Socks - Lorpen $20 for two pair on camofire
Headlamp - zebra light $60
First aid kit - $20
Boxers - $60 for a pair of core4 on camofire
Pants - Kryptek Valhailla $50 on sale
Top - Kryptek $50 on sale
Puffy - Patagonia nano $75 on sale
Rain jacket - OR foray few years old model on sale $60

I'm sure I left stuff out but my total currently is around $1300 with quick math. I would forget quality optics and get those another year. Now I could easily get this list below $1000 with a few changes but I feel this is all gear I could trust since I have used it all.

Floorguy

WKR
Pack- Used REI XT85 $150
Tent- Used mountain LT $80
Boots- STP deal on multiple name brands for around $130
Bag - EE quilt 20* $205
Stove - used pocket rocket with aluminum pot $50
Pad - foam $30
Game bags - tag bomb bags $50
Knife - havalon and free RMEF fixed blade buck knife $40
Base layers - clearance FL tops and bottoms $110
Socks - Lorpen $20 for two pair on camofire
Headlamp - zebra light $60
First aid kit - $20
Boxers - $60 for a pair of core4 on camofire
Pants - Kryptek Valhailla $50 on sale
Top - Kryptek $50 on sale
Puffy - Patagonia nano $75 on sale
Rain jacket - OR foray few years old model on sale $60

I'm sure I left stuff out but my total currently is around $1300 with quick math. I would forget quality optics and get those another year. Now I could easily get this list below $1000 with a few changes but I feel this is all gear I could trust since I have used it all.

where did you find those sale prices

Go to any big or small gun show the prices will amaze you.

Alaska gun show prices will really amaze you but not in the way I think you are referring to.

dotman

WKR
Easy, coupons and classified ads plus not being in a rush. You can find great deals on last years gear but even better on the prior year just have to search it out. Have to be willing to miss a good deal hoping for a better. Some are Black Friday sales like what Kryptek had last year.

Can't be afraid of used gear, new gear that is a few years old and not having all the perfect colors that match. A few years ago a online vendor had tons of first lite leftover and the new stuff was out, I picked up the complete line minus the pants for less then $200. All still going strong and sold a few items I hardly used.

Last edited:

marc

Lil-Rokslider
You also need to look at where you will be hunting and your own needs. I spend a lot of time in the mountains climbing and hiking and I hunt in trail running shoes with gaiters until the snow starts flying. I get them at REI garage sales and never pay more than $25 for gortex shoes. Also don't overlook regular packs from Osprey, they can be bought cheap (again at REI garage sales) and will do the job until you have the cash for a bigger pack. I picked up an Osprey for $35 that was in perfect shape.

If you get a few things like that super cheap then buy what you really want for the rest of your system. Buy that stuff once and you wont feel bad having to replace a pack you bought for $35 that you can continue to use or sell in 2 minutes for what you paid.