Barrel too Hot?

Shot my 300 win mag today and the groups look strange. Gun has a 26” Brux #4 contour with about 60 rounds thru it.

Bottom right shots are 3 federal terminal ascent from a clean bore. Then starting at top left five, 5 shot groups with 190 VLDs at different powder charges from lowest to highest. Final group 3 more terminal ascent.

Shooting at 100 yards, about 80 degrees out. Waiting 4-5 minutes between each shot.

Do you guys think I didn’t let the barrel cool enough between shots? Any other thoughts or ideas?

Mainly would like to know if I need to change things up since I’ll be finding a load over the summer.

Attachments

• 4FF45C8D-C9FC-45F3-88F8-996415A3ACDF.jpeg
    4FF45C8D-C9FC-45F3-88F8-996415A3ACDF.jpeg
    359.1 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:

Fetty Wapiti

Lil-Rokslider
Heat isn't the big bad enemy people make it out to be. A weird group is usually the shooter, but I wouldn't worry about a group like that 1 bit

OP
B
The only thing I would take away from that is that is how you and your gun shoot that bullet/powder/seating depth combo.

If you're dead set on shooting that powder and bullet combo and want better accuracy you could make some significant changes in seating depth but if that doesn't work I wouldn't burn through a bunch of components thinking you are going to find something significantly different
Edit: Looked closer, are you talking about the lower left to upper right stringing?
Yes, each of the 5 groups does it. And also I would’ve expected them to climb some as powder charge went up but that never happened. Same with my before and after terminal ascent groups, which are zeroed at 200yds. Thanks

Yes, each of the 5 groups does it. And also I would’ve expected them to climb some as powder charge went up but that never happened. Same with my before and after terminal ascent groups, which are zeroed at 200yds. Thanks
Was there a consistent trend with earlier shots starting at one end of the spectrum and trending to the other or was it random?

Is the rifle bedded and free floated enough? Your POI didn’t change much through your handloads which is a good thing.
Did you chronograph them? I would probably retest shot group blue.
What grain increments are those loaded in?

OP
B
Is the rifle bedded and free floated enough? Your POI didn’t change much through your handloads which is a good thing.
Did you chronograph them? I would probably retest shot group blue.
What grain increments are those loaded in?
The gun was professionally bedded when I had the barrel changed out so that should be good. I did not chronograph them. Not sure of increments it was a load development pack from copper creek ammo. Thank you.

atmat

WKR
Waiting 4-5 minutes between each shot.
Are you really spending an hour of time to take just 12 shots?

I don’t think heat causes nearly the problem people say it does. And 4-5 minutes you should be heating up your barrel very little.

OP
B

I don’t think heat causes nearly the problem people say it does. And 4-5 minutes you should be heating up your barrel very little.
Yes about 3 hours today for 31 shots. Trying to take my time. What’s your process when testing a load at the range with your hunting rig?

This depends on the barrel and cartridge. My heavy 6.5CM HMR can hold a 10 round string no problem.

However after 3 rounds in 3 minutes my 300WM Tikka T3X super light is too hot to touch and groups open WAY UP.

Seeknelk

WKR
Yeah I'd say it sure shouldn't be heat. That's no pencil barrel. #4 is fairly heavy and brux is quality.
I'd not be afraid to try another powder or bullet. At least have another test set to try when you head out. Ooops forgot those aren't loaded by you.

atmat

WKR
Yes about 3 hours today for 31 shots. Trying to take my time. What’s your process when testing a load at the range with your hunting rig?
I don’t reload, so I don’t “test loads” in the same sense you’re referring to. But even when trying new ammo for a rifle I shoot at a much quicker rate than that.

atmat

WKR
However after 3 rounds in 3 minutes my 300WM Tikka T3X super light is too hot to touch and groups open WAY UP.
I’ve owned two Tikka T3x Lites and both could shoot 10 round groups just fine. Though I concede neither were magnum calibers. I’ve had several “pencil thin” barrel guns and all did just fine with heat.

I’ve owned two Tikka T3x Lites and both could shoot 10 round groups just fine. Though I concede neither were magnum calibers. I’ve had several “pencil thin” barrel guns and all did just fine with heat.

Just a couple examples from others experiencing similar problems with magnums and thin barrels. Heat doesn’t always matter much, but I’m just saying it could be an issue. Easy to test with patience.