Backpack Training

OP
westonhoma

westonhoma

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been wearing my pack frame and a weight plate on the stair climber at the gym. Hands free. I really like the workout, but your method works muscles used going downhill as well. I like that. The pack gets some strange looks from people at the gym. Caught a few people taking photos. It’s also brought up some good conversations with people who instantly realize I’m training for a hunt.
Lol I have taken mine into an Anytime Fitness before for the stair climber too. Love it when people look at me funny

OP
westonhoma

westonhoma

Lil-Rokslider
I even get that look on our single track trails around town here; what the heck is that guy carrying that big pack for?

Occasionally I'll get someone say "training for a hunt?" :)
Awesome conversation starter lol

I even get that look on our single track trails around town here; what the heck is that guy carrying that big pack for?

Occasionally I'll get someone say "training for a hunt?" :)

Just last weekend I had a mtn biker look at me puzzled as I got my pack together and laced up my boots. He finally came over and asked if I was training for a hunt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nine Banger

Lil-Rokslider
Shoot2HuntU
This is what I did for last 2 western hunts:

As soon as I get a tag:
- Exo k4
- crib panel
- 40lbs of rocks in a bag made for this purpose
- 2 full nalgenes
- 1-2 miles a night after the kids go to bed

1 month before the hunt:
- swap out crib panel for 2200 or 3600 bag depending on type of hunt
- put the rocks in the load panel between the bag and the frame
- continue 2 miles each night but I start moving tripod, sticks, layers, etc into the bag and dumping rocks out to keep the weight but the point is to practice putting crap in and taking crap out of the bag so its muscle memory by the time I get on the hill

Nine Banger

Lil-Rokslider
Shoot2HuntU
Lol yeah funniest part too is we are back East so most people really dont know what the hell we are doing
Same...I live in coastal SC...when I'm training most folks ask questions like "will you be glassing"...or "what the hell is going on here"

Lol yeah funniest part too is we are back East so most people really dont know what the hell we are doing

O yea it’s great the looks you get from ppl that can’t fathom the idea of going across the country to hunt I get a lot of you know you can deer hunt here right?

OP
westonhoma

westonhoma

Lil-Rokslider
O yea it’s great the looks you get from ppl that can’t fathom the idea of going across the country to hunt I get a lot of you know you can deer hunt here right?

Lol unfortunately my PA whitetails dont live at 10k feet in beautiful mountains and dont have 300" of bone sticking out of their heads. So the 26 hour drive is worth it yes

KMW831

FNG
I've used and tweaked a few of the free workouts found here. It's worth checking out;

I stay pretty active year round, so for me, it's really about just getting the feet and joints /spine used to load bearing, as the GPP /fitness is there already. That's why I rotated in the above workouts with weight vest/loaded back pack and progressive loading. Seems to be working.

Beyond that, as far as my general fitness, it starts with hobbies :) I mountain bike and dirt bike a lot year round. Still get to the MMA gym for kick boxing or grappling once a week. Point being I try to do things I enjoy as a means to keep in shape, as it keeps burnout low and the variation helps with general athleticism (which I've found is the first thing to decline in my 40's). I build and maintain a lot of MTB trails in my area too so lots of hiking carrying water, picks, sledges etc which helps. Anyway, I think it's important to have other athletics hobbies in the "off season".

Most of my structured workouts (I resistance train 2-3x a week) are built off the following template; multi joint BB lifts with a Wendler 5/3/1, 5x5, strong lifts etc base, then lots of calisthenics because I like pullups, dips, pushups, lunges, plyos, rings etc. I run once a week 2-3 miles but that's about it because I don't like running, but the movement pattern is important. If I miss a day on the mountain bike or moto, I'm on my concept 2 row machine for 30-45 minutes after the kids are in bed.

Last edited:

Robobiss

FNG
Easy one for me is to just throw a bag of heating pellets (40lbs) in. If I am feeling really sassy and self loathing I’ll put two in.

Lol unfortunately my PA whitetails dont live at 10k feet in beautiful mountains and dont have 300" of bone sticking out of their heads. So the 26 hour drive is worth it yes

Shoot I’m not even sure I care much about the rack as much as the mountains. That and whitetail don’t yell back at me I love to rifle hunt elk but something about chasing them with a bow and bugle tube

OP
westonhoma

westonhoma

Lil-Rokslider
Shoot I’m not even sure I care much about the rack as much as the mountains. That and whitetail don’t yell back at me I love to rifle hunt elk but something about chasing them with a bow and bugle tube

Cant argue with that!!

OP
westonhoma

westonhoma

Lil-Rokslider
I've used and tweaked a few of the free workouts found here. It's worth checking out;

I stay pretty active year round, so for me, it's really about just getting the feet and joints /spine used to load bearing, as the GPP /fitness is there already. That's why I rotated in the above workouts with weight vest/loaded back pack and progressive loading. Seems to be working.

Beyond that, as far as my general fitness, it starts with hobbies :) I mountain bike and dirt bike a lot year round. Still get to the MMA gym for kick boxing or grappling once a week. Point being I try to do things I enjoy as a means to keep in shape, as it keeps burnout low and the variation helps with general athleticism (which I've found is the first thing to decline in my 40's). I build and maintain a lot of MTB trails in my area too so lots of hiking carrying water, picks, sledges etc which helps. Anyway, I think it's important to have other athletics hobbies in the "off season".

Most of my structured workouts (I resistance train 2-3x a week) are built off the following template; multi joint BB lifts with a Wendler 5/3/1, 5x5, strong lifts etc base, then lots of calisthenics because I like pullups, dips, pushups, lunges, plyos, rings etc. I run once a week 2-3 miles but that's about it because I don't like running, but the movement pattern is important. If I miss a day on the mountain bike or moto, I'm on my concept 2 row machine for 30-45 minutes after the kids are in bed.
Good stuff man!! Abd ill be sure to check out those programs too. At the very least.. its always nice to have some sort of program/plan wrote out. So when you got those days where its just a mental grind to put ur workout clothes on.. at least the brain power is taken out cuz the plan is already laid out, you know?

KMW831

FNG
Good stuff man!! Abd ill be sure to check out those programs too. At the very least.. its always nice to have some sort of program/plan wrote out. So when you got those days where its just a mental grind to put ur workout clothes on.. at least the brain power is taken out cuz the plan is already laid out, you know?
Absolutely. Having to plan or decide what your workout is every time is going to make you that much less likely to do it if you're already demotivated.

I use the "fit notes" app to track workouts. I pre-plan each individual workout in there at the start of every 4-6 week cycle. And then I add some alternate workouts in from sources like the one I linked above that I can select if I need to shape things up for motivation. Helps me stay on track!

EvanG17

Lil-Rokslider
I’m 31 and I run around 55lbs in my SG talus 6900 for the most part of my training. Train around 200-250 miles before a hunt