Average age of Rokslide folks

Interested in average age of rokslider….What is your age category?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Bunch of young'uns out there. At least now I know the age groups of members when I get a tongue lashing and "corrective counseling" on my way of thinking and doing things.
Age does not make a man. My word has effected the movement of millions of dollars worth of US DOD assets, and that was before I was 24. I have worked with 60 year old children and 18 year old men. I find it is the children who have to fall back on their age. This is as true at 5 as it is at 80.

Age does not make a man. My word has effected the movement of millions of dollars worth of US DOD assets, and that was before I was 24. I have worked with 60 year old children and 18 year old men. I find it is the children who have to fall back on their age. This is as true at 5 as it is at 80.

The intent of my post is when young'uns pretend they can give advice to someone that was already doing, or already has done, with what Jr. is advising them on.

Being at the right place and right time with the right opportunity hardly qualifies someone under their 30's on a lot of things. As far as children in their 60's, welcome to the oil and gas industry...

IdahoBeav

WKR
The intent of my post is when young'uns pretend they can give advice to someone that was already doing, or already has done, with what Jr. is advising them on.
See Appeal to Accomplishment and Appeal to Tradition logical fallacies.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
And my point is experience, not age speaks. Sometimes the two go together. And frequently they do of talking about something someone has done for a long time.

Experience can be discussed, analyzed, and use to improve everyone's knowledge. People with a depth of experience who can fall back on it to discuss somes, especially if they can also support it with outside evidence, rarely, if ever, dismiss others simply based on age.

In general though, wisdom listens more than it speaks, and by that measure I still have far to go.

Being at the right place and right time with the right opportunity hardly qualifies someone under their 30's on a lot of things.
Not sure I get the point of this. Same goes for all ages. The luck vs hard work components of success applies to everyone; and some apparently successful people have only worked hard at BSing everyone around them. This too is true across the age spectrum.

To understand why it is a logical fallacy to discredit one's argument due to a lesser age or lack of experience of the person presenting the argument and why it is also a fallacy to discredit an argument because it challenges a position or idea that has long been believed true.

So, a 25 year old can offer advice to a 55 year on marriage and raising kids?

Not talking about a young academic in industry, aka "engineer" giving direction to a seasoned operator on hiw to do something. Oh wait, the seasoned operator likely trained the engineer...

And my point is experience, not age speaks. Sometimes the two go together. And frequently they do of talking about something someone has done for a long time.

Experience can be discussed, analyzed, and use to improve everyone's knowledge. People with a depth of experience who can fall back on it to discuss somes, especially if they can also support it with outside evidence, rarely, if ever, dismiss others simply based on age.

In general though, wisdom listens more than it speaks, and by that measure I still have far to go.

Not sure I get the point of this. Same goes for all ages. The luck vs hard work components of success applies to everyone; and some apparently successful people have only worked hard at BSing everyone around them. This too is true across the age spectrum.

A real world example. I work with a very young engineer that often offers advice and direction on matters he clearly has no experience with. He is sharp and remembers things very well, but it's obvious he does not have the necessary credentials to offer direction in some things. He doesn't let that stop him though.

Here, a young'un shouldn't be giving directives based on what he remembers is some class somewhere. He isn't professionally mature enough yet and hasn't experienced any failures to earn a few battle scars.

This also occurs in many facets of life, and since this is a hunting site, someone could've had very limited but successful experience in calling in a bull in Sept and then tries to gove instruction and correction to someone with 30 years of hunting experience, in multiple states, in multiple scenarios all the while balancing a full time job and raising a family. His oldest son, by the way, is the same age as the advice giver.

The biggest error anyone can make is to say "what you need to do is ______"...

IdahoBeav

WKR

Not talking about a young academic in industry, aka "engineer" giving direction to a seasoned operator on hiw to do something. Oh wait, the seasoned operator likely trained the engineer...
You might also check out
Straw Man fallacy.

