Ballistic Calculators Discrepancies?

Correct. DA is way simpler.
Dang DA isn't an option for zeroing weather on strelok? Any suggestions or just use most accurate temp, pressure from phone barometer and humidity when sighting in? the temp for my MV input is what the temp was when I ran my chrono?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Dang DA isn't an option for zeroing weather on strelok? Any suggestions or just use most accurate temp, pressure from phone barometer and humidity when sighting in? the temp for my MV input is what the temp was when I ran my chrono?

Environmental factors have no effect on 100 yard zeros. A 100 yard zero any where on earth is a 100 yard zero anywhere else on earth.

Environmental factors have no effect on 100 yard zeros. A 100 yard zero any where on earth is a 100 yard zero anywhere else on earth.
Ok ty (for alllll your insight) our range is closed for the foreeabke future so I took a trip to the high desert recently to shoot with a friend. I was able to sight in and get good zeros/ true out to 600 but it was at 3700 high desert vs where I usually shoot (sea level and Hawaii humidity) so I thought there might be some differences. Again appreciate all your knowledge

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Ok ty (for alllll your insight) our range is closed for the foreeabke future so I took a trip to the high desert recently to shoot with a friend. I was able to sight in and get good zeros/ true out to 600 but it was at 3700 high desert vs where I usually shoot (sea level and Hawaii humidity) so I thought there might be some differences. Again appreciate all your knowledge

No problem.

TX_Diver

WKR
Correct. DA is way simpler.

Is DA of value if my app doesn't have DA as an input (Ballistic AE and Hornady 4DOF)?

I like the simplicity of temp/elevation and a printed chart for a few different DAs. But it seems like it only helps if I have an app that has it as an option to input?

Unless I'm missing something.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Is DA of value if my app doesn't have DA as an input (Ballistic AE and Hornady 4DOF)?

I like the simplicity of temp/elevation and a printed chart for a few different DAs. But it seems like it only helps if I have an app that has it as an option to input?

Unless I'm missing something.

Correct. That is the #1 reason I do not use Hornady 4dof. DA is the way. Shooter by Kennedy app is absolutely worth the $9.99 it costs.

Correct. That is the #1 reason I do not use Hornady 4dof. DA is the way. Shooter by Kennedy app is absolutely worth the $9.99 it costs.

When you're back, a shooter tutorial thread would be great. I'm having a little bit of an issue with setup, specifically the "powder temp" option is showing 120 fps drop for a 6 degree drop.

BULLBLASTER

Lil-Rokslider
Powder temp is an optional feature that will adjust muzzle velocity based upon entered temp and current conditions. I dont personally use it and my shooter has matched my revic and real conditions to the ranges i typically shoot at (900-1100) IMG_2320.jpeg

ATL

FNG
Standard sea level pressure and temperature is 29.92” Hg, and 59* F. The standard lapse rate per 1000 ft. of elevation gain is approximately -1.0” Hg for pressure and -3.5*F for temperature.

If I do not have a weather meter providing actual atmospheric data, I do the following:

I am content with entering the attached chart at my actual elevation above sea level (standard pressure altitude), following the diagonal line to the actual temperature, and going straight across to read the DA. This is the DA I enter in the GeoBallistic app I use. With a normal barometric pressure range of say 29.70” Hg to 30.30” Hg ( not extreme high or low pressure) I am off the actual pressure altitude by less than 200-400 ft by entering the chart at standard pressure.

If you want to get more accurate you could use the “pressure altitude conversion factor” before entering the chart.

For example:

I am at an actual 8500’ elevation and it is 65*F. I simply enter the chart at 8500’ pressure altitude, stop at 65*F, follow straight to the left and read a DA of 10,600’.

If I know the barometric pressure is actually 30.20” Hg in the area (.28” above standard) and I want to be more accurate in my calculations, I use the conversion factor of -257’. Enter the chart at 8243’ (8500’ - 257’). Stop at 65*F, follow straight to the left and read a DA of 10,343’. I would find an accurate local barometric pressure by obtaining pressure from several surrounding airports.

Even for a 1000 yard shot, the app’ generates 7.2 MIL elevation required for both the estimated 10,600’ DA and the actual 10343’ DA.

Attachments

• IMG_0002.jpeg
    IMG_0002.jpeg
    228.9 KB · Views: 10