Axis Deer- Texas

jeffpg

WKR
I have hunted these critters a lot all over the hill country and the western part of the state of Texas over the past few years. I became pretty obsessed with them, to the extent of practicality living amongst them for several weeks at a time during the spring and summer on some large leases I had. It was the only way I had to learn about them and their habits, as there’s not much information out there on them.
I have to agree with pretty much everything Patton says except that I normally hear mature bucks roar in a sequence of 3 roars. Anything outside of that is most often a juvenile buck.
I take several of these animals every year and I keep a couple freezers full of various choice cuts at all times. I like axis meat so much that I give all of my whitetail meat away. There’s no comparison IMO.
IMG_1871.jpg
IMG_1870.jpg
IMG_1869.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why can't the axis rut be in January?! 😁That would just be too ideal for someone coming from the northern part of the US...

Patton

Lil-Rokslider
jeffpg those are some big boys! I agree that the axis meat is so much better than whitetail. I try to get an axis buck or two every summer to hold me off until fall.

I keep looking at this picture.
Thanks, definitely one of my better photos.

11DF41AB-B43F-4C03-947D-A4336F31142D.jpeg

OP
JordanAdams

JordanAdams

Lil-Rokslider
Guys, this is the "whitetail" thread - jk

JordanAdams, where are you coming from? How'd you come across Blackwater Guides? Bc of you, I've looked them up and now my interest is piqued.
I thought the same thing lol! I had this thread in the general section and it was moved to this hahaha! But anywho, I'm originally from Springfield Missouri but i currently live in Rushville Nebraska. Been in Nebraska about two years now. I followed Blackwater guide service on instagram awhile back and just through posts, comments, messages back and fourth i've kinda become "friends" with them. They seem like great guys just based on the conversations i've had with them over the course of a few years. When i went to a friends house a few weeks ago and got to try axis for the first time I knew I had to find a way to put some in my own freezer and i instantly thought of blackwater guide service. I booked it without any hesitation and now theres two other people going with me on this trip next June. We're all super excited.

OP
JordanAdams

JordanAdams

Lil-Rokslider
jeffpg those are some big boys! I agree that the axis meat is so much better than whitetail. I try to get an axis buck or two every summer to hold me off until fall.

Thanks, definitely one of my better photos.

View attachment 190601
This is the picture i've been sending my family when they ask "Whats an axis deer?" Phenomenal picture!

OP
JordanAdams

JordanAdams

Lil-Rokslider
Shoot a buck and consider shooting a doe as well. You won't mind the extra meat and get the doe's hide tanned. They are very pretty.

Here's a photo of one of my axis bucks. 35" main beams.
View attachment 190333
Definitely thinking about adding a doe to my total as well as a buck. They charge $400 for a doe. I'll happily pay that for more axis in my freezer. Beautiful mount by the way! Makes me reconsider my euro mount idea if i do kill a buck!

OP
JordanAdams

JordanAdams

Lil-Rokslider
I have hunted these critters a lot all over the hill country and the western part of the state of Texas over the past few years. I became pretty obsessed with them, to the extent of practicality living amongst them for several weeks at a time during the spring and summer on some large leases I had. It was the only way I had to learn about them and their habits, as there’s not much information out there on them.
I have to agree with pretty much everything Patton says except that I normally hear mature bucks roar in a sequence of 3 roars. Anything outside of that is most often a juvenile buck.
I take several of these animals every year and I keep a couple freezers full of various choice cuts at all times. I like axis meat so much that I give all of my whitetail meat away. There’s no comparison IMO.
View attachment 190476
View attachment 190477
View attachment 190478

I'm so ready to go see these animals in person! I'm in awe of them already. I may be starting an obsession i never meant too. Hahaha!

Lastnline75

Lil-Rokslider
Where in South Texas is this guide service located? I checked their Insta but didnt see a website for them.
I'm so ready to go see these animals in person! I'm in awe of them already. I may be starting an obsession i never meant too. Hahaha!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
JordanAdams

JordanAdams

Lil-Rokslider
Where in South Texas is this guide service located? I checked their Insta but didnt see a website for them.

Rocksprings Texas

Lastnline75

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks. Only about 5 hours from me. Definitely going to check them out.
Rocksprings Texas

phorizt

FNG
That’s definitely a great area for Axis. I went on hunts with my kids last year in Junction and along the Devils River(Rocksprings is pretty much in between the two) and we saw tons of Axis deer. In fact that drive bw Junction and Rocksprings has to have the highest rate of roadkill deer/axis/exotics of anywhere in North America. Not even kidding we counted over 60 bw Junction and Del Rio so be careful driving. The density of wildlife in that area is crazy with lots of exotics roaming around.

Trader56

FNG
Axis are by far one of my favorite animals to hunt. They are herd animals and grazers (not browsers) and can often be found laying in oak or mesquite flats which leads to great spot and stalk opportunities. They prefer to be able to see from a good distance as opposed to being in thick, over-brushed areas with limited views. In the rut, which is typically early June, it's not uncommon to hear 'roars' and see bucks cruising for does in the middle of 95* heat. The bulls, or bucks, do four sequential roars/bellows which can often give their position away if you aren't actively seeing or glassing them. The bucks and does both have a high pitch alarm 'bark'. Axis will also hit water daily, setting up over water holes can be productive. They have much larger stomachs than a whitetail which keeps their vitals more forward in the chest cavity- 'behind the shoulder' can quickly get you into stomach; on the shoulder is a much better point of aim. There is an 'ezy-axis' call that mimics a roar, I've heard some people claiming to use it with great success- I haven't tried it enough to say. If a buck has his head down feeding, and his horn tips are even with the top of his back/shoulders- he's around 30". Feel free to reach out with questions, I've been hunting free-ranging axis in the hill country since 2006. North Texas Tannery in Denton, TX is a popular place to drop off or send hides down to be tanned. $45 for an axis if I recall correctly. .308 is what I've killed the majority of my axis with.

A few pics I have on my phone.
View attachment 190123View attachment 190124View attachment 190125View attachment 190129
Thanks for the information on Axis deer what a beautiful animal.Is 30 inches considered the trophy mark?

Patton

Lil-Rokslider
Rocksprings Texas
All the axis I’ve shot have come from just SE of Rocksprings. As did the elk in my profile picture :)

Thanks for the information on Axis deer what a beautiful animal.Is 30 inches considered the trophy mark?
As a general rule of thumb, yes 30 is the mark for main beam length. I’ll gladly take a 28” though with monster caudals and brows.