Do you hunt or plan on hunting out of state?

Do you hunt out of state or are you planning to hunt out of state?

• Yes

Votes: 163 88.1%
  • No

Votes: 22 11.9%

• Total voters

CorbLand

WKR
Not so sure about that.

This year Im going to hunt deer and elk in Colorado. Im also going to hunt deer (3 tags) and antelope and turkey in Wyo.

And Im waiting to see if I’ll hunt elk in Wyo.
Once again, it’s Rokslide and most people here are not average hunters.

jimh406

WKR
Valid point, but why do you care about limiting others?
Everything is limited in life. There is a finite amount of resources in each state.

Why do you think it makes sense for the people that live in the state to be potentially forced to go to a different state so that you can hunt their state?

Fwiw, there are lots of people in each state that don’t get to draw hunt because NRs took the spot. That’s reality. Why shouldn’t NRs pay more and be somewhat limited? Seems fair.

In the case of some of the states, the population is somewhat tiny compare to many states. Some of those states have protected their game populations over decades. You get benefits of what ever state you choose to live in.

Everything is a tradeoff … if you tradeoff hunting, so be it.

CorbLand

WKR
Maybe the disconnect is I'm not seeing how many residents really want to hunt that can't get a tag. It's possible that's a truth I don't fully understand. I am open-minded, I hope we all can be. That is the only way we will get anything done.
Your not looking very hard then.

Utah had about 105,000 general deer applicants last year and issued about 65,000 tags. Think there are plenty of residents that want to hunt but don’t get tags to do so.

I am not anti non resident, I want them coming here. I am a non resident in other places but the idea that someone is morally superior for advocating to take away tags from residents to give to nonresidents versus taking tags away from nonresident to give to residents is about all these arguments really turn out to be.

Your willing to give up 6000 tags because you would gain access to 40000 more between all the states. Tell me why I am the selfish one for wanting to keep those 6000 and give up the 40000?

Last edited:

jhm2023

WKR
I live in Alaska and most of my "in state hunts" require more distance travelled and in depth logistics than most of you lesser 48 types' "out of state hunts". What pisses in my cheerios just a little, is when there are sheep, moose, and bison right near my house and out of state folks are drawing some of those draw tags. This reduces my opportunity to hunt locally and requires me to travel distances equivalent to what would be an out of state hunt to others. It is what it is and I don't go online and complain about it, but you keep opening the door for that conversation. I do feel like states residents have priority to the state's resources including game, especially when I freeze my balls off in the winter and pay the high cost of living to have resident hunting rights. When I'm ready for other adventures and game species, instead of making irrational demands like a democrat, Ill just become a resident of the state that affords the opportunities I desire.

OP
Schoolhousegrizz
Your not looking very hard then.

Utah had about 105,000 general deer applicants last year and issued about 65,000 tags. Think there are plenty of residents that want to hunt but don’t get tags to do so.

I am not anti non resident, I want them coming here. I am a non resident in other places but the idea that someone is morally superior for advocating to take away tags from residents to give to nonresidents versus taking tags away from nonresident to give to residents is about all these arguments really turn out to be.

Your willing to give up 6000 tags because you would gain access to 40000 more between all the states. Tell me why I am the selfish one for wanting to keep those 6000 and give up the 40000?
Well you just kind of proved my point. I'm not saying your selfish to give up 6,000 for 40,000 I'm saying you're not very smart if you're not willing to do that.

CorbLand

WKR
Well you just kind of proved my point. I'm not saying your selfish to give up 6,000 for 40,000 I'm saying you're not very smart if you're not willing to do that.
Or maybe I am thinking of the family that I use to hunt with that can’t afford to hunt out of state and all they have is Utah. Seems pretty shitty for me to take tags from them so I can go hunt another state…odd concept.

Personally, I don’t want to hunt out of state. I apply because I have to if I want to hunt.

I am a pretty blunt person so I will call this for how I see it. You said it would increase opportunity for all but it seems like you want to increase your opportunity and disguise it as your thinking of others. Not buying it.

Last edited:

Ucsdryder

WKR
Utah, yeah my state is tight with NR. I'd be fine to go 80/20
I hate to break it to you, but the NR on here are complaining about Colorado going 75/25, do 80/20 isn’t getting it done. Would you be ok with 70/30? Would you be ok with hunting every 3rd year so a NR can have your tag?

OP
Schoolhousegrizz
Or maybe I am thinking of the family that I use to hunt with that can’t afford to hunt out of state and all they have is Utah. Seems pretty shitty for me to take tags from them so I can go hunt another state…odd concept.

Personally, I don’t want to hunt out of state. I apply because I have to if I want to hunt.
It comes down to priorities, you can hunt out of state on a very modest budget if you really want to. I did it for years on my income with 5 kids and a wife that stayed home. I just worked 3 jobs. That's BS, if you WANT to hunt out of state you can.

OP
Schoolhousegrizz
I hate to break it to you, but the NR on here are complaining about Colorado going 75/25, do 80/20 isn’t getting it done. Would you be ok with 70/30? Would you be ok with hunting every 3rd year so a NR can have your tag?
Yes, if everyone would go 70/30

CorbLand

WKR
It comes down to priorities, you can hunt out of state on a very modest budget if you really want to. I did it for years on my income with 5 kids and a wife that stayed home. I just worked 3 jobs. That's BS, if you WANT to hunt out of state you can.
I will make sure to tell them that.

Wyo_hntr

WKR
Yep. If I draw. If I don't, that's cool too. I won't be bawling about it...

KurtR

WKR
Not big game any more juice isn’t worth the squeeze. I will maybe chase birds and abide by what ever states rules. We limit waterfowl hunters here and I am glad my grandpa got that done back in the day.

sndmn11

WKR
I actually would if other states would stop trying to cut NR's.
"If"
Which would be reciprocation...

There's no moral and noble high ground when one attaches stipulations to their actions turning it into quid pro quo. With your commitment to providing better opportunities for everyone, why aren't you rallying on the steps of Utah's capital fighting for NR license allocation increases and leading the way?
"If"?...

OP
Schoolhousegrizz
"If"
Which would be reciprocation...

There's no moral and noble high ground when one attaches stipulations to their actions turning it into quid pro quo. With your commitment to providing better opportunities for everyone, why aren't you rallying on the steps of Utah's capital fighting for NR license allocation increases and leading the way?
"If"?...
There's always going to be an if, it's called negotiating. I'm not going to say here take all these licenses and we don't want anything in return from other states. Good heck, that's what Biden did in Ukraine. Trump would have a said, we will help you IF you repay us when it's over. Maybe you guys have a liberal mind set? and I'm not claiming to take the moral High ground. I am trying to figure out a way to increase NR licenses in all states. I have sent emails, I have had people sign petitions. I am gathering info from this poll right now that I will use. Seems like everyone wants to hunt out of state according to this poll, but yet we bitch and moan to cut NR licenses.

You can always draw something in NM

Not necessarily...

And to think you have it better than Utah.

I have points out of state but the only reason is because I have family in different states and I want to hunt with them. If it weren’t for that and I could get a tag every year in my home unit, I would be content.

I can buy an OTC archery elk tag in UT every year. I have way better "odds" pulling a general deer tag in UT with zero pts than anything in NM.

If I don't draw an antlerless elk tag in NM for 5 years straight, in that amount of time, I can draw an antlerless elk tag in UT at least once, maybe twice, with preference points.

Do I think I have it better in UT? In some ways, yes.