Basic scope...with the best glass

Been trying to find a no frills scope to top a 257 wby. This will be a pure hunting rifle, never more than probably 400 yards. I want something with a decent amount of zoom, thinkin 4-16 or so as my eyes aren't what they used to be. Won't be dialing up shots, so no BDC, no hashmarks, just your basic thin style duplex reticle. I want the clearest, most light transmitting glass possible. This will be used for deer and hogs, and if by chance I make it out west for Pronghorn. I have a VX-5HD on my 300 win mag, but didn't want to spend that much money for this one if I could help it.
Thoughts?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I got to compare several scopes last year at my local Sportsman's at dusk. I've always ran Leupold scopes, they've been very good to me over the years. I looked at a couple of nice Leupold scopes and they looked very good at dusk. I had the guy grab a Swaro Z3 for the heck of it, never thinking there could be any improvement. There was. Grabbed the Leupolds again and then the Swaro again, still an improvement.

Did the Leupold glass look good, absolutely, but the Swaro looked better.

I think in the Z3 line they offer three different reticles. The Z3's are very light too, a bonus- my 3-10x42 weighs a scant 12.6 oz :)

WRM

WKR
Get a fixed power Leupold and put the rest of the money in Yoh pocket. At the use point you describe, why pay for zoom you don't really need? Doug can hook you up.

A fixed powers is "better" at light transmission than a comparable variable because there are less internals to interfere with it.

EdP

WKR
You didn't mention price range so that makes it kind of hard. I will say that of the scopes I have, Vortex, Leupold, Burris, and Trijicon, all in the $300-$600 range, the Leupold has the best glass. The reticle is also more bold and easy to see in the Leupold w/o obscuring the target. (Note: all are second focal plane)

Personally I would not go over 12x on the top end for big game. 9 or 10 is really plenty even for my 67 y/o eyes out to 600 yds easily. The higher mags reduce your field of view and can make follow up shots more difficult.

Your comment about not dialing so no BDC doesn't make sense to me. I like BDCs because I don't dial and they make dialing unnecessary but allow for fast and accurate holdovers. The downside is you usually need to be on max power. If you just want to guess at your holdover buying a scope with a standard duplex reticle will save you a few $. You might consider getting one of the simple BDCs and only use it if you find you like it. You can always just ignore the hash marks.

OP
ThatredneckguyJamie
Your comment about not dialing so no BDC doesn't make sense to me. I like BDCs because I don't dial and they make dialing unnecessary but allow for fast and accurate holdovers. The downside is you usually need to be on max power. If you just want to guess at your holdover buying a scope with a standard duplex reticle will save you a few $. You might consider getting one of the simple BDCs and only use it if you find you like it. You can always just ignore the hash marks.
I've got a few other rifles in calibers where I have to worry about holdover, I want one I don't. With the 257 Weatherby my plan is to sight it in 3" high at 100 yard, 0-350 yards should within in a 6" circle.

I'm leaning towards the Zeiss that alot of folks on here seem to love. Their 3-12 by 44 is looking tempting.

OP
ThatredneckguyJamie
Budget is not set in stone..but the Leupold VX-5's seem to have went to be nearly $1k and I'd like to stay well south of that...The Zeiss are running around $700, that would be more in line with that I wanted to spend for the intended purpose of this rifle

EdP

WKR
The Zeiss looks like a nice scope but doesn't have a parallax adjust. Many scopes 12 power and over do. That may not be important to you but it is a feature I appreciate.

Wheels

WKR
I’ve got a Swarovski Z3 3-10x42 on one of my rifles and it has incredible glass without all the gadgets. They can be found in the $7-800 range.

Vaultman

WKR
The Zeiss looks like a nice scope but doesn't have a parallax adjust. Many scopes 12 power and over do. That may not be important to you but it is a feature I appreciate.
The OP's first question was on a 4-16. The Zeiss V4 4-16 does have parallax. Plus it is a 30mm tube. Once I went 30mm, I decided I'd never go back to a 1" tube.

I have a vortex 3x15 x42 1st gen RAZOR LH . it's on a 7mag and I have been very happy with it . 2nd Gen has turrets. Not sure if there's many used ones around. There were some closeouts at euro optic and other vendors for awhile that were a steal.

Antares

WKR
Best glass with a basic reticle? Tangent Theta 315H.

Also look to Zero Compromise 4-20, Swarovski, March, and NF ATACR lines, probably in that order.

Cheers,
-mox

Did you read the part where he wants to stay “well south” of $1,000?

Honestly, I’ve been pretty impressed with the “cheap” Burris E1 4.5-14x scope I bought for a kick-around 223 rifle. Not too much I can’t hit inside 400 yards with the ballistic plex reticle. I think I paid less than $200 for it. Bought a 3-9x version as well.