backcountry hunter from Norway

kevlar88

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a little late to the party but welcome. It's always awesome to hear from and about other like minded people and hunters from around the world. I have been living and hunting in Germany for the past three years and it sounds like there are a few similarities between here and there. I was a big bow hunter in the USA and was really disappointed that it is also illegal here in Germany, although, it's a quick 45 minute drive to France where it is legal to bow hunt. To obtain a German hunting license you must also pass a shooting proficiency test with a rifle, shotgun and pistol but we don't have to receritfy yearly. Those knives are incredible, no way I would put one of those aside for a replaceable blade. My buddy was just in Finland and got me a Marttiini puukko as a gift and its my new go to knife. It's been through several roe deer and boar since the beginning of December already. With a few swipes on a stone it's quickly back to shaving sharp. I will be in Norway in June and will be on the look out for a saami knife to keep this one company . Any chance you can hunt caribou in June?

OP
arctic scandi
I'm a little late to the party but welcome. It's always awesome to hear from and about other like minded people and hunters from around the world. I have been living and hunting in Germany for the past three years and it sounds like there are a few similarities between here and there. I was a big bow hunter in the USA and was really disappointed that it is also illegal here in Germany, although, it's a quick 45 minute drive to France where it is legal to bow hunt. To obtain a German hunting license you must also pass a shooting proficiency test with a rifle, shotgun and pistol but we don't have to receritfy yearly. Those knives are incredible, no way I would put one of those aside for a replaceable blade. My buddy was just in Finland and got me a Marttiini puukko as a gift and its my new go to knife. It's been through several roe deer and boar since the beginning of December already. With a few swipes on a stone it's quickly back to shaving sharp. I will be in Norway in June and will be on the look out for a saami knife to keep this one company . Any chance you can hunt caribou in June?
No, caribou season open august 20. Whereabout in Germany? My girlfriend is german. And yes the diffrence is huge, Germany and Norway is the same size, but Germany has 80 million people, and we have 5.

kevlar88

Lil-Rokslider
I am about 100 kilometers south of Frankfurt in the Kaiserslautern area. I would consider hunting in Germany urban hunting, there is unfortunately nothing backcountry about it. It is hard to get away from people, villages and roads, I would much rather have the 5 compared to 80 million people. I figured that with all the close proximity hunting they would be more accepting of bow hunting compared to rifle. The two reasons I've been given that bow hunting is illegal is that they feel the animals deserve the quickest most humane death possible and you get that with a rifle over a bow. The second reason is back in the day (2-400 years ago) the only people that hunted with a bow were poachers and it has just always been that way. It was pretty much reserved for royalty as they were the only ones that could afford rifles and the peasants had bows.

Turns out we will be in Norway late May. Do you have any suggestions for either hunting or fishing in that time frame?

OP
arctic scandi
I am about 100 kilometers south of Frankfurt in the Kaiserslautern area. I would consider hunting in Germany urban hunting, there is unfortunately nothing backcountry about it. It is hard to get away from people, villages and roads, I would much rather have the 5 compared to 80 million people. I figured that with all the close proximity hunting they would be more accepting of bow hunting compared to rifle. The two reasons I've been given that bow hunting is illegal is that they feel the animals deserve the quickest most humane death possible and you get that with a rifle over a bow. The second reason is back in the day (2-400 years ago) the only people that hunted with a bow were poachers and it has just always been that way. It was pretty much reserved for royalty as they were the only ones that could afford rifles and the peasants had bows.

Turns out we will be in Norway late May. Do you have any suggestions for either hunting or fishing in that time frame?
What part og the country are you visiting?

kevlar88

Lil-Rokslider
What part og the country are you visiting?

