Barker- the crazy cow elk

bcnorth

FNG
Last years elk hunt was a bit frustrating but for a unique situation...
We named her Barker. She barked while we slept, she barked if you got up to take a leak, she barked if you were upwind, downwind, no wind. Barked mid-day up the mountain, we started thinking no way in hell thats us!! Actually scared the crap out of us one night right beside the tent while the herd was moving by too. After hearing the cows filter by mewing softly - me thinking ok.... were all good here.... then BARK!!! BARK!! and on for another 5 minutes or so.

The other elk would panic and run for a distance, some would join in the barking but then it would go quiet. I think they all knew she was a nutty Nancy and didnt take her seriously. Any other time cows have barked more than once in my experience - its gone quiet and elk are gone.

I caught of glimpse of Barker trying to get the attention of the herd bull, it sounded like a herd of elephants taking a bath so i ran toward the sound thinking it was the herd bull. But no, it was a very large cow with seemingly huge monobrow going bananas in a beaver pond, water flying everywhere. Next i hear a bugle right above her just inside the treeline and i prep for a possible shot...... then yep she suddenly stops splashing, looks toward me and BARK! BARK! and on and on and on for about 10 minutes. Elk panic and run, lost shot opportunity. This time though, fair enough, themals were switching and i think she caught a little wiff of hunter stank.

Why!? hypersensitive cow? more highly evolved senses? or just plain nuts? Why the elk were running for a bit and/or barking then just stopping and continuing on like normal? i think they knew.... she was crazy

How do i know it was the same cow? It was very distinct, very loud, echoed like no other bark, and rattled your bones. No other bark like it.

Anyone elk experience strange cows like this?

Scoot

WKR
Haha- there's one in every crowd! I've never seen anything quite like that. I've heard very distinct bugles and even some cows that consistently seemed to sound a "bit off", but never anything like that sweet gal you are describing. Sounds like she had a unique voice and a screw loose too!

Jaquomo

WKR
I had one follow me back to camp one night in the dark, barking all the way, then circled our campfire barking until after we went to bed. Like humans, some are loud and neurotic, some are very secretive, some run and run and run when spooked while others will hide.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Actually scared the crap out of us one night right beside the tent while the herd was moving by too.
A few years ago my buddy and I were in my wall tent next to the truck sleeping, and at 0300 a bull lets out a screaming bugle that probably blew slobber on my buddy's side of the tent. He shot off his cot and onto the ground probably still half asleep. Then we heard the herd moving past the tent. I've had elk fold my mirrors back on the truck during the night as they're moving around the camp site. So weird how they could care less about scent in the middle of the night.

If I came across your Barker, I'd probably just shoot her and take her home.

Quickly Bark back,
if they haven’t smelled you it’s sometimes calms them down.
Awakening a dead thread here!
I’ve blown back at doe whitetail when I know there’s more in the woods and it really confuses the hell out of the rest of em. They assume you’re a deer too if they don’t see you and look every other direction. Had one doe run right towards me and look back the way she came and I shot her within spitting distance. Never tried it on an elk tho.

Some cows are just neurotic, had one whiff me downwind near a pond and instead of running away she circled around the dense woods behind me and came around the front side just to get a good look before letting the world know I was there. She stuck around the woods with her calves barking for another two hours.