Barnes 308 168g ttsx issues

Doddse1

FNG
Hey everyone,

Was wondering if anyone here has had issues with this barnes round? I have had 5 light strikes in 2 boxes. Was originally planning on using this for a deer hunt, but now I’m not sure. Also I’m shooting a seekins havak ph2 so if anyone has had good luck with a certain factory round I would appreciate it. I know every gun is different in what it “likes” but maybe if someone has had good luck with something it can give me a starting point. Attached are photos of the ammo issue. It is the same lot as well.
122163e266e8bcc122be3d5f3c87abb3.jpg

134c2db5c98963c7da549bd2fb255904.jpg

af4e24f390881535ffd083187dd2e20e.jpg

39074884143c7e4f0bddd82851c0b397.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is the only ammunition I shoot in my older Browning A-Bolt. I have never had a light strike or misfire. It is extremely accurate in this rifle. You very well could have a bad batch but could be a chamber problem.

I shoot the same bullet weight but in a 30-06. Very accurate , 3/4" groups out of my Savage 116 30-06 Weather Warrior. Never had a misfire. Check your firing pin assembly for wear and/or accumulation of greasy crud (take it apart and check).

OP
Doddse1

Doddse1

FNG
That’s for the help guys. I’ll take it apart this week and see. It is a brand new seekins Havak PH2 and so I wasn’t expecting it to be the rifle. But I’ll check and get back with you guys

scfreeman66

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Havak PH1 .300wm
I shoot those in 180g and they have been nothing but perfect.
I would start by giving Seekins a call. They are overly helpful.

Sent from my moto g stylus 5G using Tapatalk

That’s for the help guys. I’ll take it apart this week and see. It is a brand new seekins Havak PH2 and so I wasn’t expecting it to be the rifle. But I’ll check and get back with you guys

Once you resolve the problem please come back and do a follow-up post telling us how the issue was resolved. Always looking to learn from fellow RS members. Thanks for sharing and good luck hunting.

OP
Doddse1

Doddse1

FNG
Once you resolve the problem please come back and do a follow-up post telling us how the issue was resolved. Always looking to learn from fellow RS members. Thanks for sharing and good luck hunting.

Will do. I’ll give them a call this week

Maybe a headspace issue where the round is too small and the firing pin is shoving the round forward.
I’d suggest measuring a fired case and comparing to the light strike cases, but I suspect a guy that had the tools for that would have already done so.

OP
Doddse1

Doddse1

FNG
I have reached out to Seekins and waiting for a reply. I’ll post on here as soon as I hear back the from them.

SDHNTR

WKR
I’m not surprised at all. We’d shoot a lot of that stuff here in CA. I’ve had a lot of QC issues with Barnes factory ammo. Typical Remington crap. I’ve had boxes where the seating depth varies by 1/8”. And I’ve even had rounds where the neck tension was so inconsistent, some rounds you could pinch the bullet with your fingers and easily spin it around in the case.

I’ve only had 2 ftf cases in my life and both were from Rem primers, which I’d imagine is what is used in Barnes ammo.

I like Barnes bullets but I try to avoid their factory ammo.

Broz

WKR
We had some issues with the PH2 doing the same thing. Call them and they will likely replace the lighter firing pin and offer a heavier firing pin spring.

OP
Doddse1

Doddse1

FNG
We had some issues with the PH2 doing the same thing. Call them and they will likely replace the lighter firing pin and offer a heavier firing pin spring.

Thanks I didn’t realize that. As soon as they get back with me I’ll relay here.

OP
Doddse1

Doddse1

FNG
Seekins got back with me and said if my rifle has shot other ammo companies without issue (which it has) then it’s likely the lot of ammo and to reach out to barnes and see what they say. I’ll be sticking with hornaday in the meantime

TheGDog

WKR
Only a sample size of 1 but it took down a modest maybe 140Lbs buck @40yds like Thor's Hammer hit his backend. The shot was a little high and back, but seems like the wound-channel or shockwave must have went just underneath the spinal column and took out his spinal connections to his rear legs. Had a 50-cent piece sized exit wound, and a 6" circle of bloodshot on the entry side. They've always been very accurate in my rifle. I just don't care for their recoil is all, and will be eventually changing over to 130gr TTSX for my uses.

I had light primer strikes with Barnes TTSX 150 grain ammo out of my Q Fix. 2 out of a box of 20. I wont be using that ammo out of that rifle.

OP
Doddse1

Doddse1

FNG
Bought some hornaday eldx 178 grains today. The rifle shot great and had really good groups. Zero issues.

Light primer strikes was a frequent havak issue in the past. Not sure if their new bolts are better.