Wife wanted to do a cruise so we could see a good portion of the country, so we are doing a cruise. Looking forward to it but unfortunately, now that I'm looking at the itinerary, I don't think this will leave enough leisure time to really get out and do anything worth a darn. But just in case you have any suggestions:

05/20/2020 Nordfjordeid, Norway 09:00 17:00
05/21/2020 at sea - -
05/22/2020 Honningsvag, Norway 17:00 23:59
05/23/2020 Tromso, Norway 13:00 20:00
05/24/2020 at sea - -
05/25/2020 Trondheim, Norway 07:00 17:00
05/26/2020 Alesund, Norway 08:00 18:00

Well dang, that counts me out. Can fully relate to retarded politicians though, next time you need something to read with your morning coffee google "BC grizzly ban." They aren't any smarter over here and we're already seeing the effects of their short sighted decision making.

im curious to the immediate effects you guys have noticed up there. I’m all for the great bear being hunted, especially when you have them coming into the sounds of rifles like in Wyoming and Montana. That’s a problem.

Is it possible to hunt a Brown Bear in Norway, Sweden, or Finland? Also is Sweden very hunter friendly? I’ve read they are very advanced in technology and society, usually from what I’ve experienced that means they aren’t to keen on hunting, for example the I-25 Corridor in Colorado. Lots of antis there.
Scandinavia and Scotland are the only places I’ve ever wanted to leave America for. Extremely interested in a bear hunt over seas, as well as learning what small but differences overall Eurasian Brown Bears have compared to the Brown Bears in North America.

Can you guys still hunt walrus way up north? I know unless subsistence hunting I believe all marine mammals are off limits, at least in Alaska for North American standpoint.

im curious to the immediate effects you guys have noticed up there. I’m all for the great bear being hunted, especially when you have them coming into the sounds of rifles like in Wyoming and Montana. That’s a problem.

We just had a record year for bear encounters. Many bears destroyed, at least before the hides and skulls were kept and although there was no meat salvage requirement on griz many people did keep the meat as well...I never got to try it but my uncle said it was great....now they're just tossed in the bush and shit out by other bears.

OP
arctic scandi
Is it possible to hunt a Brown Bear in Norway, Sweden, or Finland? Also is Sweden very hunter friendly? I’ve read they are very advanced in technology and society, usually from what I’ve experienced that means they aren’t to keen on hunting, for example the I-25 Corridor in Colorado. Lots of antis there.
Scandinavia and Scotland are the only places I’ve ever wanted to leave America for. Extremely interested in a bear hunt over seas, as well as learning what small but differences overall Eurasian Brown Bears have compared to the Brown Bears in North America.

Can you guys still hunt walrus way up north? I know unless subsistence hunting I believe all marine mammals are off limits, at least in Alaska for North American standpoint.
i would venture to say that scandinavia overall, is hunter friendly, although there are people against hunting, mainly in the cities, but the resistance is slowly growing. Whalrus is not allowed to hunt, but we do have a generous Seal season. I would suspect it to be possible to hunt bear in sweden and finland, Norway would be more difficult due to smaller population og bears. And what is hunted is mainly hunted by residents

OP
arctic scandi
Wife wanted to do a cruise so we could see a good portion of the country, so we are doing a cruise. Looking forward to it but unfortunately, now that I'm looking at the itinerary, I don't think this will leave enough leisure time to really get out and do anything worth a darn. But just in case you have any suggestions:

05/20/2020 Nordfjordeid, Norway 09:00 17:00
05/21/2020 at sea - -
05/22/2020 Honningsvag, Norway 17:00 23:59
05/23/2020 Tromso, Norway 13:00 20:00
05/24/2020 at sea - -
05/25/2020 Trondheim, Norway 07:00 17:00
05/26/2020 Alesund, Norway 08:00 18:00
That is tight..

i would venture to say that scandinavia overall, is hunter friendly, although there are people against hunting, mainly in the cities, but the resistance is slowly growing. Whalrus is not allowed to hunt, but we do have a generous Seal season. I would suspect it to be possible to hunt bear in sweden and finland, Norway would be more difficult due to smaller population og bears. And what is hunted is mainly hunted by residents
100% coming up there one of these years

GLB

WKR
Thanks again for opening up Norway and the surrounding countries. Archery is it a thing over there at all? Bow hunting a possibility in the future?
Has there been a push to allow bow hunting?

Kona Bob

FNG
my Dad and his Army buddies, hunted out of an Uncle's farm near Tveit in the late 50's. i can't tell you how many times i looked at the slides as a kid (OK, i'm old) and desperately wanted to go...

Welcome!