BaseMap App Review for 2020, By Jim Carr

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Basemap-1-Copy.jpg

I don't know a better person to talk about the features of a mapping app than Jim Carr. He is always on the move and I'm pretty sure he even mentally scouts while he's sleeping. For years, Jim has used onX and Google Earth with good results. In this review, he talks about how BaseMap has worked for him.

BaseMap App Review for 2020

Praxeus

Lil-Rokslider
Jim, Another great article from you. I have both onX hunt and basemap. Some things I like about either of these. If you had to narrow it down to one app, what would your choice be?

Thanks----RM

68Plexi

WKR
Thanks for the write up! These apps are getting better every year and have made the areas I scout a lot more focused. I currently use OnX and google earth (at home) and they have been good. If any of these apps could figure out how to create a 3d google earth layer for the offline mode I'd be ecstatic! The areas I hunt rarely have cell service so offline maps are what I'm forced to use most of the time.

Jim Carr

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jim, Another great article from you. I have both onX hunt and basemap. Some things I like about either of these. If you had to narrow it down to one app, what would your choice be?

Thanks----RM
Honestly It was a hard sell to get me to pick Basemap over onX as I have used onX for so long and think it is a great app. But the more I use Basemap the more I like it. Id pick Basemap at this point. I Think if you have iphone the choice is real easy Basemap. With that being said I still look forward to using it throughout my scouting season and will see how it holds up in different situations I will be running them side by side.

Danimal

Lil-Rokslider
I started with both of them several years ago and just kind of gravitated to ONx due to its early intuitiveness, I really want some Hi-Res though. Might have to run both and just force myself to get better with basemap.

Hort

FNG
Great review Jim! I have only used HuntStand, the free version. But have been thinking of upgrading to HuntStand Pro. I have times that I do not have cell phone coverage in my hunting areas and think it will be helpful to download the area map before going afield. OnX seems a bit too pricey for me. How would you compare Basemap to HuntStand Pro? They are about the same price and have some similar features. I too, am an Android user.

Tell me about the Colorado game species layers. Are they the same as the layers from CSU used in the Hunt Atlas? Do they include the summer and winter concentration areas?

Which species?

OnX recently changed their CO game species layers. Gotta say, I liked the CSU layers better.

stinky

FNG
Do you have the option to save maps to a microSD card or does it have to go to your phone's memory like ONx?

I just took advantage of Basemap’s Mother’s Day sake. I’ve played with BaseMap for a couple of days now and it seems great. Looking forward to scouting and comparing it to onX

hobbes

WKR
Good review.

I've been using OnX here in MT for several years now and have no complaints except for the price comparison. I'll be hunting South Dakota Black Hills next week. Instead of bumping to OnX Premium for $99, I decided to give Basemap a try. I'll try it out this weekend here in MT (and compare to OnX) then run it solo in SD next week.

CO-AJ

WKR
Ive been using the free version of BaseMap lately while we search for mountain property. I really like the property boundaries and it seems the location icon is very close to true. I want to try it on some hiking trails and am wondering if it details known trails like COTREX, Guthook, or Gaia does.

If I download an offline map can I change any features to the map? Say I download a google earth map and want to switch to topo can this be done?

On onx I can toggle between satellite/hybrid/topo.

Thanks