bars that taste good AND withstand heat

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I love KIND bars and they are my go to bar from September through May, but due to having chocolate in them- not a good choice June- August.

I have a two week trip through the Sierra's planned for this summer and need a replacement.

Thanks
Mike

wnelson14

WKR

Not sure how they would take the heat,
But I recently found these at Costco and for the size, weight, and taste they are great. The one flavor doesnt have chocolate so that would help

I usually make a trail mix instead of bars, in small zip locks.
Nuts, dehydrated fruits an M&Ms.
The M&Ms hold up way better than plain chocolate.

twall13

WKR
Not a bar specifically, but I'm a big fan of Honey Stinger Waffles. Vanilla, Honey, Strawberry (if you can find it), and short stack are all great.

I've also really been enjoying Bobo Bars over the last couple of years. The coconut flavor is probably my favorite but there are several good options.

Combine those with a trail mix with lots of nuts for protein and it's usually a great combo for me.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I happen to being to Costco today so I'll peek at the Keto Krisps- thanks

^^ trail mix might be a good option; years (decades actually) that's what I brought backpacking; our super market has bins and bins of different nuts/dried fruits and I think carob too- might do some experimentation :)

^ I tried honey stingers some years back when I was trail racing, can't even remember if I like them :D

I take it Bobo bars hold up to the heat pretty well?

jzeblaz

Lil-Rokslider
+1 for Bobo bars. Yeah, they take the heat as they are mainly oats. Some have chocolate and some don't. I favor the coconut version too and seem to have pretty high calorie/weight-size ratio. Cliff bars tend to do okay too, but I'd say they are less healthy if I had to guess, but cheaper than Bobo.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I rocked Cliff bars for awhile, but kind of got burned out on them- my wife now despises them :D

I'll have to get my hands on a few Bobo's and give them a try.

Northpark

WKR
Bars are tough in the heat. I really enjoy the Mtnops bars but they melt. I have found that stuffing them down in my pack during the day preferably wrapped in an extra t shirt or fleece or something does seem to help with the melting issue.

Bobos for sure, they have small bite bars and larger bars. Bob’s red mill bars are newer and good. Kate’s real food bars have some chocolate but not enough to get real messy. The cashew/blueberry and almond coconut KIND bars have no chocolate and hold up to heat well.

twall13

WKR
I take it Bobo bars hold up to the heat pretty well?
Yes, the Bobo bars hold up well in the heat. There are a few options with chocolate in them that might not do quite as well but otherwise I haven't had any problems with them in hot temperatures.

Last edited:
OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
good info guys-thanks! I never tried the non-chocolate KIND bars, will see k those out as well

^^ trail mix might be a good option; years (decades actually) that's what I brought backpacking; our super market has bins and bins of different nuts/dried fruits and I think carob too- might do some experimentation :)
The prepackaged supermarket offerings are where I start, but then adding stuff that's not always in it. Like walnuts, almonds. pistachios, cashews, sun flower seeds, pumpkin seeds, dried fruits, and always M&Ms.
A little different each time.

The thought is to get a variety, for balance of energy and nutrition. The Sugar from M&Ms is almost instant energy, but if that's all you ate, you'd crash an hour later. The dried fruits take a little longer to assimilate, and kick in before the sugar high runs out. Then comes on the energy from the nuts/seeds, it takes longer still to kick in, and lasts hours.

9.3koolaid

Lil-Rokslider
Here's another vote for Bobo bars but they're a little pricey. I've had good luck making very similar bars with this recipe and you can put whatever you want in them.

*zap*

WKR
the greenbelly meal replacement bars are not too bad.....dark choclate/peanut is the one I use most. Not sure about heat, I think heat effects most bars....and then there is the standard cliff energy bar, I always keep some of them handy in the vehicle.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I found the Keto Crisp at Costco this morning and grabbed a box

I found a Bobo bar variety pack on Amazon so will go those a go too

my trip is a about a month so, so have time :)

Ten Bears

WKR
I like these from Taos Bakes. They have a couple decent bars

and I'll second the Bobo's, good stuff. the Green Belly ones Zap mentions are basically a lunch.

been eyeballing the exo protein bars too

jolemons

WKR
Atlas is peanut butter based and fairly firm. I haven't tried in high heat, but they show promise.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

mlgc20

WKR
The only bars I can stand to eat are Kind bars and Greenbelly bars. The Greenbelly bars do great in the heat, with the exception of the chocolate-banana. My favorite is the spiced apple. I will being along some Justin's hazelnut butter to give the chocolate kick without the chocolate melting off the bar.