Battery powered chainsaws.

Anyone with any experience with the Stihl or Milwaukee battery powered chainsaws?

I'm looking at an MSA 160 C-B, MSA 200 C-B, or the Milwaukee.

It seems with both of the Stihl saws I can charge a battery in about the same time as I could drain one, that's according to rated operation time. Haven't checked on the Milwaukee but I have around 8 batteries between 4 amp hour to 9 amp hour already and would probably get the tool with the 12 amp hour battery. So I don't feel like the charge time is as important.

Use is basically small limb clearing, and removing small invasive trees/bushes. Trail clearing. I like the idea of preserving the little hearing I have left, and having it in the back of the utv and not needing to pull start it everytime. I have gas powered saws, not trying to replace those. Just thinking one if these would be easier to use for some things rather than a heavier saw.

Anyone familiar with either? I use to use a 120v stihl for cabin work inside. That would do everything I want, except I don't want to start up the generator.

Lawnboi

WKR
Have used the Milwaukee a bunch. You need the big batteries to get any time out of it, but if you already have any Milwaukee tools it’s a win/win.

I don’t think you can beat a gas saw for any serious cutting but for what you require I think you would be happy with it.

We use a dewalt battery powered chainsaw when we are hunting and it is a game changer, especially on ATVs while bear hunting in the spring.

damxam

Lil-Rokslider
My buddy has the makita battery saw. Also for trail clearing and quick one offs. It’s fun and does an ok job... definitely runs out of juice quick if bucking up the log you just cleared. We tend to just use the silky big boy or katanaboy instead.

ShakeDown

WKR
I have the Milwaukee and it does the job. Definitely doesn’t replace a gas long bar but for light trail work hard to beat the simplicity and ease.

I have the MSA-120 which is the same bar length as the 160, I really like it. I keep it in the truck during hunting season for clearing trails and roads. It is nice to not smell like exhaust while going hunting and gas doesn’t leak out in the back of your truck. I’ve been surprised at the stuff it’ll rip through. As far as battery life, I just use it on occasion and it’s never ran out. Also, I left it at my cabin for almost a year and when I got back to it the battery was still holding a full charge.

If you already have a battery powered recip saw, you can grab a 12” Diablo carbide pruning blade and meet most of your requirements too. The pruning blades have really impressed me. I don’t pull out the chainsaw for stuff unless it’s 6” in diameter or bigger now.

I am also a lineman and work for a major utility who switched all of our stihl gas powered saws in for Milwaukee. I much prefer the milwaukee. No pulling the cord 20 times, no more worrying about the carb being gunked up. Like stated above, we put some longer bars and chains on them and cut some big transmission wood poles up with them. The large batteries are a must, but they last a good amount of time imo.

I have a Milwaukee for chores around the house and to keep in the truck. Works great with big batteries. I have Milwaukee power tools so it was an easy decision.

*zap*

WKR
never used a battery chainsaw but my experience with milwaukee M-18 tells me that one would have a place for sure if I was inclined to purchase one...I may get a M-18 string trimmer first thou.

22lr

WKR
Just picked up a Kobalt 40v saw. As a consumer grade saw for occasional work, cannot be beat. Very surprised how much power it had, and takes the same battery as my mower so I have 2 batteries now.

Battery powered stuff is great for occasional use, but im guessing anyone that uses a chainsaw all day is even looking at anything besides a professional grade Stihl so...

For my purposes (under a cord a year total), ill never go back to a gas saw! When you compare cheap gas saw to the 40v battery says, its a double no brainer. I paid $168 on sale for the saw, plus battery and charger. But I needed a spare battery for my mower anyways so it was all the better!

Rich M

WKR
I have run with the $60 electric chain saw and the electric pole saw from Harbor freight and a Honda 2000 generator.

Taken down at 150 ft tall maple in my back yard and even cleared fallen oak trees on hunting lease.

Just bought wife a battery chain saw, blower and shrub trimmer setup. Get about 30 minutes run time on chain saw.

Don't know if I'll ever use my Husqvarna again. It's just nice not to have the noise stress when clearing, trimming, topping, and felling trees.

dubllung4

FNG
I think you answered your own question. The Stihl and Milwaukee are comparable in performance, but if you already have other M18 batteries the Milwaukee is a no brainer. I have one and love it, use it all the time. My neighbor has the Stihl and seems happy with it.

Another Dewalt fan. 20V chainsaw and pole saw. TBH I went dewalt because i had the batteries already for my other tools. Just my intuition but I would suspect Stihl Makes a better chainsaw but I wood give dewalt the edge in battery tech.

Mostly use around the yard for times when i don’t want to fire up a gas saw. For cleaning up a tree stand or cut shooting lanes they are the bees knees. Batteries last longer than I thought they would. You still need oil.

OP
Billy Goat
never used a battery chainsaw but my experience with milwaukee M-18 tells me that one would have a place for sure if I was inclined to purchase one...I may get a M-18 string trimmer first thou.

Have the string trimmer. With 9ah battery it lasts pretty good. Use their big blower too. These things are getting me converted to the battery stuff. No dealing with pulling a cord or maintenance of the gas engine.

OP
Billy Goat
If you already have a battery powered recip saw, you can grab a 12” Diablo carbide pruning blade and meet most of your requirements too. The pruning blades have really impressed me. I don’t pull out the chainsaw for stuff unless it’s 6” in diameter or bigger now.

I run those pruning blades a lot. Actually been using them for several years. The only problem is since they cycle back and forth they can gum up, where a rotating chain will pull chips. They do work really well tho.