I will update this as I get this thing finished up over the next little while. I have a bit more wiring to finish up, mount the cooling reservoir and pump and plumb in the cooling lines. I also need to take the front cover back off to trim the long ends off and give it some paint.

86f9d2ec5f4dac920d85631ef4da0f7a.jpg
0b975d9858668cab835a033eddc74fae.jpg

Last edited:

jbaker

FNG
Some reason the pictures aren't loading for me but I'm definitely interested in this.

Are you using the Annie induction? I know a lot of the other people have used that as their base

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

OP
mcr-85

mcr-85

WKR
Some reason the pictures aren't loading for me but I'm definitely interested in this.

Are you using the Annie induction? I know a lot of the other people have used that as their base

Pics should be fixed now. I am not using the Annie. Mine is a zvs 1000kw driver powered by a 48v power supply. There is a 12v power supply to power all the other stuff.

jbaker

FNG
Pics loading good now.

That's looks great and is much less $$ than the Annie.

I'm tired of my flame annealer as well so may pick your Brain when you get this all finished

Juno07

FNG
I remember reading about this on accurateshooter but they used a relay/timer based system. I've slowly gathering the parts for an annealing machine and recently picked up an arduino opta for my build. I'll be following as well.

OP
mcr-85

mcr-85

WKR
I've been busy with summer sports and haven't been working on this much. I just dropped off the front face plate to get powder coated. I'm going to have it laser engraved. I tried rattle can with vinyl stencils and it didn't look worth a damn.

Here's a pic of my wiring diagram as well.
3cd0820d54dbb5deef4b0c5c193871c9.jpg
2e7649ba8744d6b6512c1ef0c95746a0.jpg

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Muppence

FNG
I have built one of these units too. I haven't quite finished the case feeder but will get to it at some stage, for now I just manually place the cases on the tray and the auto case dropper drops them when they're done. I used a servo for the case drop.

Attachments

• 16892394347665776714428088016739.jpg
    16892394347665776714428088016739.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 38
OP
mcr-85

mcr-85

WKR
I have built one of these units too. I haven't quite finished the case feeder but will get to it at some stage, for now I just manually place the cases on the tray and the auto case dropper drops them when they're done. I used a servo for the case drop.
That's awesome. Your drop shelf looks like the same 3D printed one I have. Did you base yours from the MGNZ-Makes design with his board as well?

OP
mcr-85

mcr-85

WKR
Here is a parts and price list roughly showing what I am in to this. I am hoping it works as well as an AMP. For 1350ish less dollars I think it will be just fine. I like the case feeder design of this better than the AMP Mate.

I know my list is missing a couple miscellaneous things. I'm sure I've purchased a few other parts or supplies to get this thing put together that I haven't accounted for yet. I am making a guess on the laser engraving too. I should be getting the front cover back from powder coating soon and then it will go get engraved. I'm just not sure what he's going to charge me for engraving it.​

Parts List.jpg

AMP with Case Feeder.jpg

Muppence

FNG
That's awesome. Your drop shelf looks like the same 3D printed one I have. Did you base yours from the MGNZ-Makes design with his board as well?

Yes I bought his board and then sourced the rest of the parts myself. I have a 3d printer so I modified his parts to suit my enclosure. It's an old UPS from a server so it's fairly compact. I think all in I was around 600 $AUD

OP
mcr-85

mcr-85

WKR
This project is taking a while to get finished. I have everything wired up but I think I messed the OLED display up when I soldered it. I have another one on the way and a better solder iron setup.

Once I replace that I need to troubleshoot and get this this going.

Electrical things arent my strong suit but I think I am close.
31fadd12241aa2402836b513116472fa.jpg

OP
mcr-85

mcr-85

WKR
I had to get a couple new parts that were faulty but I have annealed some brass finally. It is over heating with my 22-250 brass though. I need to figure out how to keep the board cool.
8f3afa4a3cc736db9467ea9f5a0b93c7.jpg
58adc8ad4c0b48d84e94376a28ec518e.jpg

Traynut

FNG
I had to get a couple new parts that were faulty but I have annealed some brass finally. It is over heating with my 22-250 brass though. I need to figure out how to keep the board cool.
8f3afa4a3cc736db9467ea9f5a0b93c7.jpg
58adc8ad4c0b48d84e94376a28ec518e.jpg

The front panel is amazing, would you be willing to share where you had it cut out and laser engraved.
thanks.

OP
mcr-85

mcr-85

WKR
The front panel is amazing, would you be willing to share where you had it cut out and laser engraved.
thanks.

It is a piece of weldable steel from Ace Hardware.

I cut it out at my basement workbench with a lot of dremel cut off wheels, a drill press and a dremel sanding drums. I had a lot of sharpie lines made with a straight edge and caliper for my layout prior to cutting it out. I had the front cover powder coated and then a buddy that has a laser engraving business engrave it. I think I was $60 for powder coating and $20 for the engraving. Definitely could have just spray painted and saved money but I wanted it to look how I wanted.

I have the file and could change the logos out pretty easy for anyone wanting one engraved. Some might not like my little play on AMPs logo but at heart I'm a smart ass. :)

I could also probably give the file to another buddy with a CNC mill and get everything cut out a lot easier than the dremel and drill method. I am not sure what he'd charge me to do that though.

1705433377751.png

OP
mcr-85

mcr-85

WKR
Super cool. I hope you get it working
Oh it works. Just not as fast as I'd like it to. After wrestling season ends I'll have some more time to put to getting it working better.