Backcountry Holster for G20?

I know many carry the Glock G20 as a secondary weapon for defense in the backcountry. I’m working on figuring out the best way to carry this beast.
The two options I’m considering are the thigh rig holster & some type of chest holster. Hip holster is out due to backpack.
Your opinions & suggestions on what you use or have used would be helpful. Thanks!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I only take my G20 on archery hunts. But I've been using a paddle holster for about 8 years now. With my daypack I keep it on my hip with the waist belt above it, with my Stone Glacier pack I just move it to the pack belt.

I just saw the Razcogear holster at the SCI show here in Bozeman a couple weeks ago and decided to order one...it’s a chest holster that attaches to Bino pack, which seems ideal to me. They are made here in Belgrade, MT, and I’m waiting on my production, so haven’t tried it yet...
https://www.razcogear.com/

CCH

WKR
I’ve been carrying my G20 in an HPG Kit Bag for many years, and it works well.

OXN939

WKR
I know many carry the Glock G20 as a secondary weapon for defense in the backcountry. I’m working on figuring out the best way to carry this beast.
The two options I’m considering are the thigh rig holster & some type of chest holster. Hip holster is out due to backpack.
Your opinions & suggestions on what you use or have used would be helpful. Thanks!

Carry mine in a Serpa hip holster with a backpack no issues.

wyoguy

Lil-Rokslider
I attached my Serpa hip belt to the backpack and have no issues. Was considering the the Kenia chest holster but with binoculars and taking layers on and off went with the hip belt.

deadwolf

WKR
Dave’s Guides Choice, Razco Gear, or Exo Mountain Gear holster made by Ivory Holsters.

All really good holsters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots of folks here like chest carry.

If you go hip, This little gizmo from safari land will drop a holster below your pack belt and add the benefit of making you look like a gun slinging badass. It is compatible with a large number of kydex holsters and you can add a plate and fork set that lets you remove the holster quick.

https://holsterops.com/products/universal-belt-loop-ubl

Only thing I wouldn’t recommend is a thigh rig. Sure they look cool in the movies but if you walk too far in one there is a strong to fairly strong chance the chaffing will either saw right through you leg or start a fire somewhere in your taint that will engulf your genitals in burning flames of hell.

I learned this lesson first hand on a 10-mile ruck march in the army some decades ago. It was a hot humid day and We went full battle rattle on a training op and there was a mix of thigh rigs among the group. By the end of the March they had all been removed or tied up out of the way. I saw some of the chaffing aftermath. It was pretty gruesome.

Last edited:
OP
Bigdawgridge
Only thing I wouldn’t recommend is a thigh rig. Sure they look cool in the movies but if you walk too far in one there is a strong to fairly strong chance the chaffing will either saw right through you leg or start a fire somewhere in your taint that will engulf your genitals in burning flames of hell.

I learned this lesson first hand on a 10-mile ruck march in the army some decades ago. It was a hot humid day and We went full battle rattle on a training op and there was a mix of thigh rigs among the group. By the end of the March they had all been removed or tied up out of the way. I saw some of the chaffing aftermath. It was pretty.

That’s exactly what I was wondering & concerned about - chaffing. Thanks for the response as well as suggestions.
Thanks to the others as well for the responses. Anyone have or try the FHF system with the Razco holster that snaps onto the Bino case? Just wondering what the additional weight would do. I see kmbrewcrew ordered one & that’s the route I believe I’m headed.

deadwolf

WKR
I use the Razco with a Marsupial Gear Bino Pack and I think it works great. You’re gonna know you have some extra weight there but it is my favorite way to carry my G20

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmac

WKR
I'll add one for the Gunfighter rig. It sits behind my bino pack and I can take pack on and off, seatbelts when in and out of a truck and always easy to get to.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Another vote for the Gunfighters Inc Kenai. Only real frustration is that then you have to carry your binos somewhere other than your chest. I do two things to mitigate that:
1) Get a Hip pouch for the pack belt that is big enough to hold the binos and then use para cord to make a light weight sling so you can hang them for you neck as needed.
2) Other option is a paddle holster that works with your pack waist belt. I prefer a paddle style as I can slip it off the pack and then slip it under my belt when the pack is off.

Off the two methods, the Kenai is the most comfortable, sans the bino issue.

Kenei by Gunfighters. No question. Works with a bino harness too.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I like the gunfighters but I also want to get something that will fit the belt of my pack. I use the diamond customs guide holsters for heavier revolvers (ruger redhawk 44, super blackhawk 454).