September Base Layer Recommendations

BKhunter

WKR
Hey All,

So I am heading to Montana 9/9-9/17 for an Elk hunt. I generally run hot but am still packing all my necessary layers, pants, long/short T's, vest, hoody, puffy, and rain gear. Was curious if I should also pack a base layer for moisture control and if so what is everyone recommending. I generally wear thick merino wool when white tail stand hunting so am trying to to over heat to much. TIA.

BK

bozeman

WKR
I am still a fan of the Sitka 'core' bottoms and lt weight hoody.......I dont leave home w/out them in the month of Sept..... pack down small, very versatile.

Austink47

WKR
Have not spent a lot of time in MT but, in September I am always taking a core light weight hoody. When it is hot is great for keeping the sun off of you. If it is cool it is a good foundation to layer over. Good luck.

*zap*

WKR
I think anytime the temps may be milder and/or you may be very active and then stationary the kuiu zip off bottoms may offer alot of versatility. Kuiu 97 hoodie is something I use in many different temps.

NEPkaspot

Lil-Rokslider
I don't have a ton of western experience so I am folloing this thread also. I'm a Sitka core guy also, mostly hoody. I use the bottoms once on a while but not as regularly. I am interested also if there is something better. Have never tried merino for active hunts, maybe I'm missing out.

ForlohFamily

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey All,

So I am heading to Montana 9/9-9/17 for an Elk hunt. I generally run hot but am still packing all my necessary layers, pants, long/short T's, vest, hoody, puffy, and rain gear. Was curious if I should also pack a base layer for moisture control and if so what is everyone recommending. I generally wear thick merino wool when white tail stand hunting so am trying to to over heat to much. TIA.

BK
We are a Montana based company, 100% sourced and made in America. Check out our base layer.

The most technically advanced cold weather base layer on the market, featuring FORLOH’s flagship warming technology Trizar™, a NASA Certified Space Technology woven in every fiber of this shirt. Trizar™ technology is optimized to capture and re-radiate your body heat, keeping your core body temperature 2.0F warmer. It diffuses moisture caused by sweat to keep the wearer dry and comfortable.

This crew long sleeve top combines the best scent control technologies available today, to provide the most comprehensive odor protection in the hunting market, through an exclusive combination of Polygiene® Odor Crunch + Stays Fresh, these technologies tackle odors caused by bacteria coming off the body while simultaneously eliminating outside scents, helping eliminate detection caused by odor. For these reasons it is the ideal ‘next-to-skin’ base layer for multi-day hunting trips in the backcountry.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Any brands you prefer? Looking for something durable.
Merino and durable don't really belong in the same sentence, especially when you go lightweight. However, most of the time I wear merino under my camo outer layer, with sometimes one of my ultralite microfleece mock-T's between the two. That works pretty well. But they'll still develop holes over time. As an outer layer, forget it.....they will get shredded.

As for brands, I've had a lot of them. I stick with solid colors and have several short and LS shirts that are Cabela's or Cabela's/Icebreaker branded. I cleaned up when Cabela's put those Icebreaker ones on clearance a few years back, for $17/shirt, and they're probably the softest 100% merino shirts I've worn. But I also have a Red Ram shirt, and a couple from Minus 33. Fit is a little different between them all, but they all work fine. I've also had KUIU and First Lite. The KUIU smell like a wet sheep when they get wet, way beyond what any of my others have ever smelled. First time I washed them, I thought the sewer backed up into the washer they were so bad.

First Lite was fine, but too expensive IMO......and the last time I bought them, the shirts were only $35.......so that's been awhile. I like Minus 33 but only because they make bottoms in a Tall that actually fit me. I go through bottoms the quickest......my legs are always brushing up against stuff and pants still can't protect from all that.

As for weights......anything under 190gm weight I would consider lightweight. I've seen 125's and those are super thin. I would want a blend with something synthetic at that weight, rather than 100% merino.

BDRam16

WKR
I must be the only guy who doesn't like the Sitka Core (non-merino) line. I have the core lightweight and I notice my smell a lot faster than in merino. I wore a FL wick LS last season with a Kiln hoodie over it when I needed to. This season I think I'm going to do the wick hoodie and leave the Kiln in the truck. If it runs a bit cold I'll flip flop those two. I won't wear anything next to skin that isn't merino anymore.

Honyock

WKR
Kuiu Ultra Merino LT or Ultra Merino 145 would be my choice. I can wear it for days and it doesn't get gamey. I have the Core Lightweight hoodies and like them but not for multiple days.