Backpack tent with floor

lif

WKR
I’m trying to find an affordable lightweight tent with a floor. It’s for my wife who is doing a back pack trip in the desert this fall. I’d like something that is east to setup, has a built in floor, and doesn’t break the bank. Please help with any suggestions. Thanks.

TaperPin

WKR
If you’re in the desert just about anything works, but if there’s no chance of bad weather it’s nice to be able to skip the rain fly. If the area doesn’t have much for wind a design with two poles is super simple to put up.

There are probably 50 three-season dome tents like this that weight about 5 lbs and are about $200. More expensive three-season tents are either made with lighter materials to save weight or more durable designs and fabric to hold up in bad weather.

Maybe it’s just me, but the wear and tear of camping on rocks, gravel and sand, combined with occasional high winds that can flatten or blow away an unoccupied tent like a tumbleweed, kept me away from the more expensive extra light tents.

This REI tent is very similar to one I spent over 100 nights in.

Attachments

• 5B26A3E1-BBEF-4010-AA80-B8ED49E45ED0.png
    5B26A3E1-BBEF-4010-AA80-B8ED49E45ED0.png
    439.1 KB · Views: 32
OP
L

lif

WKR
I should clarify that I would like it to be at least 3 seasons. Rain fly not necessary for this trip but would be an option in the future. I would like to get a tent that I can use going forward for myself as well. It needs to have a sewn in floor because of my wife’s concern of critters crawling in it. Thanks for all the suggestions. If it helps, I would be willing to fiend $300-400.

GMann

FNG
If you’re in the desert just about anything works, but if there’s no chance of bad weather it’s nice to be able to skip the rain fly. If the area doesn’t have much for wind a design with two poles is super simple to put up.

There are probably 50 three-season dome tents like this that weight about 5 lbs and are about $200. More expensive three-season tents are either made with lighter materials to save weight or more durable designs and fabric to hold up in bad weather.

Maybe it’s just me, but the wear and tear of camping on rocks, gravel and sand, combined with occasional high winds that can flatten or blow away an unoccupied tent like a tumbleweed, kept me away from the more expensive extra light tents.

This REI tent is very similar to one I spent over 100 nights in.
I have both the one man and two man versions of this tent. Did a short overnight backpack trip with my 11 year old son last weekend and he carried the one man while I carried the 2. The tents worked great and while a bit heavier than some of the more expensive options out there we had no complaints. I plan on switching to titanium stakes for both which should save almost a pound for each. The ones that come with the tent are heavy.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

fatlander

WKR
Seek Silex w/ Nest and Carbon Poles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If looking for ease of setup I'd look at the Durston x-mid or a few of the tarptent models. Not sure what you want to spend exactly but tarptent does have a blem section on the website that's has anywhere between 10-20% off depending on model.
The x-mid and most tarptents are very simple to setup and lightweight.

Wildhorse

Lil-Rokslider
I am very surprised no one has brought up a catoma EBNS if you really want something that is easy to set up this is the one you can get it with the rain fly as well as an added ground tarp which increases footprint but it's not always needed I have used mine all over the world from southern and eastern Africa Spain Norway Sweden all across the western United states and the BC region could not be happier with a lightweight easy to deploy and use tent for 4 season use. I dont think you or anyone else for that matter would be disappointed with it. I'm 6'1 and have plenty of room in it and my wife and I have both slept in it comfortably I've also slept me and two over 100lb dogs in it without feeling cramped.

Desert = full sewn-in floor

Too may critters, from 8 legs to legless, can find their way into the floor-less tent and potentially leave you pinned in your nest or worse.

Wildhorse

Lil-Rokslider
Did I mention they also have a full waterproof bathtub style floor which keeps you dry even if you end up with a bit of running water around it