Backpack Review

PA-R

Lil-Rokslider
I order the extra insert, put it in the lumbar sleeve, my pack stays put, no more sliding, or adjusting it up. well worth the $5.00.

OP
SamongYang
I order the extra insert, put it in the lumbar sleeve, my pack stays put, no more sliding, or adjusting it up. well worth the $5.00.
My slipping issue occurred with an extra lumbar insert (two total). I had to completely replace the lumbar pad to resolve the slipping issue for me. Regardless, I'm very happy that Exo goes the extra mile to get their packs to fit right!

OP
SamongYang
Can you clarify if you just installed the $4.99 additional lumbar insert from EXO, or if this was in fact an entirely different lumbar pad that’s not listed on their website? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I swapped out the actual lumbar pad, not the lumbar insert. Exo doesn't sell the new lumbar pad on their website, but they're more than happy to help if you contact customer service!

shax2lex

Lil-Rokslider
It’s interesting you mentioned the slipping. I had the same issue last year during some training. I asked about it. I emailed EXO and we came to the conclusion I needed an extra lumbar insert. It just didn’t feel correct. After your review, I emailed them and they were super helpful. They did mention some site changes. I’d keep an eye out for a denser lumbar pad. I’ve got one coming in and I am excited to try it.

Matt G.

WKR
Thank you for a great review. I look forward to you taking a look at the MR. I ran this on last 2 hunt and have issue with slippage with weights over 60 lbs. It seems like the front of belt stays in place but lumbar slips down. Anyway looking at the SG and exo now and makes dogfight decision.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

OP
SamongYang
Thank you for a great review. I look forward to you taking a look at the MR. I ran this on last 2 hunt and have issue with slippage with weights over 60 lbs. It seems like the front of belt stays in place but lumbar slips down. Anyway looking at the SG and exo now and makes dogfight decision.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
Thanks, Matt. I'll keep an eye out for that slipping issue when I'm using the MR. The fact that both the EXO and SG are excellent packs makes it difficult to choose for sure. Let me know if you have any questions regarding either pack.

OP
SamongYang
It’s interesting you mentioned the slipping. I had the same issue last year during some training. I asked about it. I emailed EXO and we came to the conclusion I needed an extra lumbar insert. It just didn’t feel correct. After your review, I emailed them and they were super helpful. They did mention some site changes. I’d keep an eye out for a denser lumbar pad. I’ve got one coming in and I am excited to try it.
Yeah, I ordered the lumbar insert to test out but I still had the slipping issue. I had to completely swap out the actual stock lumbar pad with the new dense lumbar pad to resolve my slipping issue. It seems to be a very subjective topic and it varies from body to body. I'm a fan of Exo going the extra mile just to make sure that the user has a pack that fits them well!

Outdoorsmans' packs are on my radar. I'm curious which particular pack you went with? I'm thinking of the Palisade 90.
We use the long range Hunter. But I believe a palisade would be good as well. I can say that mine came haul pretty much for me anyway more weight than I can handle. The frame is very adjustable. We packed out a bull and I was loading mine down pretty heavy to where it took two men to lift it up on to me. I did get the extra lumbar pad.

shax2lex

Lil-Rokslider
@SamongYang After I saw you video, I emailed EXO about the denser lumbar pack. It was $10 and they sent it to me. I dropped it into my pack and went for a ruck with my kid on Sunday. I had a 50lb bag of concrete held in by the crib panel and I strapped my daughter's Osprey Poco kid carrier strapped to the frame over the concerete. The kid was in the carrier and the total weight was about 90lbs. The pack felt much better. The pad felt harder when I put it in but with the heavier load it settled perfectly. It also seemed to distribute the weight better across my lumbar. My back didn't hurt either. Best of all the bag didn't slip. I'd say get the denser lumbar if you have a slipping problem.

I tried the denser foam lumbar pad and the slipping was better, but still slipped way to much for my liking. After 15 minutes the lumbar was sitting at the top of my butt with all the pressure there. I have always liked Exo and their bag layout, but they need to fix the slipping issue.

OP
SamongYang
I tried the denser foam lumbar pad and the slipping was better, but still slipped way to much for my liking. After 15 minutes the lumbar was sitting at the top of my butt with all the pressure there. I have always liked Exo and their bag layout, but they need to fix the slipping issue.
I agree. The most common complaint I get when I ask Exo users about their pack is slipping. I'm lucky to have the denser lumbar pad mitigate that issue, but I can see why it doesn't help. I think one of the easiest upgrades to their lumbar pad is to use a sticky material like the Kifaru and Stone Glacier. The SG's lumbar sticks on me like it's glued to me.

I agree. The most common complaint I get when I ask Exo users about their pack is slipping. I'm lucky to have the denser lumbar pad mitigate that issue, but I can see why it doesn't help. I think one of the easiest upgrades to their lumbar pad is to use a sticky material like the Kifaru and Stone Glacier. The SG's lumbar sticks on me like it's glued to me.
Yes agree. I have owned them all and some multiple times and the Exo k2 frame actually slipped less then the k3 because it had a sticker face fabric on the lumbar pad. The other issue I see is the lumbar pad on the exo really does not have anything rigid behind it; therefore under load the lumbar pad can push or recess back into the frame. The kifaru and SG does not do this. I will say under heavy load I do get some slipping with the Kifaru as well. I think the SG is the best for staying up due to sticky material and a streamlined rigid foam. Under load dual density really hurts you because it acts as a movement layer even when it compressed. Whereas SG uses single piece density foam and its more dense has less movement.