Battle of the 30s

FURMAN

WKR
Maybe it stems from fond memories of our fathers or grandfathers pulling the ol' 30-06 out of the cabinet with the faint aroma of Hoppe's No. 9 or from reading too many Jack O'Connor stories. Maybe it's another reason altogether. It seems as if most of us have a very strong opinion of what the best cartridge is. Over the next several months I will be testing an old warrior along side two of the newest and hottest 30 caliber cartridges. I will be testing the 300 Winchester Magnum, the 30 Nosler, and the new 300 PRC. The plan is to have three 26" barrels, using H1000, and Berger 215s to see how they compare. I will also be testing a few select factory ammo offerings in each. Will we have a clear winner? I guess we will see. Stay tuned.

qQaF5VLl.jpg

Left: 300 WM with 215 Berger seated with the boat tail junction at the neck shoulder junction
Middle: 300 prc factory 212 ELD-X
Right: 30 Nosler with a 215 Berger seated .030 off the lands of a SAAMI chamber.

Update 1/1/20. Here is the link to the final review: https://www.rokslide.com/battle-of-the-30-cals/

Last edited by a moderator:

mt100gr.

WKR
Well this will be interesting. I am definitely on board to see how they stack up, though I doubt it will make me yearn for more than my 300WM that pumps those 215s out at 3025fps. 28" barrel, H1000.

Looking forward to it, Ryan.

mtmuley

WKR
Send me a barrel, brass, and dies and we will make it happen. LOL!

Maybe myself or someone else could load one with the same parameters, Bergers and H1000, and compare notes. Looking forward to what happens with the other three though. mtmuley

OP
FURMAN

FURMAN

WKR
Maybe myself or someone else could load one with the same parameters, Bergers and H1000, and compare notes. Looking forward to what happens with the other three though. mtmuley

This will be a strictly controlled side by side for a review on this forum so unfortunately that will not work. You are more than welcome to post your results in this thread. As stated in the OP I will be using 215s and H1000 in 26" barrels. I will discuss where I hit pressure but the focus will be on accuracy nodes. I am not a RUM guy but I really see it shining with 230s.

Kraze

FNG
Looking forward to following along for this! What's the main point of comparison you'll be testing? Accuracy at 100 yards? Accuracy at distance? Velocity? Efficiency? Cost to reload per round? Case life? All of the above? Haha man, there's a lot of data points you could gather on this. Should be interesting!

OP
FURMAN

FURMAN

WKR
Mainly velocity inside the accuracy node but I plan on testing some of the better factory ammos for those who don’t reload. Velocity means nothing if it’s not accurate. Most likely they will see very little testing at short distance. I don’t really feel cartridge selection means much at shorter distances. Cost of components is also something I will ignore because you can figure that out without my help and we all have different thresholds for acceptable costs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

packer58

WKR
Looking forward to the results also, finishing up my 30 nosler in a couple months.........

I look forward to reading about your results. What are the details on the rifles for each?

OP
FURMAN

FURMAN

WKR
I look forward to reading about your results. What are the details on the rifles for each?

I will include some data from rifles over the last three years but the three rifles used for the review will be Savage with a Wilson barrel in 300WM, a Fierce CT Edge with a Proof 300 PRC, and a Bighorn SR3 with a HCA Carbon Killer 30 Nosler.