Average shot distance and state ?

My California deer have mostly been between 250-375 yards. Hunting black tails it really helps to be able to shoot 400 yards because you often do not have much time to make a stalk before they head into thick cover at first light. Being able to shoot comfortably 200-400 yards will probably help you kill more game. I personally have never needed to shoot past 400 or missed an opportunity by limiting myself to 400 yards with my 30-06. If you are still hunting some of the more heavily forested zones in CA then you don’t need to shoot far.

elkguide

WKR
Idaho. Montana. Wyoming.

Shots have been from 10 yards to 580 yards.
I've used mostly .300 Win Mags. An occasional deer shot with a 7mm08 or a .300 RUM.

OP
L
Thanks all for the great points of reference. While I agree that bow hunters have success, since I'm starting out I'm going to err on the side of capitalizing on the opportunities that present themselves and get a rifle and train to be rock solid up to 400 yds.

Agree that while plenty of guys hunt elk with 6.5 cm, I'm thinking I'd get a .300 win mag for elk and whatever else I'd want a larger caliber for. The Kimber Mountain Ascent in .300 win mag felt great when mounting it to my shoulder in the shop.

Cheers,

Steve

I hunt SoCal A-Zone and D-Zones, you should be able to make shots to 400yds. My shots over the last few seasons were from 125yds-450yds.

OP
L
Pulled the trigger on a Kimber Mountain Ascent in 6.5 cm (Montana was a 2-3 month wait and love the feel of soft touch MA stock). Now I just need to practice until rock solid and get to know well some NorCal areas and find some WY areas for Pronghorn.

Cheers and thanks!