AZ Black Bear ammo suggestions

AZsniper

WKR
Need some input. I have never hunted black bear but have decided to start this year. It has now been 6 years since I drew an elk tag and black bears are over the counter in AZ. I can hunt them all fall. I will be stalking and calling them with my Preditor call. I just purchased the new Ruger Ranch Gen2 6.5 creed that is only 5lbs 9oz and I will put my Dead Air Nomad Ti can on it. Because I will be calling a lot I may also call in a mt lion or coyote. So I am looking for a round that would work for everything, I understand they are different sized animals. I was thinking 143gr eldx . If I call in a mt. lion I will want to mount it if I have enough hide left. Just wondering what some suggestions might be here. I would guess all my shots will be inside 2-300 yards.

ianpadron

WKR
143s can make a mess but they certainly kill with authority. If you're not set on that, try the 147s, my buddy and I switched to them from the 143s and have had less collateral damage with them, while still offering excellent upset and expansion.

With 2-300 yards being your range and wanting to keep the hide as intact as possible, you could also look at the 130 grain Sierra TGK or Federal Terminal Ascents. More stout than the Hornadys mentioned above. I shot a bear at 287 yards a few years back with a 143 ELDX and it made a mess out of the off-side hide, would have been a PITA for a taxi to sew that thing up.

OP
AZsniper

AZsniper

WKR
143s can make a mess but they certainly kill with authority. If you're not set on that, try the 147s, my buddy and I switched to them from the 143s and have had less collateral damage with them, while still offering excellent upset and expansion.

With 2-300 yards being your range and wanting to keep the hide as intact as possible, you could also look at the 130 grain Sierra TGK or Federal Terminal Ascents. More stout than the Hornadys mentioned above. I shot a bear at 287 yards a few years back with a 143 ELDX and it made a mess out of the off-side hide, would have been a PITA for a taxi to sew that thing up.
I have never used the 147s but read that many are using them. I have been eying the Terminal Ascents as well. Good input and thank you.