Backcountry bow kit?

agardner00

Lil-Rokslider
What kind of bow maintenance/repair/spare kit do you carry on ,say, a 4 day backpack hunt? What kind of kit for the truck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I carry some serving, d-loop material, pliers (Leatherman), Allen wrenches, and an extra release.

Jbehredt

WKR
My full kit from home resides in a primos mini brief case thing. Enough gear to replace strings if need be. Press, square, recorded actual bow specs, old string set, serving..... That’s in the truck if I’m bow hunting. Nothing on me. The bows get a good pm weeks before the season. Anything worn or frayed is dealt with then.

Ucsdryder

WKR
At the truck I have my archery tackle box. I’m the field I have some peep tying thread and serving thread. If I can’t fix it with that I’ll go back to the truck, then I can fire an arrow or 2 to confirm POI is still good.

OP
agardner00

agardner00

Lil-Rokslider
Thank! That’s all really helpful.

I didnt see anyone mention a lighter to burn ends with. Maybe you would be fine till you got back to the truck (or jeep :) without it, but thought Id mention it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

On a hunting bow I always have a previous string still setup by the time I'm on a trip away from home with it. Peep still tied in and everything. Many times I travel with my press and a small kit with about everything I use at home. Serving, d-loop, Allen wrenches, screws, wax, nocks, glue, extra rest, and sight. Never needed any of it. Need to have a page of notes on where everything is as well, peep height, nock point, ATA, etc. I use a marker to put a mark on all screws so I can hopefully notice if they move. Also a sharpie mark on my string locating my peep, get into enough brush in the dark and bad things can happen. I have seen well tied peeps move. Also a few broken sights from falls. Haven't yet seen a string issue, however that's only a single mishandled broadhead away from happening.

Carry this for more than a 4 day hunt, if I wasn't traveling more than 3-4 hours I'd probably not carry much. Drive home and get a backup bow instead of trying to fix anything.