Winter Bivouac in the Elkhorns

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Very nice! Winter backpacking is awesome. I keep trying to get out but work keeps happening. Trying to head out with my DIY sled.

Randy

Fishn4eyes

Lil-Rokslider
Thnaks Guys!

Was going to make a loop (Jackson Ck or Teepee Ck), gave up steam- too much postholing! Nice and easy on the way back out :ROFLMAO:

Yeah knife to split wood; lots of halves, but also a lot of kindling to get things going. I've had several smaller axes/hatchets- big knife is lighter :)
I wish I would have known you were doing it. I'd have loved to walk back in there.

After you went in and came out!

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks Gents!

Very nice! Winter backpacking is awesome. I keep trying to get out but work keeps happening. Trying to head out with my DIY sled.

Randy

I've got a little do it yourself pulk- Paris Expedition sled w/ crossed poles- works pretty darn good. I'll bring it when my wife goes (sometimes we'll rent cabins that you can only get to skis/snowshoes) so she just wear a daypack and I load up the gear in the sled.

TOAiHTe.jpg

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
See any critters out and about?

Did see a couple of blue grouse close to the trailhead. Some fresh elk sign lower, ditto on cow moose & calf sign. The elk/moose sign disappeared around 6000'. I often see bull moose tracks high, but not this time.

I always bring my little .22 revolver, hoping to pop a snowshoe hare (or two)- always see tracks, rarely see a hare and when I do they're high tailing it out of there :D