Base Layer..... Merino bs Synthetics

Randle

WKR
I am going to try merino base with a sitka core t shirt over ot this year . hope the synthetic will pull the moisture out of the merino and away from skin. Any thoughts on that?

Waggy

FNG
You are

You are correct I think (no personal experience with comparing). According to John Barklow the Sitka big game line manager, which I referenceD earlier because I have listened to him on several podcast and he explains merino vs synthetic better than anything I’ve heard.

The good synthetics move the moisture away from your skin so fast that you can feel slightly cool/cold for a short period of time do to an evaporative type cooling process but it only last a short period of time. You can help negate those effects by adding a puffy as soon as you stop.

With merino you will stay warmer when you sweat but you will stay wet for much longer. So if you don’t mind being wet/damp then go merino but you can stay just as warm with the synthetics.

You can also add a synthetic over the merino which will help pull the moisture from the merino to the outer layers some.

Personally, as of now I have all merino base layers but they are just next to skin and very light, I add synthetic on top if needed . I am looking at trying synthetics as next to skin/base layer but haven’t yet.

Wouldn't the Merino base/Synthetic over be the same type of idea as layering a synthetic quilt over a down sleeping bag? Using the properties of each material to achieve the best outcome?

I use a merino base then put a Kryptek Valhalla shirt or a Cronos sweat shirt over top or both if need be. So merino with synthetic over top.