BackCountry Navigator (How I made it do what I wanted)

OP
muleman

muleman

WKR
Found a new imagery source to be used as a custom map source in BCN. It is world imagery hosted by esri / ArcGIS.

The imagery is really good. I even wonder if this shares the same source that Bing uses. There are few stitching issues where the tiles were taken at different times and some hard shadows in cliffy areas. Otherwise this is some of the best imagery I have seen available in a hand held device.

3y7aqyvy.jpg

uhehy5et.jpg

ena3e5yz.jpg

be6ure2u.jpg

Last edited:

weaver

WKR
Muleman how did you go about to get those images on BCN? Looks much better then the imagery they have available.

OP
muleman

muleman

WKR
By changing the Batch Download setting to yes. I was able to download the imagery for offline use.

OP
muleman

muleman

WKR
BCN has added new high resolution imagery from Digital Globe. The imagery is available on an annual subscription basis.

Here is a screen shot of the Digital Globe imagery with the BLM land ownership layer overlay. This screen shot shows up a little blurred. On the screen it is clearer.

uqudeqaz.jpg

wapitibob

WKR
Nice.
Have you had any trouble with android locking out the write to sd function? I would use an android based garmin if BCN would create a pc front end for their stuff.

OP
muleman

muleman

WKR
Nice.
Have you had any trouble with android locking out the write to sd function? I would use an android based garmin if BCN would create a pc front end for their stuff.

I have a rooted phone so no.

I know there are some issues overall with the later versions of android and SD write permissions.

I believe that BCN has a work around. Let me take a look at their forum and get a URL.

69ChrisCraft

Lil-Rokslider
BCN has added new high resolution imagery from Digital Globe. The imagery is available on an annual subscription basis.

Here is a screen shot of the Digital Globe imagery with the BLM land ownership layer overlay. This screen shot shows up a little blurred. On the screen it is clearer.

uqudeqaz.jpg

That resolution is incredible. I've done some digging to try and identify the best android device, seems that Samsung has batteries available that one can swap. Coming from an iPhone for the last 6 years I'm new to the array of options. Are there any other features that are must haves in your opinion? I like that the S5 active has a easily accessible barometer but is only carried but ATT so that's a no go... I'd rather have cell service.

OP
muleman

muleman

WKR
That resolution is incredible. I've done some digging to try and identify the best android device, seems that Samsung has batteries available that one can swap. Coming from an iPhone for the last 6 years I'm new to the array of options. Are there any other features that are must haves in your opinion? I like that the S5 active has a easily accessible barometer but is only carried but ATT so that's a no go... I'd rather have cell service.

Disclaimer:
Not to upset the iCrowd but the android OS has been going the way of Apple lately. They have pulled some dumb stunts and limited some of the functionality in past several releases. Make sure you read this link. http://support.crittermap.com/entri...es-External-Storage-locked-after-4-4-updates-

These types of issues could happen and you might have to fiddle to make everything work perfectly. To me it is worth it to be able to customize for my needs. For instance I am able to edit the BCN database to modify the property owners names, color, and how they display. This isn't a function of the app rather the power of open android OS. There is still great power in android and almost unlimited flexibility if you are rooted. With that said rooting isn't to be taken lightly and not for everyone.

With the disclaimer out of the way and knowing some of the stunts that Android has pulled recently. These would be my requirements for a new phone and the primary use is for voice, text, email, and BackCountry Navigator.
  • Large internal storage 32GB preferably 64GB internal storage
  • Good resolution
  • Good daylight visibility
  • Removable battery
  • Micro SD slot
  • Large screen

I have used BCN with a Galaxy Note 2 and Note 3 with great success. These are big phones (phablets) though. After using a big screen I'm hooked and could not go back to a smaller screen. Not to mention they have huge battery capacity.

The Galaxy S5 looks to be a good option and I believe variants are available with the major providers.

robtattoo

WKR
Can someone explain (in words on one syllable or less) to a complete techno-spaz, how I get a map that is a detailed aerial photo, overlayed with contour lines?
I'm VERY new to the app, but I figured that it would be a lot cheaper than a stand alone gps.
I've downloaded the accupoint setup, but I really don't know how the different maps/layers work.
If it's any help, I'm looking at Colorado unit 25 around crescent lake/flat tops.

OP
muleman

muleman

WKR
I just did a video that walks you through the process. I just need to figure out how to post it.

Just so you know the imagery with contour lines is not as nice as the World imagery or Digital Globe imagery discussed earlier.

OP
muleman

muleman

WKR
Here is the video.

[video=youtube_share;SqNfPM16FWs]http://youtu.be/SqNfPM16FWs[/video]

Use the same process to choose other map sources.