Back to archery

Naiche

FNG
I am wanting to get back into archery after 20 years away. I severed a bunch of ligaments in my right wrist in 2001 and after the reconstruction it hurt to draw a bow but I recently tried my uncles bow at a family picnic and it no longer hurts. I used to shoot PSE so have been looking at a brute nxt. The bow I shot at the picnic was a diamond deploy and it fit me well. Anybody have any input on these two mid-priced models? I am not able to afford a flagship model at this time

I would head to a local shop and try as many as you can. Bows have come a long way in the last 20 years. I would even go so far as to say that today's mid priced bows will be better then flagship models from 20 years ago.

And don't be afraid to buy used. I have seen a few Triax bows sell for around $500.

406unltd

WKR
Yup shoot as many as you can and pick the most comfortable one. Also it may not have hurt by flinging a few arrows but as soon as you start shooting more often it might creep in. So I’d pick a poundage that won’t aggravate a known injury as badly. You can always work your poundage back up over time

Rob5589

WKR
Welcome back! There have been a few changes in the last two decades lol
PSE is putting out some great bows with their Evolve cam. Super smooth, great shooters. The cool thing is that there are a ton of great bows available. Hit up a shop and try as many as possible.

krimmie

FNG
Agree that you should try as many models as you can. I ended up buying a new-old stock Hoyt Pro Defiant a couple years after it came out for half the price. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zac

WKR
If he goes to a shop there's most likely going to be one budget bow and a stack of flagship bows. I get so tired of this canned answer.

Rob5589

WKR
If he goes to a shop there's most likely going to be one budget bow and a stack of flagship bows. I get so tired of this canned answer.
He needs to find the right shop. Unfortunately they aren't as easy to find any longer as in years past.

For myself I don't care for the "go used" answer unless the person is very comfortable with what works for them or has the ability to actually shoot the bow set up for them. Buying used, especially online, when one has no idea what they're looking for isn't setting them up for success.

ZDR

WKR
I agree. The right ship has an interest in promoting archery in the long term versus the let’s make a buck shops as @Zac mentioned. Abq has one of each. If you’re ever here, visit Hit or Miss. phenomenal team and great selection of used, mid and high end bows. And no, I don’t work there.

TBHasler

WKR

Hit shop. Shoot everything you can. Pick model that suits you best...then go find it used at 25-50% off retail. This may take 3-6 months, but we always see heavily discounted bows that were just launched 4 months prior.

Zac

WKR
I found this for you. I would much rather have an older flagship than anything with the words budget attached to it. Camofire usually has killer deals on older Obsessions and Expedition, if your willing to wait.

OP
N

Naiche

FNG
Picked up a PSE Drive yesterday. Thanks for all the replies. Now to get it sighted and broken in.