Ballistic Calculators Discrepancies?

TxLite

WKR
Pretty much all barrels have right hand twists. The Brits used to make barrels with left hand twist as they thought the left hand twist would compensate for a right handed shooters tendency to pull to the right.
I thought think bartlein still made a LH twist? For some reason I feel like the LH twist was gaining some ground a while back then kind of disappeared. Might have dreamt it

def90

WKR
I thought think bartlein still made a LH twist? For some reason I feel like the LH twist was gaining some ground a while back then kind of disappeared. Might have dreamt it
Looked at their website, can't find anything that says what twist direction any of their barrels are. I'm sure that some boutique barrel manufacturer somewhere is making them but it is not a widespread practice in any way.

Kurts86

WKR
My experience is that most all ballistic apps will agree to 600 yards or so and then I can expect variation of a few percent in the firing solution once you get out to 1000 yards.

I would say the difference is how often they are adjusting the G1/G7 models and just where all the inputs are located and pulled from in programs. There are also biases towards certain bullets with preloaded data and the validity of published BC’s.

Wrench

WKR
Imagine swimming upstream and downstream in a river....upstream you are climbing the water while downstream it's pushing you down.

Bullets react similarly in air with the added yaw factor.

Bluefish

WKR
On the 4dof podcast Hornady talked about how wind direction and spin interact. I believe it is different for different directions. I expect the data is correct in that they take it into account. Maybe just assume right hand twist as it’s most common.

sndmn11

WKR
Has anybody in this thread actually fired rounds at long range to confirm data or are we just bench racing ballistic calculators?

I have not in wind like my screen shots show.

600yds is the furthest the ranges I go to have. Past that has only been the two shots I've taken in the CBC.

I apologize for taking some of the conversation on a tangent.

id_jon

WKR
Do you think those numbers are correct then?
They're not. If you use the 4dof side of the app with bullets in their library, the changes are much less drastic, and line up with reality. The guideline that I have heard for aerodynamic jump, and so far as lined up with my experience, is .1mil per 9mph of full value wind.

Wrench

WKR
I
Has anybody in this thread actually fired rounds at long range to confirm data or are we just bench racing ballistic calculators?
I'm uploading a YouTube vid I shot yesterday at 1104yds. The dope works better than I do.

Wrench

WKR
Here's 2 short videos. One is the shot, the other shows the setup. I literally just tossed the rifle on a backpack and let it buck after pulling environmentals and dope.

Hunter53

FNG
While not super long range; I have targets out to 800 on the 80 acres we live on.
On multiple rifles I have found the apllied ballistics in my kestrel to be very accurate once I have tweaked the muzzle velocities to match the real world hits.
Once I have trued the kestrel the first time shooting a new rifle or load; it is spot on every time I go out to shoot.

Wrench

WKR
While not super long range; I have targets out to 800 on the 80 acres we live on.
On multiple rifles I have found the apllied ballistics in my kestrel to be very accurate once I have tweaked the muzzle velocities to match the real world hits.
Once I have trued the kestrel the first time shooting a new rifle or load; it is spot on every time I go out to shoot.
I shot pretty well before the kestrel....but it closed up the gap a bunch. Mine is paired to my leica binos and spits the solution back to me in the binos and the kestrel. I've learned not to argue with it.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
For some weird reason, the ballistic calculators im using all seem to have a kind of decent discrepancy on their calculations.

For pre-tense, im shooting a federal power-shok copper .308 150gr out of a 24" 1:10R twist remington 700.

I am using 3 Ballistic Calculators, MD Ballistics (Mobile), Hornady (Mobile), and Vortex (Web based).

You have an issue somewhere with inputs or something turned on in some of them and not others. All the ballistic apps are extremely close to each other as most are using the same system. If you have more than about .1 mil differences at sane ranges between them- something is off.