Base camp wood stove, whatcha running?

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
another vote on the dog stoves they are heavy duty ...I run a little 8x10x5 montana canvas tent with relite walls. all I can say is it sleeps well and I get run out with the stove and it celebrates well also:) burn time about 5 hours on this little unit.

Attachments

• P1012274.jpg
    P1012274.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 59
  • DSCN1245.jpg
    DSCN1245.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 60
  • P1011058.jpg
    P1011058.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 61

Whisky

WKR
Another happy Four Dog customer.

We used my buddys Davis Tent stove a couple years and got sick of it burning out in the night. We are heating a 14x16 Davis tent. Last year I bought the Four Dog and it puts out heat all night, and goes into the morning also. The deflector in there must really help the burn time. The Davis stove is faster to light, and the little bigger door is nicer on it. But in the end, not waking up freezing at 3am to toss logs on wins hands down.

fishslap

WKR
I use pine and aspen because that's what's available. I'm guessing burn time is only 3hrs give or take with the Davis stove after I stoke it up and shut it down. I believe it would take 2-3 refills during the night.

DaveS

Lil-Rokslider
I use the Colorado Cylinder Alpine Stove in my wall tent. It has the heated water tank and accessories with it.

But for archery I just use a tank top 2-burner propane heater in the mornings just to warm things up a bit.

I used to use a big box wood stove but now I use a 2-burner propane heater as well. It is so convenient. It puts out a lot of heat and does it quickly (no waiting for the wood to catch fire). It's easier to pack and setup as well.

MOHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I run the 4 Dog in a Davis 14x16. No complaints at all with the setup. However, I cannot get an all-night burn with pine.
Last fall we had snow almost every evening with lows in the teens and 20s. Good hot burn before bed, load as full as possible and damper down right before crawling in, and we'd get to about 2-3am from a start of 9-10pm. It wasn't out, but had just enough coals to fire back up when reloaded.
The propane heaters are quicker warmth. I find the stove nice for double duty cooking. And nothing beats it for fighting condensation and drying clothes.

CAhunter

Lil-Rokslider
We have one of the Summit series stoves from Davis tents. I think it is the ridge, which is the middle size. Last year at best I could only get around 3 hours burn time total with dry split pine pine. This was dampening the stove way down and closing the vents an equal amount. It was extremely frustrating. When I purchased it they said I'd have to get up once at night to stoke the fire and that would be it. If I could do it over I'd buy a four dog

OP
G

Ghost

Lil-Rokslider
The 30 gallon barrel stove had to be fed once a night, usually some one is getting up for natures call and fills the wood stove.

Thanks for the info gentlemen, I think Ill stick with my original plan and build one out of a 30 gallon steel drum. As much as I would use it, Ill probably get 6 plus years out of the barrel before I have to replace it. I will put gaskets around the door, should give me even more time between fuelings.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I used to use a big box wood stove but now I use a 2-burner propane heater as well. It is so convenient. It puts out a lot of heat and does it quickly (no waiting for the wood to catch fire). It's easier to pack and setup as well.

Ya, a wood stove doesn't make any sense for me for archery because it generally doesn't get that cold, and when I get back to camp well after dark it's already bedtime. Then up in the morning, have my coffee, and I'm out the door. No need for full time heat. But those later rifle seasons after the time change and the sun going down at 4:30pm leaves a heck of a lot of time in camp even before going to bed. Add in sub-zero temps, and a stove becomes more of a necessity.

With my Davis stove I do only have to stoke it once during the night. In bed after 10pm and up by 0400 is only 6 hours. Stoke it around 0100 and we're golden. But I generally will take a bag of coal as well.

ChrisA

WKR
Are you guys using anthracite or bituminous coal? I've got the big Davis stove and need to reload it 1-2 times at night using popple. Brought both bituminous and antracite a couple years ago, both have there advantages and disadvantages.

Chris