Backpack Problem; Plans for 1st Elk Hunt; Shoot me straight...

Thanks for chiming in, that is great information.

Here's the specific plan...I've got two areas I'd like to key in on. I am getting into the area 24 hours before my partner, so I've got a long hike planned in one area for that first day. I'll be walking in before sunup and want to cover about 10-12 miles that first day. I'll make a long loop and hopefully learn some information. Head to pick him up from the airport the next day and then our trip really begins, and if I learn good info that first hike we'll go there, if not we'll go to the other area. What would you recommend I look for on this scouting day?

I wasn't planning on bringing a spotter because I can't afford one, but I've also been told I probably don't need one here, that is good to hear.

So when you are hunting from the truck, are you just driving the roads before daylight, parking and listening for a while? And if you don't hear one you drive on?

Just a few things. I think you'll be fine without a spotting scope. If you're driving around mountain roads...back and forth... guys like me and my friends might be swearing inside our heads and thinking impure thoughts.

You have a plan. You've targeted an area. Check it out. Carefully. Pay attention to the wind. If you blow the elk out, they could keep going for further than you think. Impress that on your friend. He might not realize it if he's not a Hunter.

ToddB is doing you a solid without asking for anything. Make sure to feed him some pictures and updates. And down the road, when you pay things forward, give ToddB a heads up that his gift is still giving.

Have a great hunt.

ToddB - It's not much, but you're on my list. If we ever cross paths, I owe you a tasty craft beer. Kudos, brother.

ToddB is doing you a solid without asking for anything. Make sure to feed him some pictures and updates. And down the road, when you pay things forward, give ToddB a heads up that his gift is still giving.

Completely agree ToddB you deserve a round or two of your choice!!

So when you are hunting from the truck, are you just driving the roads before daylight, parking and listening for a while? And if you don't hear one you drive on?

Too many people on the roads where I was. I was hiking in a half mile to a ridge above my camp and then moving from there deeper into the area I was hunting - using locator calls whenever I got far enough along to open up new terrain, and then continuing that throughout the day unless I was setting up on a water hole or wallow.

I did on a couple occasions get bulls responding and bugling from close to roads (in the dark or very soon after first light), so it can work, but that was only on a couple occasions for me.

I've been on a number of elk hunts, and have had quite a bit of success - but I am by no means an expert... Use what you have. I spent many years taking an old Kelty External frame beast of a pack to pack in my camp, and then a small, lightweight cabelas daypack to hunt out of. When I killed an elk (or deer, pig, bear, etc.) - I would load up a boned out quarter (or whatever fit) into the daypack, which was not made for packing weight. I would take it out as far as my external frame, and then go back for the rest with the big, old, crappy Kelty. And it worked for years! I have since upgraded to a Kifaru Duplex with Cargo Panel, Guide Lid, various pockets, etc. - and I've ditched the separate day pack. The Kifaru collapses down to nothing, and I'm sure glad I have it with me when the meat hits the ground! Sounds like toddb has you covered though!

As for your hunting scenario - It is hard to say how to hunt your spots. Every spot is different. I might caution you against driving around, listening, scouting, etc. It is too easy to use your vehicle as a crutch. We've all been there - you struggle to find animals, and then pretty soon you start driving all over the place, road hunting, covering the whole zone. I would say to set up your base camp right by your truck or very close by. Then scout/hunt from there. If you find animals, sign, promising areas, etc. then set up a spike camp deeper into the hunt area, near water, and near the promising areas. Then stay the nights in there. Where I hunt in Colorado, we set up a wall tent along a stream at 9500 ft. We then pack in about 4-6 miles and set up a spike camp along the same creek, but at 11,000 ft. When spiked in, we will often hear bugling at night, that you don't always hear down at base camp. A lot of times, I will hike out from camp a few hundred yards in the middle of the night (away from the loud, flowing creek water) and listen for bugles. Sometimes I'll throw out a bugle or two to see if I get a response. I've found the elk can be very vocal all night long, but you won't hear a peep during the day. Spike camping in will also provide a much different kind of a hunt then hunting out of your truck, wall tent, camp trailer with a bunch of other hunters. The experience is much more raw and spiritual, and makes getting an elk much more rewarding!