Nonetheless, every argument, position, word of advice, etc. should be evaluated by the idea that is being presented. This is usually what one will automatically address when presenting a counter argument. It is when one does not have a sound, factual argument that he begins to go the route of fallacy in attempt to discredit another's idea.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
A real world example. I work with a very young engineer that often offers advice and direction on matters he clearly has no experience with. He is sharp and remembers things very well, but it's obvious he does not have the necessary credentials to offer direction in some things. He doesn't let that stop him though.

Here, a young'un shouldn't be giving directives based on what he remembers is some class somewhere. He isn't professionally mature enough yet and hasn't experienced any failures to earn a few battle scars.

This also occurs in many facets of life, and since this is a hunting site, someone could've had very limited but successful experience in calling in a bull in Sept and then tries to gove instruction and correction to someone with 30 years of hunting experience, in multiple states, in multiple scenarios all the while balancing a full time job and raising a family. His oldest son, by the way, is the same age as the advice giver.

The biggest error anyone can make is to say "what you need to do is ______"...
It is not the age. You know how many ignorant old guys say "what you need to do is ______." Many older people have unlearned that type of behavior, but certainly many have not.

I agree, other than the fact that age alone is a very poor metric for assessing someone.

Would you listen to a 20 year old who has been western hunting for 10 years or a 60 year old who has 50 years in the white tail woods, but has never packed a camp in his life when it comes to mountains hunting out west?

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved

Depends, has the 55 year old been divorced 3 time and has 4 kids that he has never helped rase? What if the 55 year old has never been married? What if he has been married for 35 years, but like my father in law his wife and all 5 kids whish he would die?

What if the 25 year old is basing his advice on what he learned from great grandpa who was happily married for 75 years?

Depends, has the 55 year old been divorced 3 time and has 4 kids that he has never helped rase? What if the 55 year old has never been married? What if he has been married for 35 years, but like my father in law his wife and all 5 kids whish he would die?

The 25-year-old still can't because the 25-year-old hasn't tied the shoe the 55-year-old wears little lone walked a mile in them.

What if the 25 year old is basing his advice on what he learned from great grandpa who was happily married for 75 years?

Then it's not his experience to give...

It is not the age. You know how many ignorant old guys say "what you need to do is ______." Many older people have unlearned that type of behavior, but certainly many have not.

I agree, other than the fact that age alone is a very poor metric for assessing someone.

Would you listen to a 20 year old who has been western hunting for 10 years or a 60 year old who has 50 years in the white tail woods, but has never packed a camp in his life when it comes to mountains hunting out west?

Agree, it's more often than not the old, and I'm going to say arrogant, guys say "what you need to do is _____" because they only know what's worked for them.

Agree, age alone is not a metric for qualification of offering advice. But it certainly is an important one. I too made decisions on multi-million-dollar projects at a very young age. However, I was only able to do that after steep learning curves and exposure to many scenarios related to those projects and decisions.

Experience is the best teacher.

20-year-olds with 10 years of experience really only have 5 at the most as the first 5 they were a relatively young boy and tagged along with a mentor. In some states, the 20-year-old has only had a tag in his pocket for 5 years and up until 2 years ago, the 20-year-old legally could not even hunt alone with a rifle.

I'd take the woods-wise sense of a 60-year-old whose been hunting on his own the past 40 years rather than a 20-year-old that's been calling his own shots for the last 2.

But that's just me. Then again, the 60 year isn't that much older than me so...

(Edit: one of my kids is 20 and has been hunting for 10 years out west.)

Last edited:

The 60 yo with 50 years worth of woodsmanship hands down. Only a fool would listen to the advice of someone with 1/5 the experience in the woods. Woodsmanship is acquired over decades there really isn’t much to packing a camp. People just make it out to be.

just remember fellas with age comes wisdom, but more importantly An OLD GUY KNOWS HE CAN'T WHIP YA IN A FIGHT HE WILL JUST KILL YOU.😉