bag options for backcourt oct elk hunt

Retterath

WKR
So I have a Kelty ignite dri down bag 0deg 600 goose down fill bag that I have used and froze my ass off in it in 20deg temps but had a very cheap pad. Last year I took my -20deg wiggy bag into the backcountry cause I wanted to stay warm. Also had a Klymit insulated static v pad rated at 4.4 R-value. It worked but bag was huge for bulk. I drew a Wyoming elk tag this year and will be heading in 7 miles with llamas but want to keep the weight down cause will need the room when packing out the elk. So my question is what bags and pads are you guys using for a Oct 1 through mid oct hunt? Also what do you sleep in when in your bag? Do you sleep with layered clothes if its cold or do you sleep in underwear and tshirt? It seemed like I was warmer when I slept with less clothes on. Im a cold sleeper. Do you feel with my Kelty 0deg bag I would be fine with that klymit insulated pad? Thanks for the input

sneaky

"DADDY"
Only way to answer on the Kelty is to sleep out with that bag and Klymit pad when temps are teens or low 20s and find out now while you still have time to make changes. Plenty cold enough to do some cold gear testing right now lol.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Is a couple of pounds on a llama really that big a deal? I ask this out of shear ignorance as I assume when you say “with llamas” it means they will be carrying the bulk of the equipment and/or elk meat. So if I had a pack animal or two helping me, I would think more toward comfort with what you have than worrying about a couple pounds

OP
Retterath

Retterath

WKR
Is a couple of pounds on a llama really that big a deal? I ask this out of shear ignorance as I assume when you say “with llamas” it means they will be carrying the bulk of the equipment and/or elk meat. So if I had a pack animal or two helping me, I would think more toward comfort with what you have than worrying about a couple pounds

yes llamas but I want to be able to carry all my gear in my bag on the way out cause hopefully the llamas will be full of elk and want to use it also just if backpacking and don't want a huge bulky bag. I'm sure the best thing is to buy a bag that is lighter weight and can be packed small but will cost and I have looked at the western mountaineer bags, but ouch

sneaky

"DADDY"
yes llamas but I want to be able to carry all my gear in my bag on the way out cause hopefully the llamas will be full of elk and want to use it also just if backpacking and don't want a huge bulky bag. I'm sure the best thing is to buy a bag that is lighter weight and can be packed small but will cost and I have looked at the western mountaineer bags, but ouch
Light
Cheap
Warm

You can pick 2. There's a reason why WM bags are spendy. They are an investment. Any quality lightweight bag that truly meets its warmth rating is gonna be $$$

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Or take take you current bag and a light quilt to cover. If you are only carrying your gear and not worrying about meat, the extra couple pounds might be worth it if it keeps your hunts more comfortable and you get better sleep

Western Mountaineering bags are expensive, but that speaks to their quality. Looks to me like you've spent close to what one of their bags would cost with the two bags you mentioned in your original post. I agree with with what was previously said, test the Kelty out now while you have time to make adjustments. And good luck on your hunt!

Nemo Disco Bag.

Great for side sleeping, vents so you can use it to regulate temperatures. Get the 15 degree bag and you will like it for everything. Extremely comfortable, room to move around in it and it will keep you warm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Retterath

Retterath

WKR
First thing I’m getting is a thermarest xtherm mattress which should help a lot with a quality pad that has a high R-value rating. Gonna test out my kelty with the xtherm in the back yard and if I get cold I will get a better bag and probably will spend the money. Thanks for the replies guys