I've been on a number of elk hunts, and have had quite a bit of success - but I am by no means an expert... Use what you have. I spent many years taking an old Kelty External frame beast of a pack to pack in my camp, and then a small, lightweight cabelas daypack to hunt out of. When I killed an elk (or deer, pig, bear, etc.) - I would load up a boned out quarter (or whatever fit) into the daypack, which was not made for packing weight. I would take it out as far as my external frame, and then go back for the rest with the big, old, crappy Kelty. And it worked for years! I have since upgraded to a Kifaru Duplex with Cargo Panel, Guide Lid, various pockets, etc. - and I've ditched the separate day pack. The Kifaru collapses down to nothing, and I'm sure glad I have it with me when the meat hits the ground! Sounds like toddb has you covered though!

As for your hunting scenario - It is hard to say how to hunt your spots. Every spot is different. I might caution you against driving around, listening, scouting, etc. It is too easy to use your vehicle as a crutch. We've all been there - you struggle to find animals, and then pretty soon you start driving all over the place, road hunting, covering the whole zone. I would say to set up your base camp right by your truck or very close by. Then scout/hunt from there. If you find animals, sign, promising areas, etc. then set up a spike camp deeper into the hunt area, near water, and near the promising areas. Then stay the nights in there. Where I hunt in Colorado, we set up a wall tent along a stream at 9500 ft. We then pack in about 4-6 miles and set up a spike camp along the same creek, but at 11,000 ft. When spiked in, we will often hear bugling at night, that you don't always hear down at base camp. A lot of times, I will hike out from camp a few hundred yards in the middle of the night (away from the loud, flowing creek water) and listen for bugles. Sometimes I'll throw out a bugle or two to see if I get a response. I've found the elk can be very vocal all night long, but you won't hear a peep during the day. Spike camping in will also provide a much different kind of a hunt then hunting out of your truck, wall tent, camp trailer with a bunch of other hunters. The experience is much more raw and spiritual, and makes getting an elk much more rewarding!

ToddB and I have already started trading photos! It happened almost instantly. He'll get the insiders inside scoop on this hunt, and more down the line.

Toyota it sounds like you are kinda describing a staggered entry scheme...like move in to that 3-4 mile zone slowly as you gather more evidence?

I'm really drawn to the idea of a spike camp scenario, for the reason you ended with.

Along with running the roads too much, what are other things I can avoid doing that I probably don't know about?

You might consider handheld radios if you two will be split up - if sticking together, you probably don't need radios. Maybe a camera to get photos of your hunt. A GPS can be helpful, especially if you have never been there. It helps to mark wallows, bedding areas, camp... They're really helpful if you kill an elk late in the day and need to mark it to find the next day.

Dude, good luck on your hunt. I'm in the exact same boat. Exept I have over a year to prepare for mine. What I have gathered for info by creeping the forums. Rock what you got man, I'm rocking an old standard issue MOLLE bag with an aluminum pack frame. If you over pack, drop stuff off at the truck, then go back out. I wish the best of luck to you. I hope you get some meat for the freezer

Best advice I could give is take what you've got and have fun. After this first trip you'll have a much better idea of what you need, what's gonna get dropped, what needs to to added, and so on. I'm not near as experienced as the rest of the group but that was some of the best advice I was given when I started the addiction. First trip won't be perfect but will be the most memorable.

molon labe

You might consider handheld radios if you two will be split up - if sticking together, you probably don't need radios. Maybe a camera to get photos of your hunt. A GPS can be helpful, especially if you have never been there. It helps to mark wallows, bedding areas, camp... They're really helpful if you kill an elk late in the day and need to mark it to find the next day.

I actually have the Garmin Oregon GPS, I forgot to include that.

About Wallows...if I find one, how do I know whether it is worth hunting or not? People have said it will smell distinctively, but what else should I look for beyond fresh sign?

Cumminsbassguy...I actually saw my opportunity at this trip about 18 months ago and have been moving heaven and earth to make it happen. My biggest change has been getting myself in excellent physical shape.

MrBill...fun and safe is the name of the game. Honestly I've already accepted that I probably won't kill, I just want the experience and to know I tried as best I could! I am a person that will learn for the sake of learning and can see the value in analysis and reflection. I plan on taking a bunch away from the trip, personal and otherwise!

We don't have radios but we plan on sticking together.

Wallows will often have dirty water with suspended dirt if freshly used. If not recently used, the dirt settles out and the water becomes clear. They will often smell like a musty barnyard from peeing. If you run across fresh pee stains or fresh poop pellets - get down on your hands and knees. Smell it, and learn that scent. Believe it or not, if you are still hunting - you will often smell elk before seeing them! You will become so tuned in to that smell! When I smell that musty smell, my rifle gets shouldered! I like to wear a hoochies mama call around my neck, or tethered to a belt loop. As you are walking through the woods, you will break branches and make noise. Let out a mew or two when you make noise, so if an elk hears you they think it is another elk. I have had bulls run up to 5 yards by mewing to cover my tripping over branches. In every case, I didn't have a clue that elk were around.

