Winter Bivouac in the Elkhorns

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cabin fever started setting in, soooo... headed for the Elkhorns for a little snowshoeing and an overnight. We're only about 60% of normal for snowpack, but still plenty of snow for snowshoeing :)

v28ok0x.jpg

IZzmxRO.jpg

vKr4olh.jpg

Found a pretty nice spot about 6 miles in.

zQx9SjE.jpg

I was originally just going to bring my bivy and dig a snow trench, but the weather report showed a 50:50 chance of snow and that was going to be breezy, so threw my tarp in too.

THJgy4N.jpg

mtpNy89.jpg

EhiuAFc.jpg

I took a bunch of snow and sealed the very back of the trap up and a couple of feet on both sides- helped keep the tarp flapping much in the night.

Got a bunch of firewood cut and processed.

eaH6ZP2.jpg

Snowshoe makes a good flat surface to boil water and prevents the canister getting stuck to the snow.

SqQt83d.jpg

Life is good

A5oClLD.jpg

There was a full moon out most of the night, pretty surreal looking- not a photographer would have been nice to capture it!

Up early, had a bunch of firewood/kindling/red needles ready to go, so fire was back up quickly.

sOcosJ9.jpg

No hurry, so it was a two cup morning :D

6FziWYE.jpg

Little easier on the way out w/ packed trails!

CVij7zq.jpg

Thanks for reading.

Caseknife

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely not much snow, fire didn't have to go too deep to hit the ground. See any critters out and about?

S.Clancy

WKR
I hit Sleeping Giant this weekend just for some day snowshoeing, it got decently deep up there. Now that I got a good packed trail maybe I can make over 1000' of vertical in an hour....

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks Gents!

Definitely not much snow, fire didn't have to go too deep to hit the ground. See any critters out and about?

Probably ~ 15" on the level at that elevation, less under the trees where I camped and I shoveled out a spot for the fire, but yeah not nearly as much snow as normal!

t_carlson

WKR
Dang. I need to get out and do that. I've been getting a little cabin fever myself.

Quick question: do you put your pad inside of your sleeping bag? And if so, why?

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dang. I need to get out and do that. I've been getting a little cabin fever myself.

Quick question: do you put your pad inside of your sleeping bag? And if so, why?

Not inside my sleeping bag, but inside of the bivy- keeps everything together instead of slip, sliding around.

The foldup Z-Lite pad that I use to sit on, goes underneath by bivy and then in the morning when I'm dressing and putting stuff away (including the inflatable pad)- I pull it from underneath and use it to sit/kneel on.

S.Clancy

WKR

Ha, when we first started backpacking in during mid/late November hunting elk my brother put his pad inside his sleeping bag. He woke up the next morning frozen to the tent floor. I didn't realize how much moisture is passed thru your bag at night until that moment.

Geewhiz

WKR
@mtwarden quick question. With your dialed in lightweight system, why do you choose to bring that big knife? Looks like you had a saw to cut the wood. I assume to split kindling? Evidently not enough "snappy" sticks to start a fire?

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thnaks Guys!

Did you make the whole loop or how far did you go?

That one can be a ball-buster in the deep snow, nice effort!

Was going to make a loop (Jackson Ck or Teepee Ck), gave up steam- too much postholing! Nice and easy on the way back out :ROFLMAO:

@mtwarden quick question. With your dialed in lightweight system, why do you choose to bring that big knife? Looks like you had a saw to cut the wood. I assume to split kindling? Evidently not enough "snappy" sticks to start a fire?

Yeah knife to split wood; lots of halves, but also a lot of kindling to get things going. I've had several smaller axes/hatchets- big knife is lighter :)

IDVortex

WKR
Just talked to the wife, got a meeting to meet with a Habit for Humanity project in CDA on Saturday, but after that, we're going to try and take our shoes out and see if we can find some snow. (Need to get my 24 license and my wolf tag too)

MNBob

FNG
Nice setup. Just got done winter camping and ice fishing in the Boundary Waters canoe Area Wilderness. Only about 5 inches of snow in northern MN. Pretty crazy winter we're having.