Barrel too Hot?

Just a couple examples from others experiencing similar problems with magnums and thin barrels. Heat doesn’t always matter much, but I’m just saying it could be an issue. Easy to test with patience.
My T3 Lite 300 WSM doesn't walk when it gets hot, running 208 ELD M at 2980.

Far more likely that an optic or mount is the culprit.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

My optics mount is solid. Torque wrench and degrease everything. High end rings and scope tested on other rifles.

It’s the heat with that one rifle. Most likely due to the factory stock not being perfectly free floated. Cool down = return to sub moa. During the wait I keep shooting, other magnums included so not fatigue.

All I’m saying is that heat CAN affect accuracy and should not be so readily dismissed.

I think it’s fine but a component might need to change. Custom barrel and custom loaded ammo should easily shoot better.

Skeezer69

FNG
Seems like you’re giving it plenty of time to cool down. I wouldn’t think barrel heat is an issue in this case.

Had a Rem 700 BDL-MR .270 that after three shots it started throwing them all over the paper. Like went from a moa rifle to a 3-moa rifle.

Let it cool for 20 minutes and it would go back to moa for three shots then start going wild again.

This was 100% from heat and to be honest, I partially blame the style of bullets I was shooting.
I sold the gun.

EdP

WKR
I use an old fashioned egg timer - 3 minutes between shots, and have found it sufficient with a 1/2 dozen or more rifles. I do keep sun off the barrel during the wait.

Is it possible the sun was in and out while you were shooting? The different light effects can affect POI.

OP
B
I use an old fashioned egg timer - 3 minutes between shots, and have found it sufficient with a 1/2 dozen or more rifles. I do keep sun off the barrel during the wait.

Is it possible the sun was in and out while you were shooting? The different light effects can affect POI.
Thanks. It was under shade the whole time, but that does make sense.

The gun was professionally bedded when I had the barrel changed out so that should be good. I did not chronograph them. Not sure of increments it was a load development pack from copper creek ammo. Thank you.
Did you send the picture to copper creek? To be honest the groups aren’t terrible.
Also what scope and mount?

OP
B
Did you send the picture to copper creek? To be honest the groups aren’t terrible.
Also what scope and mount?
I’m gonna call them and see what their thoughts are and if this is typical. I agree not terrible, hopefully I can get a little better. It’s a leupold vx5 with seekins rings and rail

OP
B
Thanks for all the responses I appreciate it. Consensus seems to be barrel heat shouldn’t be an issue with the process I’m using. Although groups not terrible, could be better. Keep testing different bullet/powder combos and see what happens using same process for comparison sake.

I’m gonna call them and see what their thoughts are and if this is typical. I agree not terrible, hopefully I can get a little better. It’s a leupold vx5 with seekins rings and rail
I wouldn’t rule out that VX5 either. I had a like new VX5 that wouldn’t dial correctly and when I sent it in the list of things they fixed was half a page. I have since moved on from them.

Wrench

WKR
Is this for real?

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk
100% it's stainless. Stress is even vs dumping on one side....and a quick shot of air has it dry in no time. If you don't have a inflator..a bore snake works too. But expect some interesting responses.

JustMe7

FNG
Shot my 300 win mag today and the groups look strange. Gun has a 26” Brux #4 contour with about 60 rounds thru it.

Bottom right shots are 3 federal terminal ascent from a clean bore. Then starting at top left five, 5 shot groups with 190 VLDs at different powder charges from lowest to highest. Final group 3 more terminal ascent.

Shooting at 100 yards, about 80 degrees out. Waiting 4-5 minutes between each shot.

Do you guys think I didn’t let the barrel cool enough between shots? Any other thoughts or ideas?

Mainly would like to know if I need to change things up since I’ll be finding a load over the summer.
Heat can change POI. But with your barrel and the time between shots , you should not have any issues with over heating.
I’ve seen guys who would take those groups and never look back.
Depends on what you are satisfied with.
They look okay to me.

OP
B
Heat can change POI. But with your barrel and the time between shots , you should not have any issues with over heating.
I’ve seen guys who would take those groups and never look back.
Depends on what you are satisfied with.
They look okay to me.
Thank you I appreciate it. I’ll try some different powder/bullets using the same approach and will post update in a couple weeks.

JustMe7

FNG
I’ve owned two Tikka T3x Lites and both could shoot 10 round groups just fine. Though I concede neither were magnum calibers. I’ve had several “pencil thin” barrel guns and all did just fine with heat.
I’ve had some pencil barrel’s that would be changing poi by the 3rd shot.
A Ruger Hawkeye ultra lightweight, in 7mm-08, especially warm weather shooting 1-2-3 normal speed. By the 3rd round it was changing.
A savage axis 25/06, would put the first two in the same hole.
The 3rd would be off.. I tried this one several times and received the same results- not super flyers- but the last bullet would bust the group.
Both pencil barrels.