Wallows will often have dirty water with suspended dirt if freshly used. If not recently used, the dirt settles out and the water becomes clear. They will often smell like a musty barnyard from peeing. If you run across fresh pee stains or fresh poop pellets - get down on your hands and knees. Smell it, and learn that scent. Believe it or not, if you are still hunting - you will often smell elk before seeing them! You will become so tuned in to that smell! When I smell that musty smell, my rifle gets shouldered! I like to wear a hoochies mama call around my neck, or tethered to a belt loop. As you are walking through the woods, you will break branches and make noise. Let out a mew or two when you make noise, so if an elk hears you they think it is another elk. I have had bulls run up to 5 yards by mewing to cover my tripping over branches. In every case, I didn't have a clue that elk were around.

This is really good info, thanks for responding to the question. I hope a bull runs up to me like that! People keep telling me that I will smell them first, and I guess I just have to experience it to know! Every now and then when I am approaching a deer stand from down wind I can catch the scent of a rutting buck...I assume it is similar to that smell but much more prevalent. I might only distinctly smell a rutting buck 2-3 times/year.

i cant wait till next year when I can hopefully get out and be a mountain man.. really anticipating your stories man! ive read a lot of guys doing the call thing as mentioned by yota guy. and having luck.. there is a thread on here about just that. happened yesterday I think

It couldn't have worked out more perfect. You got this man! It's all a mental game. If you get to a quitting point. Smash that wall down And keep on trucking

You're headed in the right direction. As for your hunting, one thing I would suggest after doing it too many times is always be hunting. Elk end up in weird places a lot of times. If I could count the elk I've spooked while trying to hustle to a specific place I'd have meat for the next 30 years. I've jumped up 300 class Bulls 40 yards off a well used road, etc. Take your time, especially in the timber. And keep your nose open as stated by others. I almost alwaus smell elk before I see them. Good luck man. If you get in a bind I'm only 1 1/2 hours away from your area. Shoot me a pm and I'll give you my number in case you need something

You're headed in the right direction. As for your hunting, one thing I would suggest after doing it too many times is always be hunting. Elk end up in weird places a lot of times. If I could count the elk I've spooked while trying to hustle to a specific place I'd have meat for the next 30 years. I've jumped up 300 class Bulls 40 yards off a well used road, etc. Take your time, especially in the timber. And keep your nose open as stated by others. I almost alwaus smell elk before I see them. Good luck man. If you get in a bind I'm only 1 1/2 hours away from your area. Shoot me a pm and I'll give you my number in case you need something

Thanks! Yeah I'd love a few local contacts up there, pm incoming.

Just wanted to update this forum...Todd's package came in the mail Wednesday and I'd like to share what I received.

This was like christmas morning for me, first time I've felt like this in a long time. As he said, Todd is letting me borrow two packs. But he outfitted this package with so many other essentials that I can't even list them all. Calls, game bags, straps, pockets, zips, gloves, skinning tools. You name it. He also sent me this amazing stack of reading materials. I took the whole thing to my master bathroom and replaced all my wife's stuff with magazines. Let me tell you, she thought that was HILARIOUS.

I am going to try and keep updating this thread. I leave a week from today, but I want to publicly thank Toddb again and also thank the rokslide forum for all the incredible information that is shared here.

Now I've just got to figure out these packs! They've got more features than desktop computer!View attachment 40586View attachment 40587

Toddb, you sir are a stand up guy.

Flatlander, I was in your shoes a few months ago and just punched my first tag last week. From another new guy, the advice above is all solid. Get away from the road and listen. If you can go up before the hunt starts and locate elk, you can then know exactly where to hike in for your spike camp. Once you're close remember that you're a slave to the wind. In my scouting trips I got myself really close to a lot of elk and usually got busted when there was a wind change. I was three miles in and solo and the experience was incredible, much better than being on the road. Most of all, it's your hunt, so enjoy it!

I have to get to work and I might not have spotted this in another's post but there are two (2) basic rules to elk hunting paramount to all others:

#1) WIND IS EVERYTHING

#2) WIND IS EVERYTHING

Back