Back-Country Grills

I'm looking for a back-country grill, but haven't found many opinions or threads that are recent. I started looking at collapsible roll-up type grills, but the weight quickly threw me off at a little over 2 lbs. Then I found Purcell Trench grills, which look great and are super light weight, but don't come with a stand and I fear they may get damaged in a heavy pack. What are others thoughts on over-the-fire cooking set ups for the back country?

PNWGATOR

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
The Purcell Trench grills are fantastic. I’ve used mine for the last six or seven seasons with zero issues. I’ve always been able to cobble together a base and always manage to find a way to slip it into my backpack or panniers. Use it and like it so much, it always goes with me.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
PNWGATOR gave me one this year. I
Have used it, and it goes in my pack now.

Another Purcell fan. You have to set them up right with rocks or logs etc. but they work great.

gexpro

WKR
Classified Approved
outdoor research has a really nice small/thin mesh grill. cater towards the backpacker/bush craft community, however its pretty darn good quality. especially at the pricepoint. check them out on amazon.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Purcell Trench Streamside Voyager and four rib eyes...first night hunting camp tradition. Worth the extra weight on the pack in, trust me.

Also, made in USA and not available on Amazon.

Another vote for Purcell Trench here. Pretty durable, mighty light and not hard to set on rocks or wood/logs. Can usually slip into the back of the pack bag unnoticed. I‘ll carry one spanning the stays on my Kifaru Bikini frame to keep my bladder from infringing on the ventilation space along my back.

I bought a cheapo SS grill for pack in fishing trips. Got it on amazon for ~15 bucks and comes in around 10-12oz. I don’t think it’s as light as the purcells but it also doesn’t cost as much either.

It’s holding up decently over a few seasons. When it goes ill buy the Purcell.

it’s the dzrzvd if you’re searching for it.

There are very, very few items of gear I would describe as 'the absolute best'. My Purcell Trench Grill is one of them.

cuzmort

FNG
I couldn't agree more with the praise for the Purcell grills. The trench is perfect for my excursions. Their attention to detail and customer service makes me proud to own one of thier products.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Ratamahatta

Lil-Rokslider
This right here is what I use, find two rocks to hold it up, ain't nothing better than steak in the backcountry.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
PNWGATOR gave me one this year. I
Have used it, and it goes in my pack now.

I also got one from a gator santa claus and it is a staple in my pack. A very nice piece of gear. I also use mine to put my pots on to heat water and save on stove fuel.

Randy