Back country water storage.

Lawnboi

WKR
That sounds like a slick set-up. You think the 2L and hose kit is better than the newer Platy wide opening bladder?

Yes, iv owned 3 platy bladders including a water tank. Dont get me wron platys are alright bladders, better then the new camelbaks and source imo, but i got stress cracks in 1 of them after alot of use (and the other one was on its way before it got a hole), the other 2 got holes in them farily easily, i think they were from gently setting them down on the prarie when filling water, all of a sudden there was a tiny tear type hole. I couldnt believe how easily they developed holes, i was very careful too. Only one is still alive, but it will be getting passed down to my little cousin. The MSR bags are very easy to fill, its a standard nalgene cap, so most filters will hook right up. And they will last you a long time! Like i said that 2l was the only one that survived. i trust that 2l lite as much as i do a nalgene. And the 6l, shoot id have a hard time cutting that thing with a knife. There also very easy to clean.

But the best thing about these bladders is really thier versitility, and durability. You wont find a tougher one, an there is a number of uses they can serve. And they are made in the USA!

My bladders get pounded constantly, from mountain biking, to working out, to hiking, camping, hunting and everything in between, they are being used almost every day when it becomes warm enough to use a bladder.

You wont be disappointed in a MSR bladder, they are one piece of gear im 100% satisfied with. They also make an actual bladder, but why get that when you can get the drom and hose, then you have a more versatile setup, along with the ease of cleaning it. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Mike7

WKR
Totally agree with Lawnboi. With a 4 or 6 L DromLite with drinking hose attachment, you can fill it up part way for day time hunts and then fill it all of the way in the evening for camp needs and even switch over to the other cap for dispensing water. My 4 L DromLite with drinking tube is just 7 oz.

For storing water at base camp though if you aren't camping near water, or to just have ready water on hand for convenience, it's hard to beat the 10 L Dromedary. It is tough enough to leave hanging up against the tree while your hunting and I've never had mine leak yet. You can also attach the MSR shower hose to it if you want, which is a nice addition for family trips (my wife definitely prefers this to swimming in creeks).

I use rinsed out milk jugs. They're cheap, if they get a hole, I really don't care and they smash down for the pack out. You can also burn them in a pinch to get some good plastic fumes in the wilderness. (No, just pack them out)

Well I would use water jugs if you are going to do that. Using milk jugs is a bad idea. The milk leaves behind a protein film or something that you just can rinse out and will spoil the water. I may be wrong but pretty confident in this.

I bought some cheap 2 gallon collapseable water containers 2 years ago at a military outlet store. Packed them in with my bud a week before the season started and just (stupidly) stashed them off the Bovine trail behind some down timber and threw some brush over them. Week later we come in drop our gear and hunt till dark. Set up camp very easily go to get the water and a varmit chewed through both. Hunted 2.5 days on 100oz Camelbacks before we had to head out to get water. Couldn't find water that did not have me paranoid filter or no filter. Last year bit the bullet and filtered as well as used Aqua pills "after" we made the bovine get out of the water.

Lawnboi

WKR
^ yea always hang your water from a tree or something of that sort. I found the same thing out, seems like mice and other small animals like to cozy up to you water at night, because it retains so much heat. Iv had mice chew a few holes in water containers.

JSonn

FNG
Just picked up a 6L Dromedary the other day, it rocks- great suggestion Lawnboi

might be a stupid question but ive only been on one back pack hunt. how much water do would you say you go through in a day considering im eating one dehydrated meal a day?

slim9300

WKR
What do you guys use for storing water? I was looking at getting the MSR Dromedary or Dromlight bags in 6 or 10L.

I use the 10L Dromlight bag. It's actual weight is 5.0 ounces. It's the only way to go for me. When I get to basecamp I full it up and treat the water. The 10 liters normally lasts me about 3 days for both my hydration bladder and meals. Thus, I go though about 110-120 ounces per day. I like to bring a small nail to hang it on a tree.

slim9300

WKR
Are the drom light durable enough. I kinda assume the dromadery bags are overkill with the heavier cordura outer.

Total overkill but nice. My partner has one. They are black instead of red, have many eyelets and a chord that wraps around the edges. I guess you could remove the chord to save some weight. My Dromlight has lasted me 4-5 years already. Go with the 10L over the smaller one btw. I started with the smaller one and realized it wasn't working. Lol.

Last edited:

slim9300

WKR
I wish the dromlite's came in 10L. I am wanting to get one to split with my dad and would rather have 10L. Might just just get the heavier duty one.

They used to. I don't know why they stopped making them. They probably didn't sell too well with the ultralight backpacking crowd since most people like a smaller bladder. A 6L would be annoying now.

Last edited:

slim9300

WKR
I run a 4 and 6 Dromlight (4 in pack and 6 at camp).

I have both versions and the DD is way overkill.

That's a great idea for a bladder. I think I may ditch the 100 oz. Camelbak since I always worry about it leaking. Do they make a hose kit or adaptor? I would like to use my Camelbak hose if possible.

OP
cmeier117

cmeier117

WKR
That's a great idea for a bladder. I think I may ditch the 100 oz. Camelbak since I always worry about it leaking. Do they make a hose kit or adaptor? I would like to use my Camelbak hose if possible.

Yes they make a hose kit for DL. I am probably going this way for my bladder.

swat8888

WKR
In the past I've used the gallon nalgene bag at base camp...held up fine, just turned a nasty brown from iodine tabs so I retired it. I run 2x platy 1L bags when I'm on the move....one to drink, the other to disinfect since I use drops/tabs instead of a filter. While the platy's are fragile I like that you can run a biner through them and strap them where they are easy to access. I've had issues in the past using the water bottle holders on packs...always fell out of my mystery ranch, and my new DT1 doesn't have any holders. I've never been a hose guy, damn thing always ends up pulling out or something crazy and leaking all through my pack.

bbrown

WKR
I have been rocking the same camelback (blue cordura) for almost 10 years now - I keep waiting for it to give in but it just wont happen. I got it from the DOW when I worked for them for a summer after my first year of college have not seen another one like it since. I have since added a 2L platy bag that I keep in the bag with my water filter - it does not weigh anything and its enough water for a day (maybe 2). I am usually camped pretty near water so I fill up on water pretty much every day at some point.