Backcountry Etiquette

Roofer1

Lil-Rokslider
Did a search and I didn't see much. Heading to Idaho from WI for my first unguided/backpack mule deer hunt. Understand that every situation has variables and that there are obvious things that anyone with half a brain should do (like helping if you come across an injured hunter, clean up trash... that kind of stuff), but looking for some thoughts from experienced guys on any backcountry etiquette/unwritten rules. Example would be something like setting up camp in proximity to another hunter. Easiest to walk up to them and see what they're all about? If they beat me there and have an issue then I just go to plan B, if not work something out on who's hunting where?

bsnedeker

WKR
I'm of the "if they get there first, it's their spot" school of thought. I've had guys setup camp within 100 yards of me before and it pisses me off to no end. The mountains are big and there are elk all over. If you are too lazy to scout out multiple different potential camp locations you shouldn't be on the mountain.

At the end of the day it's public land and you can do what you want, but it's a dick move if you ask me.

If I'm out running around on the mountain and I run into another hunter I'm happy to have a conversation with them and discuss plans. If we have the same plan I pretty much always allow the other guy to have at it and I change my plans.

TomJoad

WKR
I'm of the "if they get there first, it's their spot" school of thought. I've had guys setup camp within 100 yards of me before and it pisses me off to no end. The mountains are big and there are elk all over. If you are too lazy to scout out multiple different potential camp locations you shouldn't be on the mountain.

At the end of the day it's public land and you can do what you want, but it's a dick move if you ask me.

If I'm out running around on the mountain and I run into another hunter I'm happy to have a conversation with them and discuss plans. If we have the same plan I pretty much always allow the other guy to have at it and I change my plans.

Fully agree with bsnedeker here. If I have a spot I'm planning to hunt that has traffic, I'm just not deep enough. Final thought is on leave no trace principles. This has historically been best practice as it pertains to wilderness travel and if you are not familiar with the principles the basics are here:

Nowadays there is a higher level principle of "Leave it Better" where beyond leaving no trace you do you best to remove evidence that others have left in the field. I find all of this especially important for off-trail backcountry travel.

mwebs

WKR
I think you’ll get some “it’s public land do what you want” responses, but that’s not how I operate. Also what kind of experience are you looking for camping and hunting next to people everyday, probably not..
I always try to discuss plans if I run into someone, no sense in screwing each other all day. Last year guys were going in the same time I was, it was a huge area so I approached them to discuss plans and let them choose an area. They agreed to hunt about a mile away from where I was planning on going. They then proceeded to follow me up, bugling every 2 minutes about 300 yards behind me. The next day I had them sneak in while I was working a bull and screw it up. Then go down the ridge I was working bugling every 30 seconds. That to me is not great backcountry ethics.

WCB

WKR
I have ran into this situation and usually discuss it with the other hunter(s)...Have actually ended up camping and hunting with some them or at least coordinating routes and game plans and so far it has worked out great. To just pop up a tent next to someone and not say anything and then follow them is B.S. IMO.

First thing first don't give them any information on your scouting report or anything you have seen. It may not be your style but a lot of guys don't care and will bounce you out of a spot no questions asked. I have also done the bait and switch. I noticed a couple guys that would walk in on where guys were hunting or myself. This happened for about a week. Then I had a conversation and mentioned I saw a couple nice bucks in xyz drainage and I was planning on hunting there the next day. Sure shit drove by the next morning and who do you think was there....funny thing I had hunted two days prior and saw zero sign. Everyone else would avoid other guys like the plague and the only group I would consistently see by other camps or vehicles was this one group.

87TT

WKR

^^^ This pretty much sums it up

sndmn11

WKR
Wow, you guys are harsh! To me, a person is following etiquette if their first step in this process is to simply communicate. You don't know anyone's intentions if you don't find out, and vice versa. You might find someone who is hunting a different species, scouting for a future season, or doesn't hunt like you do....none of which you would know without communicating.

My unwritten rules: if I were to see a hunter shoot an animal, I offer to help track, process, and pack. If a hunter were to cross my camp or me during meal time, I offer them one. If I run across anyone, a wave, smile, and conversation are the norm. I also always ask of they need anything; TP, water, etc.

