Bartlein Carbon Fiber wrapped barrels

OP
Oregonmuley
Campfire Guide

jennings lodge, oregon
So I finally made it to the range today with the new rifle. It was hot and pretty windy so not the best day for shooting - and even on the best day I suck at shooting groups
cry
But I know someone will ask how it shot so here are a couple groups. I only put about 20 rounds through it and this is how its shooting. I had a couple groups like the smaller one which was factory Nosler 120 grain Ballistic tip ammo. I also shot a few rounds of Hornady Precision hunter 150 grain which the rifle also shoots well, that group was mostly my fault it isn't better but still well under 1/2" for the 3 shots.

Its a fun rifle to shoot, really like the feel of the Proof stock, should be a nice rifle once I get a chance to put some more rounds down range but I think Shaen did a great job, anything lacking in how it shoots is the fault of the guy behind the trigger which is me
grin

414464115.jpg

414464116.jpg

khuber84

WKR
I put a 26" bartlein sendero carbon 8tw on my new 6.5 Sherman max, fireforming loads with something I just threw together 57gr H1000, 147eldm seated 15k off lands, shot several half inch groups at 100y with zero load development.IMG_20200825_183652.jpgIMG_20200825_183703.jpgIMG_20200825_183711.jpgIMG_20200827_190124.jpg

Ingo

Lil-Rokslider

khuber84

WKR
How’s the folder working for you?
I love it, locks up solid as a rock. Had to adjust it slightly, but it's 100% now. I have the same chassis on my 30 nosler without the folder as well. They feel no different. I will run a suppressor on the 6.5max but not on the nosler. That's why I went with the folder.

cjl2010

Lil-Rokslider
I love it, locks up solid as a rock. Had to adjust it slightly, but it's 100% now. I have the same chassis on my 30 nosler without the folder as well. They feel no different. I will run a suppressor on the 6.5max but not on the nosler. That's why I went with the folder.
Good to hear. Whaley is a peckerhead about them but I’ve never been around a folder before. Thanks.

khuber84

WKR
Good to hear. Whaley is a peckerhead about them but I’ve never been around a folder before. Thanks.
Yes Matt hates folders, but a little tuning and you're good to go. Now.....the mdt folder isn't the best.

Looks like you've got yourself a nice shooter there. Nice build I'm glad it all turned out well for you. I'm wanting to do a build very similar to yours just in a 300 win mag with 26" barrel.

My experience with one is that it shoots really good but we pulled fibers off taking masking tape off the barrel. So the durability of the carbon fiber wrap is concerning.

OP
Oregonmuley
My experience with one is that it shoots really good but we pulled fibers off taking masking tape off the barrel. So the durability of the carbon fiber wrap is concerning.

Interesting - have you contacted Bartlein to ask them about it? I haven't noticed anything like that on mine and know 2 others that have the new CF wrapped Bart's and nobody has mentioned anything like that happening.

khuber84

WKR
Yeah I've had 4 in my hands so far, and none have flaked on the fiber. That's odd, someone at bartlein should make it right with you.

Interesting - have you contacted Bartlein to ask them about it? I haven't noticed anything like that on mine and know 2 others that have the new CF wrapped Bart's and nobody has mentioned anything like that happening.
No I haven’t called Bartlein. So we put masking tape on the barrel as a precaution to help protect it from being scraped or dinged sliding it into the lathe when we were machining it. After that is when we pulled the tape off and it pulled up fibers in two places. It didn’t look bad enough to offset the time and effort it would take to replace it so I chalked it up as a lesson learned. It shoots great though.