Bad Elk Callers in the Woods

cnelk

WKR
Man, I heard some real horsesh!t elk callers in the woods this past week.

I mean they were TERRIBLE. [And yes, it was hunters not elk]
They moved the elk out of the area!

I really wanted to go talk to them, but we just went and found the elk again.

Should a person approach another hunter and take their bugle tube away?? lol

SteveinMN

FNG
Last year I was hiking past an area that was barren of sign and heard a bugle from a few hundred yards over. Sounded odd, but was enough to make me stop and listen. About 5 seconds later there was a lost calf call, followed immediately by a cow call. I figured that there was either a bull, a lost calf, and a horny cow all in the same spot or that it was a hunter with a bugle and the hoochi mamma 2-pack. Sometimes even if the calling is decent enough, the type and timing really make a difference.

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
^^^ I’m not talking about ‘decent enough’.

Im talking about a guy from Tennessee that was just awful.

TSAMP

WKR
I wouldn't bother unless you already have a conversation going with them and can sneak it in. Odds are they will chalk it up as your jealous or just want that area to yourself. People are weird, they won't look inward for an issue.

Laramie

WKR
20 years ago we were hunting and heard the worst hunter bugle any of us had heard. It was just bad and was almost constant for 30 minutes. We had to walk by the "guy" to get back to our truck. Turned out to be a spike with a single cow he was trying to serenade.

Jaquomo

WKR
I have asked, "What is that sound you're making? I've been bowhunting elk for 47 years and never heard that. Where did you learn it?" Usually results in a sheepish response like, "Yeah, I'm not very good." Last year in WY I asked a couple guys why they were offering up serious challenge bugles from where they parked in the dark to start hunting, instead of a benign locator bugle. I went on my way, the other direction. Later they stopped by my camp and asked what the difference was, offered me a beer, and I had the opportunity to give them a little calling clinic. We became friends after that and they mostly quit with the random aggressive bugles that were pushing bulls out of the area.

Yea the calling that people do is mind blowing. I wish people would just not call and spook/educate the elk

one yea I was waiting for a bull to come down a hill. I heard and atv driving behind me (in an area that motorized vehicles should not be.). I heard the atv shut off and then the guy proceeded to bugle non stop about 20 times in a row

the bull I was hunting got quiet. The atv eventually left and I killed the bull

JPD350

WKR
Yea that's what we need in the elk woods, people that think so highly of themselves confronting others that may not be as good a caller as them, wtf! anybody that considers this needs to think twice, I am glad cnelk did not do this and I hope no one else does as a result of this thread. I am not a bad caller or an unfriendly person but if someone confronted me for a stupid reason it would not be a good thing for them, just leave me the F alone and don't come into my zone unless you are of friendly respectful mindset, bullshit is not tolerated and there will be no sheepish response.

Do I like bad callers out in the woods, hunters that place camps in stupid locations, road hunters or hunters with bad ethics and morals? nope but better and smarter than thou confrontation is not a good thing

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
i have made them follow me around the woods 🤣then escape silently
One evening, dark was approaching and I heard three cow calls followed by that unmistakable Primos bugle.....then all repeated in sequence over and over. I could tell they were set up on a fenceline and most likely hiked in from below. So I slipped in to about 100 yards through the thick stuff and let out a screaming lip bawl, then took off towards my truck (the opposite direction). I'd keep them interested and they'd keep coming. I watched them as they came over a rise as they stopped and literally bugled 30 times in a row. I shut up and just left at that point.

When I took my daughter hunting, she tried to make me go and apologize to a couple guys that chased us all over the place. I finally told her "look, do you want me to ruin it for them, or let them sit back in camp talking about the one that got away".

ridgefire

WKR
I'm all about minding my own business and letting others mind theirs. I once bumped into a guy one time that had such a funny/awful sounding bugle it made me chuckle the first time I heard it. The bull he was bugling to loved it though. It would respond to his bugle but not mine or my brothers bugle.