Everything happens on public land. I generally nicely greet other hunters. If they are camped near me, I try to discuss plans so we are not hunting on top of each other; but in most cases they tell me they are going to hunt one area, I leave it to them, but end up finding them hunting the area we agreed I would hunt. If they are the type to stick to hunting different areas, I actually prefer them camping near me so we can discuss plans for the following day and agree on something, so we are not hunting on top of each other.

The worst was a couple guys I have put on deer in the past more than once. I was working a exceptional buck trying to close the distance. I saw them and recognized them with my glass about 3/4 of a mile up slope from me. When I slid down a slope out of sight they literally ran the entire way. Because I did not know they were making such a prick move, they managed to get in front of me, barely. They took a small 4x3 and never knew the monster buck was there. They will never get away with that again, and likely will have an exceptionally difficult time taking a buck from that spot again.

If it is public land, I am more than willing to share it with guys that are respectful and guys that are willing to work with me so we are not hunting the same spots. I am also more than willing to put guys on animals I am not interested in harvesting. But if they are like the guys above, &%*$ them.

If you are camping at a trail head you should be expecting company.
Exactly, that's why i was asking!

We've been several miles in only to come back to "camp" and have two tents within 100 yards of us! It actually worked out though, we talked with them, and ended up hunting different parts of the drainage.

Troutnut

FNG
"Leave no trace" is critical. That includes toilet paper in places you'd think nobody will look, because if somebody does find it, that's a unique damper on their wilderness experience. Bury it well.

If I see somebody off in the distance, I'm instantly thinking about ways to stay away from them so we aren't competing for animals, etc. I'll change plans if I have to regarding camping spots, glassing spots, etc.

I have sometimes stumbled up on someone who came up to a glassing hill from a different angle, arrived while I was already there, etc. If the person's within 100 yards or so when we first spot each other in the backcountry, I like to go chat, see what I can learn from them, coordinate to stay out of each other's way.

Another biggie is don't camp in the middle of a basin that has game in it. Hit the periphery, hopefully down wind, stash your camp back into the trees. I see people set up camp in the middle of meadows and stuff that frequently hold game every year.

KurtR

WKR
I am in the who ever is there first . If i see the other hunter will talk to them and see if it will work with how we are hunting if not i will move on and let them be.

Life_Feeds_On_Life

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not sure that this applies to everywhere. Here in AZ where water is scarce if I've packed in several miles to the only spring I know of for drinking water and there's someone camped nearby there's a good chance I'm going to stick around. I'm not going to camp on top of the other people and I'll try to talk to them and figure out how to avoid each other but unless I know of another water source in the area I'm not going to just march around and hope I find one.

OP
R

Roofer1

Lil-Rokslider
A lot of this info is kind of what my thought process was. Plan was to make it in down horse/foot path far enough to hopefully avoid "traffic" as much as possible. Have a camp site picked out, then an alternate about a mile away if necessary. This trip for me has 2 goals, in this order: 1. start learning an area and enjoying solitude 2. shoot a mule deer. understand the whole "leave no trace" thing, that should go without saying.

Idahodmax

FNG
I had a guy camp really close to me once and I snuck into his camp and gave him good scare lol. Ended up being a weird conversation but he was oblivious to why it would be weird for him to hunt the same basin I was in. I ended up moving over a basin just because I like to hunt alone. Still baffles me why he couldn't see it was weird to stay there since I was already going on my third night...

Poser

WKR
Another biggie is don't camp in the middle of a basin that has game in it. Hit the periphery, hopefully down wind, stash your camp back into the trees. I see people set up camp in the middle of meadows and stuff that frequently hold game every year.

That seems like such an obvious hunting mistake that is surprising that any hunter with any kind of experience makes it. I’ve even seen outfitters do it with drop camps.

Carpenterant

Lil-Rokslider
I follow the pick up your trash rule. It drives me crazy finding beer cans miles in somewhere. I have yet to meet any of the people who pack beer that far in. I haven’t ran into anybody while big game hunting but I’ve ran into people on stand calling coyotes. I got out of any kind of line of sight so I was not mistaken and apologized and chatted a bit. One time I hiked a few mile loop and got back to where I started and a guy was set up in the exact same bush I had called from earlier.