BA Q-Core SL versus Exped UL7...

theedz

WKR
Slim, 1.7oz does seem like a lot of tolerance in their Quality control area. I am just thinking out loud here, do you suppose that there is extra insulation by chance in it? explaining the added weight? Maybe yours will end up having a higher R-value. It will be interested to find out if others are seeing the same results with the pad.

On a personal side note, are thermarests usually pretty acturate on their weights and ratings? Looking at the All Season pad, with an R-value of 4.9 and coming in at 19oz seems almost like a better pad if the specs are true. One down fall though is isn't as thick as the Q-cores and might not be as comfortable for side sleepers.

All of the Thermarests that I have had weighed within a tolerable range .5oz one way or the other. The issue I have with them is the empty potato chip bag noise every time I move on them. It does not bother some people though.

2.5" thick is not bad at all for a side sleeper, very comfortable. I used one (still do) for many years....3.5" thick is nicer though.

After some additional thought, I have never had a pad that came in excessively over weight.

Last edited:

luke moffat

Super Moderator
All 4 of my Big Agnes pads have come on heavy but atleast 1 oz some and one was 1.8 oz.

All Neo Airs has been within .5 oz of advertised.

I guess for only 5oz savings ill just stick with my original Q core. Dang I was hoping to cut 10 oz off the q core is a comfy pad at least.

sk1

WKR
well my q core SL is on the way, couldnt resist....will let you know if mine has similar specs to yours when it gets here (might be awhile)

It's been a few months since I've slept in a sleeping bag, but why not go with the mummy cut pad? Imagine it'll be close to advertised weight or at least a few oz lighter than the standard SL.

Mike

OP
slim9300

slim9300

WKR
It's been a few months since I've slept in a sleeping bag, but why not go with the mummy cut pad? Imagine it'll be close to advertised weight or at least a few oz lighter than the standard SL.

Mike

Look at my pad and imagine what the mummy cut would look like. It would be way too narrow for me in the footbox area. I did think about it though.

sk1

WKR
Slim - i got my Q Core SL in the mail today, and your review is dead on. I had the stuff sack/patch kit at 9/10ths of an oz, and pad/stuff sack at 21.4oz, so pad alone at 20.5oz. very close to your weights. i didn't measure length, but did check the width inflated and it comes to 19 inches as you said, not 20. if thy are saying 20, they have got to be counting the half inch seem on each end, which in my book doesnt count in the inflated measurement. you do fight air on the valve, but like you said it's pretty standard....not a deal breaker for me, but exped's system was pretty sweet.

the pad is pretty quiet when moving around, and i do agree it appears to be overall more durable than the synmat ul.

i like my exped alot, but it will most likely be going to the classifieds soon.

OP
slim9300

slim9300

WKR
Slim - i got my Q Core SL in the mail today, and your review is dead on. I had the stuff sack/patch kit at 9/10ths of an oz, and pad/stuff sack at 21.4oz, so pad alone at 20.5oz. very close to your weights. i didn't measure length, but did check the width inflated and it comes to 19 inches as you said, not 20. if thy are saying 20, they have got to be counting the half inch seem on each end, which in my book doesnt count in the inflated measurement. you do fight air on the valve, but like you said it's pretty standard....not a deal breaker for me, but exped's system was pretty sweet.

the pad is pretty quiet when moving around, and i do agree it appears to be overall more durable than the synmat ul.

i like my exped alot, but it will most likely be going to the classifieds soon.

Good copy. Thanks for the update.

Sk1 I'm interested in the exped if you are serious. Anyone else I have a used only on one 2 night trip big Agnes q core to go towards a trade for an exped ul7

bbrown

WKR
I just got my BA Q-Core SL mummy cut this weekend - supposed to be 16 oz and 20"x72" but came in at 17.5oz and 19"x71" (inflated).
For comparison my other BA IAC is supposed to be the same size and 20oz but comes in at 24oz.
The Q-Core seems to be much more comfortable without the vertical baffles and I am really liking it so far even though I have not slept on it yet.
attachment.php

Attachments

• pads.jpg
    pads.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 207