Backcountry food questions

CalonDale

FNG
I am new to backcountry hunting and want to know what all you guys pack for food per day. I'm even more curious as to what everyone does for breakfast and lunch. Thanks

Trial153

WKR
Two packets of instant oatmeal and coffee cliff bar works for me....i also like.the peak refuel mountain berry deals.
Off grid sausage scramble is good too.

I can keep total food weight to about 1.5 pounds a day...and i am OK....little grumpy but ok.

Last edited:

Youngbuck86

Lil-Rokslider
Bfast, oatmeal is good. My fave lunch is galo salami, cream cheese on bagels.

Youngbuck86

Lil-Rokslider
how long does the lunch stay good for

If it's cold out a long time, like a week. Galo salami doesn't need to be refrigerated. They sell it by the pepperoni that's in a bag at the grocery store. If it is a hot hunt I don't bring cream cheese.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member

Napperm4

WKR
Breakfast - either instant oatmeal and coffee, a blend I make of granola. Freeze dried fruit and Nido powder in a freezer bag. Lately I’ve been doing the peak refuel mountain berry meals.

Lunch - wraps and a pack of foil tuna, chicken, spam singles or summer sausage cut up. I portion out and vacuum seal old cheddar wrapped in cheesecloth. I’ve gotten through month long summer backpacking trips that way. I keep a vial of hot sauce and mayo / mustard packs from fast food restaurants to spice things up.

Dinner - either a home made dehydrated meal or one of the Peak Refuel entrees

Snacks through the day like nuts, cheese, jerky, bars, cliff blocks, stinger waffles, hummus and crackers etc.

I use a bladder but bring a smart water bottle and some Gatorade drops for an occasional treat.

Done right I get about 4000 calories around 2 lbs of food per day

Poser

WKR
Breakfast: 2 McCann’s Irish Otmeal packs + generous amounts of powdered butter. Coffee + butter.

Lunch: salami + Gouda cheese wrapped in a tortilla. Add a package of ranch dressing or hot sauce (something to lube it up a bit) + protein bar.

Two packets of instant oatmeal and coffee cliff bar works for me....i also like.the peak refuel mountain berry deals.
Off grid sausage scramble is good too.

I can keep total food weight to about 1.5 pounds a day...and i am OK....little grumpy but ok.

Coffee Cliff Bar? Had to look that one up!! Which one is your favorite?

Deer_Bum

FNG
Will definitely look for the coffee cliff bars! I like PB and bacon wrapped in a tortilla for breakfast, extra one for a snack (not as dry as a bagel and less space). Pouch of tuna with a packet of mayo, olive oil, and relish or hot sauce for lunch, with A few crackers, some jerky, nuts, dried fruit, and protein bars to keep Me going.

I'm shooting for 3,000 calories a day. Below is what we took on our last 7 day backcountry hunt in Colorado last year. We base camp hunted after packing in, so we were heavy on the way in for things like Apples etc, but it was worth it to us. If I was packing everything every day I would drop the less calorie to weight items.

Calories
Breakfast2 Quaker Instant Oatmeal Packs
320​
Pre-cooked Bacon
300​
Instant Coffee
0​
Morning SnackHomemade Granola Bar
200​
Planters Nuts
270​
LunchClif Bar
260​
Jerky
150​
Apple
150​
Snickers
250​
Electrolyte Drink
0​
Afternoon SnackHoney Stinger Waffle
150​
Peanut Butter
170​
DinnerKnorr Rice
600​
Tuna/Chicken Packet
70​
Cookies
110​
Total Daily
3000​

Breakfast - either instant oatmeal and coffee, a blend I make of granola. Freeze dried fruit and Nido powder in a freezer bag. Lately I’ve been doing the peak refuel mountain berry meals.

Lunch - wraps and a pack of foil tuna, chicken, spam singles or summer sausage cut up. I portion out and vacuum seal old cheddar wrapped in cheesecloth. I’ve gotten through month long summer backpacking trips that way. I keep a vial of hot sauce and mayo / mustard packs from fast food restaurants to spice things up.

Dinner - either a home made dehydrated meal or one of the Peak Refuel entrees

Snacks through the day like nuts, cheese, jerky, bars, cliff blocks, stinger waffles, hummus and crackers etc.

I use a bladder but bring a smart water bottle and some Gatorade drops for an occasional treat.

Done right I get about 4000 calories around 2 lbs of food per day

I'd be interested in seeing a recipe for your homemade dehydrated meal. The prepackaged stuff is getting pricey.

Smiley

FNG
it seems like oatmeal is the choice for breakfast which is quick has any one tried powered eggs just doesn't sound right

MichaelO

Lil-Rokslider
I personally really like the mountain house scramble for breakfast. I know those powdered egg meals don’t get much love but I think they are good with a lil hot sauce.

then again I lived on MRE’s Far too often in the army and my own taste for whats acceptable might be a lil Off.

CO-AJ

WKR
I am new to backcountry hunting and want to know what all you guys pack for food per day. I'm even more curious as to what everyone does for breakfast and lunch. Thanks
I too am new to backpacking/backpack hunting. I have found a fantastic website that offers meal recipes. It is www.freshoffthegrid.com. In addition, there are sites where you can determine caloric requirements and then you can base your food loads off nutrient replacement. It is all very scientific and pretty interesting. Exo Mountain Gear website has a free nutrition plan under their resources tab. By understanding nutritional requirements you can really shave weight.