Barrett Fieldcraft - to thread or not to thread...

gtriple

WKR
I've just picked up a 21" 6.5CM Fieldcraft. It is a fantastic rifle, but I would like to run a suppressor. I kind of feel bad about cutting the current barrel down (to 18") and threading it. Thoughts?

Another option would be to get a custom barrel made and installed in 308 or 6.5CM with a belled end. Has anybody done this for their Fieldcraft before?

OP
gtriple

gtriple

WKR
I would get another barrel..keep the original and it will keep you from stacking adapters...
That's a good option. Might reach out to preferred and see if they can spin up a barrel.

I've got a couple of the TBAC 9/16 face-mount CB brakes already.

One other question... is there anything I'd have to do to change the caliber to a 308 other than the barrel?

Samson7x

WKR
That's a good option. Might reach out to preferred and see if they can spin up a barrel.

I've got a couple of the TBAC 9/16 face-mount CB brakes already.

One other question... is there anything I'd have to do to change the caliber to a 308 other than the barrel?

No, boltface is the same as 6.5c.

WRO

WKR
You can’t get barrels from the factory and the stock barrels don’t have enough meat to thread for a supressor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
gtriple

gtriple

WKR
You can’t get barrels from the factory and the stock barrels don’t have enough meat to thread for a supressor.

I think a 9/16x24 thread can be done with a face-mounted brake. The major diameter of 9/16 is 0.5605". At about 18", the barrel diameter is about 0.584". So it should work. I've reached out to TBAC and will follow up what they say.

OP
gtriple

gtriple

WKR
Some related questions...

In order to thread the barrel, I assume the stock will have to be removed... Will it have to be re-bedded?

Or if I get a barrel with the same profile, would that one have to be bedded?

Is removing the barrel on the Fieldcraft difficult? I'm getting a barrel vice for my Tikkas so I'll have that.

Get a Christensen FFT Ridgeline in 6.5 CM. 20 inch barrel and threaded 5/8-24

Better rifle in every way, and put an exclamation point on that for running a suppressor

OP
gtriple

gtriple

WKR
Get a Christensen FFT Ridgeline in 6.5 CM. 20 inch barrel and threaded 5/8-24

Better rifle in every way, and put an exclamation point on that for running a suppressor
I've got a Ridgeline in 300 PRC. And I'm building a Tikka 308 with a 16" carbon barrel.

OP
gtriple

gtriple

WKR

In order to thread the barrel, I assume the stock will have to be removed... Will it have to be re-bedded?

Is removing the barrel on the Fieldcraft difficult? I'm getting a barrel vice for my Tikkas so I'll have that.
Still wondering about this.

TBAC confirmed they could do a 9/16x24 thread with a face-mount brake cutting 2-3" off the barrel.

Removing the stock does not affect the bedding. Just retighten stock screws.

If you change barrels you would need to rebed.

Can’t advise on barrel removal but I’d let the gunsmith that rebeds the rifle stock do it.

GAHunterJim

Lil-Rokslider
Those Fieldcraft's are becoming collectable, I wouldn't alter it but I can understand your desire to suppress.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Those Fieldcraft's are becoming collectable, I wouldn't alter it but I can understand your desire to suppress.
I’m sure he could flip it down the road even if it was altered. Seems like way more people want to use silencers these days. I personally won’t buy any more guns that I have to get threaded, I just want to buy ones that are already set up for it.

GAHunterJim

Lil-Rokslider
I have bought five CA rifles in the past two years, I'd take a Barrett Fieldcraft any day over a CA. There's nothing wrong with the CAs but they are nothing special either, just a Rem 700 clone with some refinement and improvements.

OP
gtriple

gtriple

WKR
Better stock
Better bolt
Smoother action
Better accuracy
Better balanced rifle
Threaded 5/8-24
Appreciate the opinion, but I'm not looking to purchase another Christensen.

I do love my Ridgeline Ti in 300PRC. Shoots sub moa with factory Hornady ammo.

Just for the money, I've chosen to put a carbon fiber barrel on a Tikka action.