Back tension release

Cdneville

FNG
Was wondering if anyone hunted with a back tension style release. What’s your guys opinion on using one on a hunt

Interesting in what everyone has to say here this will be my first year hunting with one I cant ignore how much better my groups are with a hinge than a trigger especially at distance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dkime

WKR
Hunted with a hinge and click all last year, filled 4 tags simply because I couldn’t buy 5. Didn’t feel handicapped a single time.

TripleJ

WKR
This will be my 3rd year hunting with a hinge. Wish I had switched a long time ago.

OP
C

Cdneville

FNG
Thanks for the feedback. Was also wondering if you guys bring a spare release or what spare archery equipment on out of state hunts

Brent111368

Lil-Rokslider
Buy a good trigger release, and shoot it correctly, with back tension, and you can be just as accurate as a hinge. It is all in getting a trigger that can be set HEAVY, setting the length to fit you, and then shooting it correctly. My favorite is the Carter Quickie +, and recently tried a Carter Like Mike. Not quite there yet with the Like Mike. I have tried a few other wrist strap trigger releases, and found them all to be garbage, Scott and Spot Hogg to name two. Trigger poundage just way too light and that spells massive failure and panic for most of us.

I shoot a hinge and a thumb both for hunting and 3d's I personally cant shoot a trigger style. RIght now im shooting a B3 Versa Brass, and a B3 Coop Brass.

dkime

WKR
Thanks for the feedback. Was also wondering if you guys bring a spare release or what spare archery equipment on out of state hunts

Every time, I run a thumb button as a spare. The easiest way to get TP is to try and shoot a hinge in the wind. So I switch depending on conditions, shot execution is the same though

CaseyU

WKR
I have shot a thumb release for hunting for last 6 years. Once i dropped it crawling under a fence and learned my lesson. I carried a second in my pack for a couple years and then stopped. Learned my lesson after the first drop. Carry whatever you practice with!

Buy a good trigger release, and shoot it correctly, with back tension, and you can be just as accurate as a hinge. It is all in getting a trigger that can be set HEAVY, setting the length to fit you, and then shooting it correctly. My favorite is the Carter Quickie +, and recently tried a Carter Like Mike. Not quite there yet with the Like Mike. I have tried a few other wrist strap trigger releases, and found them all to be garbage, Scott and Spot Hogg to name two. Trigger poundage just way too light and that spells massive failure and panic for most of us.
Agreed, I learned to shoot with back tension with a wrist rocket. I tried 2 hinges this spring and could not get used to them or shoot as accurately as my wrist rocket. Then I got a nock2it, love that thing. You will definitely know when you punch it VS a wrist rocket. Also so much more comfortable to draw and hold with a handheld imo.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OFFHNTN

WKR
I've hunted with a hinge the last several years and won't go back to a trigger. I use a TruBall HT3 with a click. I feel the clicker is a must. The main reason is if you are at full draw for a while and start to relax...the click will let you know you need to man up a bit. Or if you are shooting from an odd position, etc. The clicker will let you know what is going on. I do keep a spare trigger release in my pack all the time just in case, but I have hunted in about every kind of condition and the hinge has worked just fine.

I’m gonna hunt with a silverback this year. Coming from a Wise Guy wrist rocket. Gonna bring it along too for a spare. Only problem is I’m not sure how to keep up with the silverback. Having the wrist rocket strapped to my arm was nice and I’m worried I’ll drop and lose the silverback.

woody6899

FNG
Got a Stan this spring. Practiced for weeks with a sting. First pull on my bow, punched myself in the face so hard, I almost fell down. Haven’t touched it since.

KHNC

WKR
Ill tell you what will happen one day with a hinge. You will shoot amazing all year at targets, maybe kill several animals too. Then, that one day, when a giant buck or bull is about to walk thru your shooting lane and you stop it for a shot..........YANK!!!!!.... you just missed a beautiful critter because you rushed the shot! That likely wont happen with trigger. Leave the hinge at home! Learn to use a trigger for hunting. Take my hard learned advice! And this is after killing over 100 big game animals with a bow and multiple releasese. Hinge, trigger, thumb.

OFFHNTN

WKR
Ill tell you what will happen one day with a hinge. You will shoot amazing all year at targets, maybe kill several animals too. Then, that one day, when a giant buck or bull is about to walk thru your shooting lane and you stop it for a shot..........YANK!!!!!.... you just missed a beautiful critter because you rushed the shot! That likely wont happen with trigger. Leave the hinge at home! Learn to use a trigger for hunting. Take my hard learned advice! And this is after killing over 100 big game animals with a bow and multiple releasese. Hinge, trigger, thumb.

I couldn't disagree more with this. Flinching and hammering the trigger are way more of a problem than any kind of a yank with a hinge.

chasewild

WKR
The majority of guys and gals that hunt with a back tension release will say that is what they prefer. Myself included. The giant buck example above is the exact reason we practice and hunt with a back tension release -- it returns the shot to the process rather than the target. If you can't get the release to go off on that shot, then that shot was the one you weren't supposed to take. And that's the best piece of advice I've ever gotten, sometimes the best shot is the one you don't take.

But then again, I'm not a bowtech "ambassador."

I normally shoot with all three types throughout the year. My poi is pretty close on all. I keep a thumb release in my pack for a spare, the hinge stays in the tacklebox. I use backtension with my index release(Carter Like Mike). If I feel myself start to get punchy(right now as a matter of fact) I'll break out the hinge and start blank bale shooting. I would have a hard time personally using a hinge in a hunting situation, knowing how tricky they are.

Tim G

FNG
Late season last year I was using a Carter Evolution. Had a ton of clothes on....drew back and settled in, when I let off the safety button the arrow was gone. Whether it adrenaline or just too many clothes, I came in with too much tension. I've been using a Carter Like Mike lately and have it set pretty strong and use it as a tension release.