Bacon Grease

cnelk

WKR
Bacon Grease

I have chickens and of course you gotta have bacon with fresh eggs.

For those that eat bacon, what do you do with the grease?

Render it? Have any use for it?

clarito

FNG
I save it in a coffee can and dump it on the dogs food once in a while to spoil them.
This is what I do. I keep it in the freezer and also use it to make cornbread, bait for mousetraps, general purpose cooking grease if I want that flavor etc.

TaperPin

WKR
A little off the topic, but a little old lady who lived in her house since 1940 with her family, then sister once pops died, cooks bacon every day and rinses it down the drain. When we were remodeling the place, a big Y in her drain where the kitchen joins the bathroom waste line had to be replaced - elbows are famous for getting crud built up so it was the perfect example of what bacon grease does down the drain.

Nothing.

In 60 years of rinsing bacon grease every day, the pipes looked clean. lol

I keep it in Mason jars to use for cooking and I've even used a big glob of it to help start a fire lol.

Put a piece of cheese cloth under the ring without lid to filter all the little pieces out.
Grease/fat/tallow alone won't spoil or go bad.
You can save a jar practically forever like that, especially if you actually want to can it.

Put a napkin or paper towel on mouth of a pint mason jar, filer out the meat, cap it and put it in the fridge.

We use it for lots of things but probably most often adding it to deer burger when making tacos and such. Sometimes we cook a few pounds just to get the grease.

clarito

FNG
A little off the topic, but a little old lady who lived in her house since 1940 with her family, then sister once pops died, cooks bacon every day and rinses it down the drain. When we were remodeling the place, a big Y in her drain where the kitchen joins the bathroom waste line had to be replaced - elbows are famous for getting crud built up so it was the perfect example of what bacon grease does down the drain.

Nothing.

In 60 years of rinsing bacon grease every day, the pipes looked clean. lol

That's hilarious

Tahoe1305

WKR
We save it in the freezer. When it’s time to grind up venison for burgers we add a few scoops. Taste yummy.

I save it in a coffee can and dump it on the dogs food once in a while to spoil them.
Used to do this regularly for a black lab I once had that was always skinny and had trouble gaining weight. My new black lab would become a pork chop if I gave him regular bacon grease but it is an occasional treat over his food.

If you put a few tablespoons in the bottom of the pot when you saute onions for green chile or stews it takes it to the next level.

I pour it through a tea strainer or paper towel into a canning jar and save it in the fridge to grease skillets and saute/pan-fry veggies.

Fordguy

WKR
The old timers at a standardbred farm where I worked as a kid always kept a jar of bacon grease on hand to dress hobble burns on the horses. They healed and calloused surprisingly fast.

flathead#2

Lil-Rokslider
coat a cast iron pan with it before making cornbread.
use it cooking dried beans.
and of course, cook the eggs in it.